Season 315: Choose Your Own Adventure!

And there I was, thinking I had this week's songs sorted out for the 365 challenge. Now frantically shuffling sheets of paper and practicing things I wasn't going to do....

I found three different way to do this, but, as usual, chose the easiest one. One of these days I'll get me a green screen so I can at least distract you with an interesting backdrop.

In the TV series, "The Patty Duke Show" in the 1960s, Patty played identical cousins.

This was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a little kid. Evidently this theme song was used for the first four episodes of Season 1, and I do remember this, though not as well as the 2nd theme song. This one of a very similar melody to "I'd like to teach the world to song", done in a Beach Boys-esque fashion. Catchy tune actually!

And I continue along this adventure back into my childhood. This was the theme song for this show I really remember. This one took over on episode 5 in season one, and was the theme song the rest of the way. This is a chordy bugger, but it was fun trying to work it out. Our dog Rayna also makes a cameo at the beginning, so I kept this take because of that.

And to complete this little adventure, since I am at times a completist, here's the closing theme to this show, which is another catchy tune. This was my first take. I also read when researching these songs that the show made a comeback in a partnership with Amazon just a few months ago, so I watched the trailer, and they appeared to be using the very first theme song, the one that only lasted the first 4 episodes of the original program.

Hi, Benji! This is the theme tune from a much-loved British TV series for children, called "Postman Pat" - I have no idea if it has ever been shown in the States. The series has recently been revived and Postman Pat has gone "high tech", with helicopters and all sorts of gadgets ... shudder! The original series was the one that our boys grew up with ... the cosy adventures of a country postman on his rounds.

Really fun theme Benji! I have several ideas for this week. I hope I can get to them all :)
The Wonder Years.

The BBC TV series Last of the Summer Wine was set in and round Holmfirth in West Yorkshire. My wife comes from that part of the country so we know it - she better than me, obviously as she grew up there but we lived just a few miles away in the next valley for six years. Obviously it has a certain resonance with us.

The theme tune for the series was played on harmonica so it was a no brainer for me to play it. I've used a tremolo harmonica though the original was almost certainly played on a chromatic harmonica.

The photos I found on Google Images and are two general shots of the area, two locations from the series and, finally a shot of the three main characters from the original series.

Theme from Mash. Bet you didn't think there were this many verses....

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Berni! Should be a fun week. . .

Researched theme songs and found this one from the tv series Leftovers. It's an Iris Dement tune called "Let the Mystery Be".

1st Sunday - TV Theme Song

Big John, Little John was a Sherwood Schwart sitcom creation that ran for one season in 1976-77. It starred Herb Edelman as a 40-year-old science teacher who drank from a pond that turned out to be the legendary Fountain of Youth while on vacation in Florida. This caused him to, at random times, change from his 40-year-old self to a 13-year-old kid played by Robbie Rist. Fortunately, since he was a middle-school teacher, he was frequently in school when it happened so Little John also seemed to belong there. Rist was probably most (in)famous for playing cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch. So this show ran when I was about the same age as Little John (Rist and I are almost exactly the same age) and I saw every episode.

Edelman was a well-established actor with a long, illustrious career and I don't know how he ever managed to get sucked into this show. He died in 1996 at the age of 62. Rist is now a director and voice-over actor, as well as a musician (singer and guitarist).

I don't expect anyone else to remember this show except maybe Randy.

Last edited:
1st Sunday - TV Theme

Officially, the Dick Van Dyke Show had only an instrumental theme, but his co-star Maury Amsterdam made up some lyrics for the tune that Van Dyke has sung for fans on numerous occasions.

Last edited:

Theme of A TV Show. My variational take on it anyway....:rolleyes:....MASH ...and I'll have my martini extra dry thanks Hawkeye !!

A quickly cobbled together and a bit wobbly here and mostly there interpretation of this great tune to the BBC television series of the same name, which I remember now singing and humming as a kid ,though never actually watching the program on the televisual interactive device downstairs but I think it was a hit on the radio as well.

There's little chance I'll choose a new chapter each day this week, but why not set the one-take-of-a-song-you're-not-that-familiar-with bar at the correct level on day one?

315#2: Five O'Clock World (The Drew Carey Show)

This was the theme during a couple of the early seasons. The choreography for the show's opening was terrific -- much better than my performance!

Top Bottom