Which pickup?

lifereinspired

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm hoping to order an Outdoor Ukulele and I want to add a pickup. I'll likely be starting with a soprano (though still not quite 100% certain, I only mention this in case it has a bearing on which option would be better).

I'm kind of a tech geek and I want the pickup so I can plug into my computer or my spouse's iPad (we have managed to get several cool music creation apps on there now). The problem is, I just don't know how much of a difference there will be in the two options. Both are made by K&K. I think that one is the Aloha Twin (seen here: http://kksound.com/products/alohatwin.php) and I believe that the other is the Big Island Spot (seen here: http://kksound.com/products/bigislandspot.php). These seem to be the two options that best match up with the descriptions posted on the Outdoor Ukulele website (seen here as the K&K Single Passive or K&K Twin Passive pickups: https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/custom-shop). My understanding is that they'll install at no additional cost, if/when you purchase the pickup with the uke. The single passive is $45 and the twin passive is $95. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the differences and similarities, pros and cons of each. Why I would or wouldn't want either one.

This is probably a dumb question but I don't have another way of obtaining an answer. I've read in passing, comments that seem to indicate that if your have a pickup in your uke (at least with the OU brand), that pickup connector can act as one of your strap buttons. Is this really true? So would a person rder one less strap button (just one rather than two)mas a result?

Any advice, assistance and expertise that you could share regarding these pickups would be incredibly wonderful - and hugely appreciated! Thank you, so, so much! I just feel really stuck not knowing more about them and having trouble searching for more info online. Definitely grateful for all of your help and assistance.

Thanks again, I truly am grateful. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Take very good care...

Is there a certain reason you want a pickup in an OUTDOOR 'ukulele? Don't get me wrong, I love mine and play it all the time when I'm out and about (it lives in my car), but it's not a beast I would touch with a 10' pole if I knew it could plug into anything. Those SBT pickups reproduce exactly what they "hear" from the soundboard (different from a UST which goes under the saddle and hears the strings directly - not applicable to the Outdoor design). What that means inside an OU seems like it would sound like a tin can crossed with a five gallon bucket. But maybe somebody with a pickup in theirs can prove me wrong.

My experience with SBT pickups makes really skeptical about thinking you might have nice results plugging it in. You'd have to really want the "Outdoor sound" (which is fairly different from a normal uke) to come through your pickup to make it worth your time and money. Maybe that's what you want, but if you're hoping to get a nice, normal, plugged in 'ukulele tone, think again. If it was me, personally, I'd force myself to decide: do I want a rugged, bombproof uke OR do I want a uke with a pickup to plug into my iPad?

To answer your questions, in my experience, the difference between the two pickups would be much less noticeable than the location of the install. Especially on such a resonant uke I imagine half an inch could make or break the sound. So they probably sound radically different, but who's to know which is better sight unseen?

Yes, you can use the endpin jack as a strap button.

Hate to be a downer, but from the very first time I saw that option on their site I asked myself: "WHY?!!??!?!?!" All the best.

I agree with both Brad and Keith. You don't install a pickup in a uke designed to be a "tank", if you get water or sand or dirt in the end jack it is not good. Brad REALLY knows what he is talking about, look at his credentials.

As a side note I purchased a Blackbird Farallon which is an expensive high end uke from composite material designed for the outdoors. This has a great sound and is worthy of a pick up but I chose not to have one installed to keep it worry free.

You cannot plug an instrument cable into an ipad. To plug into a computer you will need to buy an interface. So you have $100 for the Outdoor Uke, plus $45.00 or $95.00 for a pick up plus$100- $200 for an interface. All this for a uke that is not a "studio" instrument. As Keith send if you do want to record and I think you should because it is a whole lot of fun get a decent USB mic. A USB mic will plug directly into your computer, no need for an interface. Then as you buy other ukes you can easily record everything, including your singing voice.

Last edited:
Get this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Schatten-LP-15-Outsider-Soundboard-External/dp/B01FCDHTLC

There are actually a lot of them, you can go much cheaper if you're willing to forgo the brand name and buy something direct from China: https://www.amazon.com/SUNYIN-Transducer-Microphone-Classical-Cello-Black/dp/B01M1GG05L

You can stick it on when you need it, and take it off for when you don't. I have a clip-on variety that works well. The sound isn't going to be studio-quality, but it'll do if you want to noodle around or plug the uke in (I use it for open mics when traveling).

