Opinion, Romero Replica

Django

Reaction score
I like the look and sound of the new Romero Replicas, but I am not sure if it is worth the price, being produced in I believe Vietnam. Any options?

If you’re talking this model (as seen at the Uke Republic) http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/produc...plica-all-solid-spruce-mahogany-tenor-ukulele, the price seems fair for an equivalent solid wood, “blingy” import from Pono—and might even be a better price point than an equivalently equipped Pono.

Nothing against Pono...just using that brand as a comparable instrument (I can’t think of another brand that would fit in that range...A KoAloha Opio really isn’t the same thing).

Last edited:
I agree with Choirguy in so far as the Romero comparing favorably to Pono in sound, detail and a lower price. Pono are made in Indonesia and Romero Replica are in Vietnam so I really don't see a difference or concern. I thought all three examples at HMS sound wonderful, especially the mahogany. If it came with a radiused fretborad I would have already purchased it, seriously

Thanks for the feedback. My wife likes the Mango. I like the appearance of the Koa, but it seems to bark a bit and I am leaning toward the hog top. They all look to be very nice and any of them would be a nice addition. I was initially looking at the Tiny Tenors, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, which defeats my purpose for international travel.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave and choirguy. These are well priced. They likely compare to Pono quality wise. When I get to play one, if I like, i’d Buy one. I think RC are making terrific product. Try one, you will likely find you like it. Unlike a Pono, the Replica is a 12 fret to body joint. This is neither here nor there, but something to notice.
My .02 cents

I looked them over closely at NAMM and was very impressed with the build execution and the tone. Personally, I think they are nicer than anything I've seen even remotely close in price. My $0.02.

I am curious about these too. And I'd agree that their value can probably be best compared to Pono: They are both made in Asia (but not by one of the ominous Chinese factories), they are both the import line from well-respected luthiers, they are both made out of all solid woods and with wooden binding; they both have an impeccable mirror-flat gloss finish. The differences between the two are noteworthy as well: As mentioned above, the Romero Replica has the neck joint at the 12th fret, whereas Pono has 14 frets to the body; Pono offers a radius fretboard and now a side sound port along with other upgrade options such as a slotted headstock or armbevel.

Judging from the sound samples, I think the Romeros might have a bit more clarity, resonance and openness. Again, judging from distance, I think they are well worth the price, and I'd love to try one sometime. Out of the available wood options, I'd go for Mahogany. Personally, I could do without the Abalone purfling; maybe Pepe could think about having a slightly more affordable version without the bling.

I have decided to take the plunge. I will be getting the all Mahogany Replica that Cory played for the sound sample. I guess a sound sample from me won’t be necessary. For what it is worth, I will share my opinion. I went for the full setup, so it will be a few weeks, but should be worth the wait.

Last edited:
Oh man. I DO want to know what you think of the Replica. I know a little bit about RC Vietnam instruments as I have an all mahogany tiny tenor. It's an amazing instrument. I know the build quality is high. I know that Pepe's unique internal design features are outstanding. I really want to get a Replica.

My first thought when I saw this thread was "what is this a replica of"? I assumed it was something very rare, special and well known, justifying a replica.

Their website says: "A production replica of Pepe Romero’s handmade tenor ‘ukulele".

Was his handmade uke a one-off, or were other handmade examples sold, and now the production model is offered to make them more widely available? Regardless, it looks great, but I was just curious on the history.

My first thought when I saw this thread was "what is this a replica of"? I assumed it was something very rare, special and well known, justifying a replica.

Their website says: "A production replica of Pepe Romero’s handmade tenor ‘ukulele".

Was his handmade uke a one-off, or were other handmade examples sold, and now the production model is offered to make them more widely available? Regardless, it looks great, but I was just curious on the history.

You can always ask Pepe himself. But, I believe he makes a series of handmade versions (that Pepe make with his own hands) for sale. But, offers the Replica (made by some very, very talented Vietnamese luthiers) in larger quantities and at lower prices. Excellent quality control.

Pepe builds very few custom ukes per year and being high end customs, there is a large part of the market that could never own one. So he decided to make a production replica of his custom uke to put a quality instrument in the hands of a lot more people.

Other than bling, is there a difference between the replica and the grand tenor uke?

The grand tenor has a slightly larger body (deeper I believe). I don't own a grand tenor or replica but sure played them a lot when I was shopping for my TT6 and Baritone 6 last month. And they feel and sound great. A couple things stood out compared to the abundant Pono on the wall was a little more room on the neck, especially at the bridge for us fingerpickers and a more silky tone with a more guitar like sustain (rather than the more percussive fast ukulele decay). The grand had a little more boom to the bottom end but otherwise was similar on character to the other RC tenors. I liked them all but was leaning towards the spruce top variants—a little more timbre contrast and bite as you pick towards the sound hole and bridge (more like a guitar response).

Here's one of the series 5 spruce/koa originals:

https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4210-2013-pepe-romero-quotseries-5-ukulelequot-spko.html

Price isn't shown but the few I priced ranged from $3500 to $5000. This one looks to be more on the expensive side.

I've been on the fence for awhile. I have a very nice MTD-SP all solid wood - spruce top/mahogany Pono with excellent gloss finish. I've never bonded with it. I want to try the UPTL tuners on the Replica . I like my Pono AT so much I think that is why my MTD-SP sits. MTD-SP is very nice. Radius fretboard. I like Spruce tops. I like Acacia back and sides. Seems like a match in heaven for me. I also, prefer a matt finish. But, at same time the Spruce/Mahogany all blinged out Replica sounds pretty nice. Maybe is Cory...…… I know , if I could play the two spruce tops, I'd pick one and trade in my Pono. I'm just to far away so...………… interested to hear from others who play. I did immediately like both the matt and the gloss spruce top sound samples. I've never tried a 12 fret to body instrument and I'm a HUGE fan on Pono with there 14 frets to body. I think these compare well to each other. My .02 cents worth.

The grand tenor has a slightly larger body (deeper I believe). I don't own a grand tenor or replica but sure played them a lot when I was shopping for my TT6 and Baritone 6 last month. And they feel and sound great. A couple things stood out compared to the abundant Pono on the wall was a little more room on the neck, especially at the bridge for us fingerpickers and a more silky tone with a more guitar like sustain (rather than the more percussive fast ukulele decay). The grand had a little more boom to the bottom end but otherwise was similar on character to the other RC tenors. I liked them all but was leaning towards the spruce top variants—a little more timbre contrast and bite as you pick towards the sound hole and bridge (more like a guitar response).

That’s what I was thinking but have never seen the ukes side by side. I recently got a grand tenor from HMS and love it. The wider neck makes it easy to play and it sounds “big”. My Kamaka is my all time favorite but on the Grand the outside strings are further from the edge. Makes pull-offs easier.

There is a very long wait if you want one made by him. These don't have that wait. That is what they say in their marketing.

Top Bottom