First Day beginner!

Schurmay

Reaction score
Please forgive me if I do any of this wrong. I have never used a form before and i hope im doing this right.

I have always wanted to play the ukulele...Since FOREVER! I recently got one as a gift and i love it.. Dont know how to play anything yet. But that is because i feel like my fingers get caught on the strings to much, i feel like i dont put enough pressure on them, so i put more on and then my fingers get caught.. I don't even know what i'm asking..

How do I get the fingers caught? :confused:

I have a Kala brand Ukulele. It's a concert size. They didn't tune it at all at the store. I did it my self with a tuner I bought, Kala brands as well. It's one that clips on top. I just feel like when i strum the strings, my fingers get caught on the strings and it doesn't give out a proper sound. My nails are short, and filed down! i just feel like im doing something wrong.

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forum. I’m not sure what you’re asking, but it would help to know what uke you have and what this sensation of having your “fingers caught” means. It could be any number of things. Maybe your action is set too high. Where did you buy your uke and did they do a proper setup? If it’s just your fingers that are sticking to the strings, in time they will develop callouses to make playing easier and that shouldn’t be a problem after awhile.

Welcome aboard. :)

Likely your problem is just down to poor technique, we all have to start somewhere, it will develop & get better as you grow more used to your instrument. ;)

(You may be dragging the strings instead of lifting your fingers up off them.)

Without knowing more, it sounds like your string action may be too high at the nut, and possibly the saddle. You didn't mention at what frets you are depressing the strings, only that you press down the strings and then find you need to press more. As suggested above, it is helpful to know what instrument you are playing and if it has been setup by a skilled tech.

Welcome to the forum.

I found Cynthia Lin's YouTube channel to be very helpful.
Start with her begginers lessons.

Welcome to the forums!

I found that I needed a lighter touch on the ukulele when I first started out. Try barely press down with your fretting hand. Alternate strumming with a fingernail with strumming with the pad of your finger and see what gives a better result.

I’m trying to figure out where your fingers are getting stuck. My students experience this when strumming over the sound hole instead of where the fretboard meets the body of the instrument. I’m not sure if this applies to you or not!

Start here! Good luck and dont give up.

I have a Kala brand Ukulele. It's a concert size. They didn't tune it at all at the store. I did it my self with a tuner I bought, Kala brands as well. It's one that clips on top. I just feel like when i strum the strings, my fingers get caught on the strings and it doesn't give out a proper sound. what do you mean by, maybe your action is to high?

I have a Kala brand Ukulele. It's a concert size. They didn't tune it at all at the store. I did it my self with a tuner I bought, Kala brands as well. It's one that clips on top. I just feel like when i strum the strings, my fingers get caught on the strings and it doesn't give out a proper sound. I'm so sorry if i sound stupid.. or.. clueless. I've never played string instrument before. what do you mean but what frets are ou depressing the strings? i just mean by strumming. I feel like my finger gets caught when i strum..

My nails are pretty short and filed down. I feel like.. they get stuck on the top or the bottom. Or maybe im strumming to hard.. i dunno. i'm nervous lol

Now do you mean right where the fret board meets the body? and i will check out the thread!

When you initially said "when I depress the strings" I thought you were talking about your fretting hand, and I think most others that responded thought the same. It now seems clear that you are talking about your strumming hand. If that is the case, then the best thing I can suggest is to relax the fingers on your strumming hand. It will take time and practice though. I admit I had bruises on my strumming hand in my first few weeks of playing.

I think most strum down with the index finger. Thumb can produce a nice soft sound too without nail.
I strum up too with index, but some use thumb for that. I always hit the top or something so it is not for me.

I guess that is the basic techniques described. Many youtube videos there for you :)

When you initially said "when I depress the strings" I thought you were talking about your fretting hand, and I think most others that responded thought the same. It now seems clear that you are talking about your strumming hand.

Schurmay, when you reply to a specific person, please hit “reply with quote” so that everyone can immediately see who and what you’re replying to. Based on what you’ve presented thus far on your end—and what robinboyd has pieced together on ours—I would suggest, in the chance that something is off with your string placement, that you find a local luthier and get a proper setup. I would also suggest taking a couple online or in-person lessons to see what exactly it is that you’re doing. In lieu of that, you could post close-up pictures of the uke and video of you playing it so that we can help you on the forum. For piece of mind and ease of play, I’d recommend a proper setup either way.

Lastly, and most simply, is to make sure your fingernails on your strumming hand are filed gently so that they are smooth to the touch. This is the most simple thing to do that can easily be overlooked...and the only other thing that I can think of that would cause your fingers to somehow “stick.”

Last edited:
I have a Kala brand Ukulele. It's a concert size. They didn't tune it at all at the store. I did it my self with a tuner I bought, Kala brands as well. It's one that clips on top. I just feel like when i strum the strings, my fingers get caught on the strings and it doesn't give out a proper sound. I'm so sorry if i sound stupid.. or.. clueless. I've never played string instrument before. what do you mean but what frets are ou depressing the strings? i just mean by strumming. I feel like my finger gets caught when i strum..

If the strings are loose, you have it tuned an octave too low, take any two strings & try to squeeze them together, it should take a bit of pressure with finger & thumb, (not too much though).

Top Bottom