JET 10-20 repair (again)

Timbuck

Reaction score
I received a package today from "The American Embassy in Rome":bowdown: it's another JET 10-20 spindle repair job...I don't know why they have a Jet sander in the Embassy.:confused:..But they found me on a Youtube video and decided that my repair kit was the best way to go about the fix.:cool:

I'm sure an embassy spends a lot of time smoothing things out.

I received a package today from "The American Embassy in Rome":bowdown: it's another JET 10-20 spindle repair job...I don't know why they have a Jet sander in the Embassy.:confused:..But they found me on a Youtube video and decided that my repair kit was the best way to go about the fix.:cool:

Obviously the American's in the Italian embassy do not have enough to do and have taken up building ukuleles. Be careful Ken that you don't become involved in an international "Ukulele Incident" which might lead to an ukulele war which could engulf the entire world. There is some evidence that the Russians may be involved in faulty spindle warfare. A dark corner of international ukulele relations. Good luck.

Last edited:

I would be surprised if the Embassy didn’t have maintenance staff to look after the building but why they would need a sander is not obvious, and then that much use to wear it out? Perhaps they might tell you what it’s used to make? It’s a puzzle why they didn’t just scrap it and get a replacement one too. There are authorised repair centres too (http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/10-20-plus-benchtop-sander/628900 , bottom of the page) so why wouldn’t a Government body use one?

Being quite cynical I wonder whether your mod will just be fed back to some company who will reverse engineer and patent it - wonder why they haven’t done it earlier. Intellectual property has a value, in law, and infringements can be expensive. That’s a trivial and laughable thought really, but so much in life is one or both of those and Embassies are there to look after their country’s interests. That’s just a thought, I’m not very trusting. Perhaps you might be better off returning their kit as received?

Last edited:
Or its simply someone who works there using their work address......

I would be surprised if the Embassy didn’t have maintenance staff to look after the building but why they would need a sander is not obvious, and then that much use to wear it out? Perhaps they might tell you what it’s used to make? It’s a puzzle why they didn’t just scrap it and get a replacement one too. There are authorised repair centres too (http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/10-20-plus-benchtop-sander/628900 , bottom of the page) so why wouldn’t a Government body use one?

Being quite cynical I wonder whether your mod will just be fed back to some company who will reverse engineer and patent it - wonder why they haven’t done it earlier. Intellectual property has a value, in law, and infringements can be expensive. That’s a trivial and laughable thought really, but so much in life is one or both of those and Embassies are there to look after their country’s interests. That’s just a thought, I’m not very trusting. Perhaps you might be better off returning their kit as received?

Talk about conspiracy theories .:D

Fear not lads ...the repair is for an American Guitar maker who has his business in Rome..I presume his Wife works at the embassy..and he uses that address for some reason.

Tell them to throw it in the Tiber. I just learned this morning the broken conveyor belt drive shaft on my 10/20 is going to be a $300 plus repair. I drove over to Grizzly and bought their 12 inch model for about twice that. A much better designed and heavily built machine. Just sanded two soundboards and love that Grizzly.
Brian Griffin. Griffin Ukulele

Top Bottom