Bowed bone blanks?

FinnP

Reaction score
I just spent time sanding an oversized overbowed bone blank straight, just to discover that it after five minuttes the face returned to the overbowed shape I started with. Very frustrating :(
Is there a way to straighten bone, heat etc.?
All of the blanks i ordered have this slight bow.
I've never experienced this before.
Anyone have a source for straight bone blanks?

I just spent time sanding an oversized overbowed bone blank straight, just to discover that it after five minuttes the face returned to the overbowed shape I started with. Very frustrating :(
Is there a way to straighten bone, heat etc.?
All of the blanks i ordered have this slight bow.
I've never experienced this before.
Anyone have a source for straight bone blanks?

Pictures please :confused:

Sounds like the bone was processed before it was cured. I purchase the bone blanks I use from Stew-Mac and have never had a problem in 20 years.

These days I use "Hosco" brand bone blanks sourced from Tonetech in the UK - I like the reliable and consistent sizing, and no issues at all with quality.

Never encountered this but it makes sense; bone is a lot like wood, it has a grain and the substance is gonna curl along grain lines. Try drying out in your oven and then sanding flat? Just a thought. I know nothing about processing bone. Maybe buy from a reliable bone supplier and buy bleached bone? Good luck.

I source just butchered bison legs from a local buffalo rancher, saw them in smallish pieces, simmer them in water for a couple of hours to get rid of the oils, Sit them in the sun for a few weeks, then saw again and sand them straight and flat. Never had one bend. Buffalo is harder/more dense than cow bone I am told. Only problem is what to do with those huge hooves.

How does the hardness of the hooves compare to the bone in your estimation? Other large land mammal bones?

The hooves are soft like your toe nails. Seems a waste to toss them in the garbage, but I have never come up with a use for them. The leg bone is hard as heck. I started using it when a 2nd generation Hawaiian bone carver told me bison bone is 34% harder than cow bone.

Top Bottom