New Martin M610 Strings - CAUTION WITH FIRST RUN

Ragtop232

Reaction score
I received my new Martin M610 Concert strings a couple days ago. I can report these are very nice strings and best described by 50% fluorocarbon 50% NylGut sound. They have the very nice playability of fluorocarbon and some of the punch, but also balanced out with the mellowness of NylGut Strings. I think these are going to be a hit. Also the gray string color looks nice.

However, I assume it's the first run, but there's a labeling mistake with the inner string envelopes. They have reversed the labels, so be cautious if you order some of the first run. I haven't tried the M605 or M615 strings to know if they are mislabeled, but the M610's are as seen below.

package M610.jpg

envelope M610.jpg

Haha, and thanks for the heads up. Maybe you should send it to Martin just in case they don't know.

I have contacted the retailer I purchased them from and they contacted Martin.

I received my new Martin M610 Concert strings a couple days ago. I can report these are very nice strings and best described by 50% fluorocarbon 50% NylGut sound. They have the very nice playability of fluorocarbon and some of the punch, but also balanced out with the mellowness of NylGut Strings. I think these are going to be a hit. Also the gray string color looks nice.

However, I assume it's the first run, but there's a labeling mistake with the inner string envelopes. They have reversed the labels, so be cautious if you order some of the first run. I haven't tried the M605 or M615 strings to know if they are mislabeled, but the M610's are as seen below.

View attachment 106903

View attachment 106904

I looked and looked and looked at the packaging and I am not sure what you are saying is "reversed". The only thing I can think of is you are referring to the sound hole picture with string position indicated. If that was a music sheet you are correct it would be reversed but it is a picture of the front of a ukulele. Because of this the packaging picture is correct. #I is at the bottom, #4 is at the top.

If I have got this wrong please fill me in as I am trying to understand. Thanks.

Dave, what he meant is that on the white envelopes, the G is labelled as "1st", the C as "2nd", the E as "3rd", and the A as "4th", whereas the green package has the reversed order, which is conventionally correct (A=1, E=2, C=3, G=4). According to the white envelopes, you'd have to use the thickest string for the E instead of the C, and the thinnest for the G instead of the A.

To be honest, I think this says a lot about their "expertise"; maybe this sort of confusion is the reason for why their saddles are compensated so counterintuitively... :confused: :uhoh:

Last edited:
Dave, what he meant is that on the white envelopes, the G is labelled as "1st", the C as "2nd", the E as "3rd", and the A as "4th", whereas the green package has the reversed order, which is conventionally correct (A=1, E=2, C=3, G=4).

To be honest, I think this says a lot about their "expertise"; maybe this sort of confusion is the reason for why their saddles are compensated so counterintuitively... :confused: :uhoh:

Thanks Rainer, I knew I must have been missing something. Not enough coffee this morning :eek:

Rakelele, exactly. If you look at the white envelope, the string is labeled incorrectly, however, they did get the string gauge correct for the corresponding string number. So, the envelope labeled G-1 .0228 should be labeled A-1 .0228, the envelope labeled 2-C .0287 should be labeled 2-E .0287, the envelope labeled 3-E .0318 should be labeled 3-C .0318 and envelope labeled 4-A .0236 should be labeled 4-G .0236.

These strings really do sound great though. You just have to be cautious when putting them on until they get the labeling figured out. This is a collaboration between Martin and Aquila Strings and you would think they would get this right, but sometimes things slip through the cracks I guess.

Rakelele, exactly. If you look at the white envelope, the string is labeled incorrectly, however, they did get the string gauge correct for the corresponding string number. So, the envelope labeled G-1 .0228 should be labeled A-1 .0228, the envelope labeled 2-C .0287 should be labeled 2-E .0287, the envelope labeled 3-E .0318 should be labeled 3-C .0318 and envelope labeled 4-A .0236 should be labeled 4-G .0236.

These strings really do sound great though. You just have to be cautious when putting them on until they get the labeling figured out. This is a collaboration between Martin and Aquila Strings and you would think they would get this right, but sometimes things slip through the cracks I guess.

I found the same labeling error on a new pack of M620 tenor fluorocarbons, so apparently this is not an isolated print error. Great strings, but install with caution.

Attachments

• CC6193AB-A6D2-4173-B687-897C69F7C68A.jpg
    CC6193AB-A6D2-4173-B687-897C69F7C68A.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I would find this problematic. Although I might catch something like this before cutting, I probably wouldn't. I always go by the string number. Thanks for the heads-up.

Top Bottom