If you want to get serious about recording, get a decent mic.

Like others above, I'd caution you to reset your expectations properly...

Plastic ukes, sound like plastic and not like wood nor wooden ukes.

Amplified plastic sounds like misery to anyone with a discerning ear.

You'd be better off putting that money you'd spend towards something that sounds better and more like a wooden uke, and have pickup put in there.

Unless, of course you want the sound of amplified plastic for some unconventional use or specific application.

Something like a Fluke or Flea maybe, with a pickup installed, which you can learn about from the megathread by clicking on the FAQ link in my signature below.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I really do appreciate you being honest with what you believe and you've experienced, even though you knew it isn't exactly what I'd want to hear. I really appreciate that. I'm still undecided about what to do but you're really making me rethink - and that's great. I've known there are some negatives to having a pickup in the uke and I'm definitely going back to the beginning to look at my options again. And, you've definitely helped me to better know what to expect from a pickup in an OU. I'm not wanting this for playing gigs, but (as I mentioned) for going into an iOS device (iPad) or laptop. I like that it's easy to simply grab a cable and plug in - though I also understand that it will require more care to have that option. I do see that making sure the pickup doesn't get junk down in it while having it outside, is a very valid consideration. Just out of curiosity, would a strap jack help protect the jack, in this type of situation or on an everyday basis?

Quick background on my thinking to explain why I've been considering it, as little as $45 installed to have the ability to plug in quickly anytime I want to, has been enticing.

Just so I can clarify, are you recommending a mic over this type of pickup because it will get more of the sound of the strings vs the K&K passive pickups will give more of the sound of the "body" of the uke (with the strings) and, as K&K said, anything that produces vibrations? Obviously, in this case, it's the sound of a polycarbonate uke. While I do believe what you're saying and I'm accepting what that it's true, I want to make sure I understand (and learn) exactly why this is the case. The other reason I've been considering this is simply because I heard an OU with a pickup run direct on a video and actually was impressed with the sound. Maybe it's new uke ears, or just what I like. FWIW, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/JJaYU2ISaWo?t=7m45s I've started the link at 7m 45s where he plugs it in. Whether you're surprised with the sound positively or think it's the worst thing you've ever heard, I'd like to know.

I know it will sound different than a wooden uke. I have listened/watched every OU video I can find on YouTube (obviously from the above). :) I don't mind that particularly, at least in this case, for what it offers. And some of the setups I've heard sound really good, if different, to wooden ukes. I've heard people say that OUs have a more percussive sound and I actually enjoy that. While I know I will end up getting other ukes at some point, I'm also trying to "simplify" my life. As much as I can already feel UAS at times, I'll try to keep my uke acquisitions more minimal, so to speak. Even if it sounds different, I like how much one of the Outdoor Ukes gives me in one option. I don't know if that makes sense. I really don't want to be afraid of bringing the uke everywhere, traveling with it for my surgeries, using it outside, in the hospital, etc. I don't know if it would be easier to plug it in to an iPad (for fun) somewhere like a hospital or use a mic. (kinding of thinking or musing outloud here...).

On a related note, what do you think about some of the Myers pickups? I've seen the Feather recommended by them for ukes. It's probably something I'd "save up" for, but obviously, it would work for most any uke that I'd get without having to worry about whether it had a pickup or not. And that would have benefits, too. It's just 2-4x the price of the K&K. But, that might be worth it. Again, I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially, after hearing the pickup on the video. How would the sound on an option like this, or a mic, be different than the pickup.

As to the interface, I already know. In fact, that's why I wanted a pickup. My spouse actually got an iOS/USB/Laptop interface for Christmas (though we didn't like the first one and are still in the process of deciding on which one we'll get - he fell and broke his arm so I've been researching but we've not tried another one yet since he can't play at the moment). But he already has a guitar with a pickup that he wants to play through the iPad since we have several cool apps that can act as amps etc. That's why he wanted the interface for Christmas. So, making sure that the uke I get has pickup as well, seemed obvious, at this point.

