Concert to a Tenor and (possibly) back.

Boomershakalaka

Reaction score
Hey all. So I started with a Soprano and very quickly switched to a Concert. Played that for some time and just recently switched to a Tenor. I seem to be having more issues with chord spacing that I ever did even when I was fresh. Is it odd to take a while to acclimate to the longer neck of the Tenor? And I'd still like to pluck about on the concert from time to time but with my fumbling a bit on my Tenor, it has me a little apprehensive. Is it common to switch between uke sizes or do folks avoid it due to the different uke neck lengths? I'm not really frustrated but it seems odd that my fingers won't hit the right frets since it's been weeks since I switched.

I own a soprano, two concerts, and a tenor. I like the variety. I also find the extra distance a bit challenging on the tenor sometimes.

Hey all. So I started with a Soprano and very quickly switched to a Concert. Played that for some time and just recently switched to a Tenor. I seem to be having more issues with chord spacing that I ever did even when I was fresh. Is it odd to take a while to acclimate to the longer neck of the Tenor? And I'd still like to pluck about on the concert from time to time but with my fumbling a bit on my Tenor, it has me a little apprehensive. Is it common to switch between uke sizes or do folks avoid it due to the different uke neck lengths? I'm not really frustrated but it seems odd that my fingers won't hit the right frets since it's been weeks since I switched.

I would say this is pretty common, especially if you aren't one that started on guitar or something similar. Just play whatever feels comfortable and sounds good to you. If you like the fuller tone of a tenor, then you might have to spend more time practicing with the longer fret board. Otherwise, if you're totally happy with a concert, then stick with it and enjoy!

It took me a while to get used to tenor scale after having spent almost a year learning on concert scale.

However, I didn't like the high tension, so I use concert scale strings on most of my tenor scale ukes. :)

it is very common for uke players to own different sizes ukuleles but most do prefer one size over another. My first choice is Concert, then Soprano, Tenor and Baritone last. It shouldn't take you long to get used to the different sizes. Once you do, it is fun to play the same song on different sizes ukes. That really gives a different feel to the same tune.

It took me a while to get used to tenor scale after having spent almost a year learning on concert scale.

However, I didn't like the high tension, so I use concert scale strings on most of my tenor scale ukes. :)

Hey Keith, I am trying to like tenor scale more. Same as you, I don't like the high tension of Tenor. I will definitely try your suggestion. Can I use any concert string sets on Tenor? FC vs nylon? Wound vs FC low G? Would that adversely affect the uke or string breakage? Thanks.

I first tried it with the Aquila Nylguts that I took of one of my concerts, but I now just use the same fuorocarbon Living Water low G concert strings that I use on my concert scale ukes. (I've not had any breakages.)

I've been playing for about 10 months and play concert pretty much exclusively now. I tried Tenor for about 4-5 months and never felt comfortable with it. A few months ago I found a "short neck" tenor.....tenor body/concert scale, and I love it. I get the tenor sound with the scale I'm more comfortable with. I also own two true concerts, and a soprano that I can play comfortably as well. When I got the soprano, I went with a brand that has a wider nut in order to get a little more finger room.

The one ukulele on the horizon that interests me is the Romero concert ST. Romero Tiny Tenor body, concert scale, and soprano overall length. Once the solid spruce top/mahogany laminate body version comes out, it may take the place of my soprano as my camping uke???

My experience was the same. Went from soprano to concert early on, bought a tenor and couldn't get used to it. Boomerang(shakalaka), went back to concerts and stayed.

Thanks all. I'm actually going to start pickin' up my concert and work that into the practice routine. I do like the concerts as well but there some sausage-finger issues I didn't enjoy.

Top Bottom