Cold Snap in the UK

I'd hang on a bit Ken. There'smore to come and all the roads are closed because of accidents. All the trains have slid off the rails and all the shops and schools are closed.

We are in a warm snap at the moment, -12C at night and -1C in the day. The warm weather can sometimes bring a dump of snow, we got maybe half of what is pictured. I was a little concerned as it is too early for spring to be here so when I found out the cold shifted to Europe I felt a little relief it is a shift in weather patterns rather than the arctic warming.

Been 4 days of this weather so far and it's forcast more of the same for the next week:( went in the workshop this morning and managed to fit a saddle and nut but it was too cold to stay in there even with the heater full on ..this pic was taken last night about 8 miles from our house...(Not by me)
Teesside snow by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
That would be a fair amount for us also although we are used to it and things would be back to normal in a day or two. Because of our low snow accumulation this year we have a minimal chance of flooding this year. But March and April can still rage on, crossing my fingers.

Real manly uke builders would laugh at that sort of weather. Ha! Remember that snow acts as an insulator and a 4 foot snow drift around a shop can actually can provide warmth. Think how warm igloos can get.

Been 4 days of this weather so far and it's forcast more of the same for the next week:( went in the workshop this morning and managed to fit a saddle and nut but it was too cold to stay in there even with the heater full on ..this pic was taken last night about 8 miles from our house...(Not by me)
Teesside snow by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Looks like it would be time to break out those cross-country skis, or the snowmobile, a HAND-CRANK snowmobile, inspired by builders of the Hurdy-Gurdy of course...:)

Just imagine the sizes of the gears, and the gear ratios you'd need from the hand-crank in order to drive the belt underneath a useful amount of distance per crank rotation...while still keeping the weight down...

Top Bottom