To be clear, I don't want something that will sound awful in the end. While I'm new to ukes - and I'm not a music professional, I did work as a professional music engineer in Nashville for a time. I'm only saying this because I do like good sound (as much as I can afford) and don't want the end result to sound awful. It doesn't necessarily have to sound wooden, but I don't want it to sound terrible.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the above. Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond. It's obvious that you are extremely knowledgeable and I really appreciate you taking the time and energy to share that knowledge and experience with me. :)

Lots of questions!

The jack has the "strap" capability built-in. It doesn't do anything to protect sand from going into the hole.

I think the video sounds fine. FOR AN OUTDOOR UKE. If you like the sound then that's all you need to know. A lot of people would be underwhelmed which is why I think we were helping to curb your expectations. But if you're going to be happy with the sound, that's all that really matters.

The Meyers seems WAY overkill for most applications. You've got to have a use for it. Otherwise, you can buy a little USB mic for 1/3 the price and get a similar sound for - I would guess - less headache.

A mic is going to sound more true to the acoustic sound of the 'ukulele. Basically it will sound like the uke, just louder. A pickup always colors the sound to some degree. But even with a mic it will still sound like an OU.

A non-wooden-y sound is going to sound terrible to some people. Some people hear with their eyes. Some people would ask if your cello was a Kamaka because they swore the recording sounded like a koa uke. But at the end of the day, you've got to be happy.

For what it's worth, it seems to me (as an OU owner) like the demo video you linked to is in the ballpark of what I would expect (maybe a little better) from that uke. But I wouldn't be happy with it on my recording. IMO, the uke sounds I've gotten on my records are pretty decent. Good enough for me to be happy, at least. You might check them out to get a feel for what I think is a high-fidelity recording of a fabulous uke. Just my ear/opinion. But it would be pretty fair to say that those are close to the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

An electrified plastic uke like the Outdoor uke will sound fine amplified, despite what some others are saying. It depends on the quality of pickups and the contact/vibration.

To illustrate, one of the best sounding electric ukuleles on the market, the Risa Uke-Solid, has an aluminium bridge and a plastic saddle. The wood plays no role in its amplified sound

In this case, if the company offers installation, that's normally the way to go.

Last edited:
As an Outdoor Uke owner, this has been an interesting thread to follow. What I keep asking myself is why you want to plug in the uke. If it's "just for fun" why not just use the internal mic in the iPad? Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when the sound you end up with plugged in really isn't any better (and seems worse on the video you linked).

An electrified plastic uke like the Outdoor uke will sound fine amplified, despite what some others are saying. It depends on the quality of pickups and the contact/vibration.

To illustrate, one of the best sounding electric ukuleles on the market, the Risa Uke-Solid, has an aluminium bridge and a plastic saddle. The wood plays no role in its amplified sound

In this case, if the company offers installation, that's normally the way to go.

The design of the Outdoor Ukulele has the bridge, saddle, and top fused as one piece. No chance of a UST install, unfortunately. Which would, as you say, "ignore" the body tone to some degree. Since OP's only option is a SBT pickup style, the body tone will indeed play a part in the sound.

More great information. Thanks so much to everyone who is sharing!

So, here's a question. One of the interfaces we're looking at is the Apogee One. They now have drivers etc that allow it to work with iOS, Mac, and Windows. One thing that we both want in an interface is the ability to charge the iPad while in use, which this can do. One thing that makes this different from a lot of interfaces is that it actually has a built in mic. Some of the reviews (from people with clearly a lot of experience) is that the mic is fantastic. What I'm not sure about is if a mic, is a mic, is a mic for the purposes of a uke or if you want a specific type. Would this potentially work for what I want to do? If so, this makes it potentially a great option as it buys the interface that my spouse needs with a mic that I can use. Plus we have $50 off from saved up points which we can add to one of the sales offered. Makes it more reasonable in cost.

Secondly, would there be other small mics similar to the Myers that allows some freedom of movement with the uke. Nothing crazy. But with most mics I'll obviously have to be very careful as to how I have/keep their distance and placement. Just wondered if there might be other similar options that are less expensive. Except for the price, the Myers seem to be a good option in that they get most of the sound that one wants, and nothing else. Part of my interest here is that I've found a couple of interesting ukes at local shops that I really liked but I wasn't giving much thought to because I do want to have pickup type capability, and these didn't have one. A couple were definitely my favorite sounding ukes that I've tried and some were decent prices, too. There was a vintage, a one-of-a-kind handmade special, a beautiful toned Gretsch tenor (I'm sure not as nice as some other but had a lovely warm tone compared to anything else in this particular shop) that wasn't very expensive. To compare, the Gretsch version with a pickup also had a cutaway (and was almost twice the price) but both my spouse and I could hear had a much less desirable sound, in comparison. If I could find a satisfactory option that would allow me to use it on any uke, I'd probably be ahead of the game in the future as a pickup wouldn't be factored into the purchase.

