Repair / restoration recommendations

Lacerta

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for good ukulele repair or restoration people? I have a 20s Weissenborn made uke that needs some repairs. Nothing too major but I would like to preserve the originality as much as possible, so looking for someone who would be sensitive to that.

I'm in the UK so it would be better to find someone here but I'm not averse to sending it overseas for the right person.

Thanks!

Frank Ford's shop at Gryphon Stringed Instruments are remarkably skilled in vintage instumnt restoration. Might be overkill for your needs.

Rob Collins (Yorkshire) or Liam Kirby (Bristol) could deal with difficult restoration issues.

If you're looking at comparatively simple issues then there are quite a few builders who could fix cracks, lifting bridge, etc.

If you post where you are, and what work is needed, I might be able to suggest someone fairly local you could speak to.

Thanks for the replies everyone

ProfChris - I'm in Somerset so Liam Kirby was someone I was considering (I've also tried one of his ukes in a shop and it was fantastic). His website doesn't mention that he does repairs and having had work done on a number of vintage guitars I'm conscious that the best builders aren't always the best repairmen (and they aren't always interested in repair work...) But he does seem like a good candidate.

Thanks!

Top Bottom