Tenor Guitar with Classical Strings

johnnysmash

Reaction score
Do they make Tenor Guitars to use Classical Guitar Strings? Can a Tenor Guitar made for metal strings be strung with Classical Guitar strings? How do they sound strung that way? Please explain the pros and cons of this subject. I can hardly use my left thumb so I have went from Classical Guitar to Baritone Ukulele. I plan to move on and add a Tenor Guitar soon.Since the last three months working with the doctor I can use my thumb some on a four string, however, to place my thumb on the center of the back of a 6 string is complete pain and not likely to ever change according to the doctor.

Some folks here were recently talking about different models made by Pono in 21" and 23" scale lengths.

I don't remember if they was called UL-something or BN-something in the model number, these instruments were with classical strings, and designed for same, not for steel strings.

DownDave, Uke-Eddie, Rakelele I think were the guys talking about them.

Some folks here were recently talking about different models made by Pono in 21" and 23" scale lengths.

I don't remember if they was called UL-something or BN-something in the model number, these instruments were with classical strings, and designed for same, not for steel strings.

DownDave, Uke-Eddie, Rakelele I think were the guys talking about them.

Hey Joe, thanks for the prompt

You can buy the Pono Nui which is a full size 23" scale length tenor guitar designed and built from the ground up for nylon strings. The aforementioned Ranier owns one and everyone that does own one seems to really like them. If you are ok with the standard tenor guitar size this is a great way to go.

Pono also makes a tenor guitar in their UL-4 series in two types, one for steel string and one for nylon. These are smaller then the Nui, scale length is 21" or so and a smaller body, think large baritone. I owned one in the steel string version and even strung it up with nylon as an experiment and it worked well.

Yes, Pono makes two models that are specifically made for nylon strings: One is the Baritone Nui or BN that has a wide body, 14 frets to the body and a 23" scale, the other one has a 21.4" scale, body joint at the 12th fret and a slim Parlor body (Martin Size 5). That latter was originally braced for steel strings but is now made in a nylon string version as well. Model name is UL4N (UL= Uku Li'i, 4=four strings, N=Nylon).

Both models are great. With the larger body, the BN sounds bigger and fuller. Due to the nylon strings, these sound a lot warmer than a steel strung tenor guitar. Like a bigger baritone.

Top Bottom