(I know that I can add a pickup to most any uke later - except maybe the OU - but it tends to be way more expensive than purchasing one that's already installed from the factory. And, unfortunately, $$$ is a factor for me.)

Thanks again for all of your advice and expertise. I'm learning so much!

Lots of questions!

The jack has the "strap" capability built-in. It doesn't do anything to protect sand from going into the hole.

I think the video sounds fine. FOR AN OUTDOOR UKE. If you like the sound then that's all you need to know. A lot of people would be underwhelmed which is why I think we were helping to curb your expectations. But if you're going to be happy with the sound, that's all that really matters.

The Meyers seems WAY overkill for most applications. You've got to have a use for it. Otherwise, you can buy a little USB mic for 1/3 the price and get a similar sound for - I would guess - less headache.

A mic is going to sound more true to the acoustic sound of the 'ukulele. Basically it will sound like the uke, just louder. A pickup always colors the sound to some degree. But even with a mic it will still sound like an OU.

A non-wooden-y sound is going to sound terrible to some people. Some people hear with their eyes. Some people would ask if your cello was a Kamaka because they swore the recording sounded like a koa uke. But at the end of the day, you've got to be happy.

For what it's worth, it seems to me (as an OU owner) like the demo video you linked to is in the ballpark of what I would expect (maybe a little better) from that uke. But I wouldn't be happy with it on my recording. IMO, the uke sounds I've gotten on my records are pretty decent. Good enough for me to be happy, at least. You might check them out to get a feel for what I think is a high-fidelity recording of a fabulous uke. Just my ear/opinion. But it would be pretty fair to say that those are close to the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

I watched a few of your YouTube videos (since you didn't leave a specific link, I was able to find via your websites). You've definitely were able to get a lovely sound on your ukes. Thanks for sharing.

I went back to rewatch the video I shared and while I like the sound of the strings, I paid more attention to the other sounds picked up and was definitely able to hear some of the "percussive" sounds also picked by the body. The sort of alternate, warm resonance doesn't bother me (again different from wood, but not bad) but I'm not liking the additional sounds that are picked up. Either I didn't listen well enough before or didn't hear on the setup I was using. I do like the string sounds on that, but I'm sure a mic or similar would also do the same thing.

...Apogee One...

Apogee makes great products and is considered high end. I have both the Apogee MiC and Apogee JAM which I bought nearly 3 yrs ago and they have been flawless for my use on Mac, iOS and Linux.

If you go to their store page on the Apogee web site and look under refurb products, you can often find items for up to 25% off retail, which also carry the full Apogee warantee.

If you check the FAQ link in my signature below, you can find lots of threads where I have detailed my experiences with these devices, as well as lots of other technical information regarding recording on iOS and computer, based upon my own work both as a professional sound engineer, as well as doing home recording since 1985,

...other small mics...

If you have not seen it already, you may want to have a look at the iRig Acoustic Stage mic and preamp system. (Note that this is different from the original iRig Acoustic Mic and much better IMHO)

Many of us here on UU have this iRig Acoustic Stage as well, and like it very much. There is a nice deep discussion with details on this system from when it came to marked about this time last year that you can find on this thread here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125196-NEW-iRig-Acoustic-Stage-99

Also fellow UU brother BazMaz, who runs the wonderful and helpful ukulele web site https://gotaukulele.com did a great review which you can see from the link in his thread here, and be sure to scroll down to the end of the written review on his site to see the video portion for a sound demo and how it looks installed.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Rig-Acoustic-Stage-on-Ukulele-REVIEW-and-test

Hope this helps!

Apogee makes great products and is considered high end. I have both the Apogee MiC and Apogee JAM which I bought nearly 3 yrs ago and they have been flawless for my use on Mac, iOS and Linux.

If you go to their store page on the Apogee web site and look under refurb products, you can often find items for up to 25% off retail, which also carry the full Apogee warantee.

If you check the FAQ link in my signature below, you can find lots of threads where I have detailed my experiences with these devices, as well as lots of other technical information regarding recording on iOS and computer, based upon my own work both as a professional sound engineer, as well as doing home recording since 1985,

If you have not seen it already, you may want to have a look at the iRig Acoustic Stage mic and preamp system. (Note that this is different from the original iRig Acoustic Mic and much better IMHO)

Many of us here on UU have this iRig Acoustic Stage as well, and like it very much. There is a nice deep discussion with details on this system from when it came to marked about this time last year that you can find on this thread here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125196-NEW-iRig-Acoustic-Stage-99

Also fellow UU brother BazMaz, who runs the wonderful and helpful ukulele web site https://gotaukulele.com did a great review which you can see from the link in his thread here, and be sure to scroll down to the end of the written review on his site to see the video portion for a sound demo and how it looks installed.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Rig-Acoustic-Stage-on-Ukulele-REVIEW-and-test

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the nod confirming Apogee's quality and your experiences with it. That's great to hear! It's because of the pricing that we're looking to combine our saved points dollars with a sale price. However, I had no idea about the refurbs on the Apogee site - and with full warranty. That's just a fantastic information. Thanks so much for sharing it. I really appreciate it. We certainly don't have unlimited funds and this may be a really great option.

Also, thanks for the info on the iRig Stage. I actually had seen Baz's review and found it interesting. It might be a good options for us. We'd like to find something that could be used on my spouse's classical guitar as well as my uke (and any future ukes ;) ). I'll definitely keep it in mind and learn more about it.

Again, thanks for the info on both! I really appreciate it. :D

OK, just to follow up, sort of full circle, I thought I'd share that you've managed to talk me out of the pick-up in the OU. I've not yet decided on what alternative I'll go with but I don't have to know that yet. I just need to know not to order the pickup with the OU.

It's a very appealing idea that another amplification option, (other than a pickup) would be able to be used on any uke I like (without having to be concerned whether it comes with a pickup) or (many of the possible options) could also be used on my spouse's classical guitar which also had no way of amplification.

So, thanks to all. It was a bit difficult to reexamine/rethink at first, but it was the right thing. I thank you all for being so honest, even when it wasn't the easiest thing to do. You've helped me make a good decision on this and come up with a much better setup for the future. Since we don't have unlimited funds, I'm particularly grateful for the help getting a better setup from the beginning - and not finding out that I've wasted money on the pickup (which I'd have to keep clean when I take it everywhere). And I'm actually really happy that some of the other ukes that I've tried & liked a lot - but had dismissed because they had no pickup, are now options that will be able to do everything that I want regardless by going with a mic or something, instead. Once again, thank everyone. I really appreciate your help.

Ok, let's clear up a few things on the philosophy of use on pickups for ukuleles.

A pickup on an ukulele, be it undersaddle or contact transducers on the body, are best for amplification - ie: play louder through an amplifier.
You can do this for being heard better in performances, or to add electric guitar effects.

They are not an excellent means for recording.
Best way to record ukulele is through a studio microphone, not through the pickup.
Some people record this way as a means of convenience, but it's not an ideal way.
Raw acoustic sound of an ukulele through a microphone is always a better representation of the ukulele sound than the artificial electronic sound generated by pickups and preamps. Furthermore, how your playing sounds to your ears is not how you sound through your pickup. When you can't immediately hear what is being recorded through the pickup while recording, there will be a discrepancy between how you *think* your recording sounds and how it actually sounds.

The best performing pickups are usually ones that are permanently and appropriately installed on the instrument.
Undersaddle pickups are popular for this reason. They're not perfect, but they often give the cleanest and strongest outputs, useful for amplifying.
I always have electronics installed in all my ukuleles and guitars. If they come as acoustic-electric, that's perfect! If they don't, I install my own (or pay a bit to have it installed). For me, it's worth having each instrument be it's own acoustic-electric.
Pickups that temporarily attach to an instrument are often compromised designs, sometimes in quality of the output produced or durability of the device over time (repeated use of attaching/detaching causes wear and tear, whereas a permanent pickup system stays securely in place)

My suggestion is, if you also want amplification for other instruments, such as your spouse's classical guitar - install a pickup system on it.
Want best bang for the buck? Buy one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artec-Unde...-Classical-Nylon-String-Guitars/111945391145?

And have a luthier or guitar technician install it for you. You'll also need an output jack to go with it.
Make sure you pick that Artec brand, and not some cheapo no-name piezo (they suck). They also make piezo's for Ukulele - and they're one of the best darn undersaddle piezo's on the market.

If I was buying one of those Outdoor ukes, I'd go for the K&K option offered by the manufacturer. From the sample video, it seems they give a good output signal - very usable with a decent amplifer and/or preamps. A piezo is not a microphone - it's something that translates physical vibrations on a hard surface into electrical signals.
Those vibrations don't need to be made on wood to sound good. From the sample you posted earlier, the sound was just typical piezo-ukulele sound - not at all like plastic. Given that you can't install an undersaddle pickup on an Outdoor Uke, that K&K passive option is probably one of the best ways to amplify it anyway.

As for high quality recording options..
You can invest hundreds of dollars on an interface and a separate XLR microphone and spend lots of time tweaking the settings and dealing with a bit of wiring and space.

Or you can be simple and cheap like me and just get a good quality USB studio mic, like a Samson C01U and just record like that.
You can still achieve decent quality recordings with a simple, cheap setup like that:

For example, here's me using just a USB mic and Audacity recording app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62JPJRTRWU

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @kissing. I really appreciate it. It definitely helped me understand the differences.

If money were no object, I'd go ahead and get the K&K pickup installed but I just don't have unlimited funds. Given that the OU carbon soprano will be my go everywhere unit, maybe it will be better not to have to worry about getting dirt and junk up in the pickup, I don't know. But I'm certainly going to be sure that I have a good mic to record, one way or the other. That's the main reason I wanted the pickup originally, anyway, was to be able to record either via iPad or Windows. I *really* appreciated hearing the recommendation of the Samson mic! I've had several folks mention getting a "good" inexpensive USB mic but have not had any actual recommendations. Seeing how versatile that unit is (working in iOS, Android, Windows, etc). is great and it's also extremely well reviewed. We may also end up getting an Apogee One which also has (by all accounts) a very good mic built in, which would be another option for me. One day, I actually hope to get a Myers Pickup. That would work on either of my ukes and most any other instrument, too. But that will likely have to wait. :) Again, I really, really appreciate you sharing the information. I learned a lot and it makes sense now about the differences in the pickups vs mics for different purposes. Huge thanks for taking the time to post and share. :)

Late to the party as always, but the following may be useful to some in the future.

DownupDave is not quite correct. You cannot plug an instrument cable into an ipad, but you can do with the following cable.
Griffin do the Guitar connect cable, 1/4 inch jack, small jack socket for headphones and a small jack that plugs into your apple. the small audio jack socket has gone from most apple products but my 12.9" ipad has the audio socket.

https://griffintechnology.com/intl/products/audio/home-studio/guitarconnect-cable

No Connections to Griffin, just an owner of this cable.
h

Last edited:
Late to the party as always, but the following may be useful to some in the future.

DownupDave is not quite correct. You cannot plug an instrument cable into an ipad, but you can do with the following cable.
Griffin do the Guitar connect cable, 1/4 inch jack, small jack socket for headphones and a small jack that plugs into your apple. the small audio jack socket has gone from most apple products but my 12.9" ipad has the audio socket.

https://griffintechnology.com/intl/products/audio/home-studio/guitarconnect-cable

No Connections to Griffin, just an owner of this cable.
h

@HMS, that is fantastic. I didn't end up with the pickup on my OU but my spouse is looking to plug in his acoustic/electric guitar into his iPad. At some point, we're going to get an interface but this eliminates the need for now. Granted no fancy DA conversion but at $29, it's a very reasonable tradeoff. I'm so grateful you shared this. Much less $$ than even the original iRig and potentially less buggy since it's just a cable. AFAIK, the iPads all still have headphone jacks so this should still work for many, including older iPhones, too. If I end up with something like the iRig Acoustic Stage or a sale on the Myers Pickup, this would also work for me. I assume it would also work for laptop or anything else with a line in/headphone jack? Thanks SO much for taking the time to share!!!

Top Bottom