Song Help Request Tumbalalaika chords

Cassie

Reaction score
Does anybody know the chords to the Yiddish song Tummbalalaika? It is also known as tum Balalaika. If you can, post a video tutorial so that I may be able to hear it. I am visually impaired so it’s easier to follow along with audio. My screen reader does not read tabs. If you wish, you can just tell me where the cords go in different parts of the song. I’ve looked for tutorials all over the Internet but I still can’t find Once that tell me exactly what chords to put down win

It looks like it is in E flat.

First three bars are in Cm, followed by G7 for four bars, back to Cm for two bars, then A flat one bar, Fm7 one bar, Cm one bar, Fm one bar, G7 two bars, Cm one bar - then comes the chorus, Cm for three bars, G7 for four bars, Cm two bars, A flat one bar, Fm7 one bar, Cm one bar, Fm one bar, G7 for two bars, Cm one bar, end of chorus.

This is where I got this information, it also has the words.
http://www.hebrewsongs.com/song-tumbalalaika.htm

This other website has an mp3 file that can be downloaded, as well as played on the site, & also has the words.
http://specialneedsinmusic.com/song_pages/tumbalalaika_new_14_0112.html

Hope these will be helpful for you, & good luck with it.

Not trying to be a jerk, but E flat would be the relative major—the song is in a minor key...C minor. For easier playing on the ukulele, you might want to try it up in D minor, or if your voice can handle it, down to A minor.

Not trying to be a jerk, but E flat would be the relative major—the song is in a minor key...C minor. For easier playing on the ukulele, you might want to try it up in D minor, or if your voice can handle it, down to A minor.

Hey Choirguy, I've been trying to tighten up my theory and I have a legitimate and sincere question. What's the diff with calling something Eb maj or C min? They both have Ab, Eb, and Bb. The only difference I can see is how I would notate the chord progression. If the key is Eb then I would notate the progression as vi, vi, vi, III7, III7, III7, III7, etc. Whereas if the key is C min I would notate it as i, i, i, V7, V7, V7, V7. But in either case the notes would be the same. Obviously the latter case offers more familiar intervals than the former. Is that the reason which would be similar to the reason why we never refer to the key Ab as G# since G# requires 6 sharps and a double-sharp and who needs that headache?

Hey Choirguy, I've been trying to tighten up my theory and I have a legitimate and sincere question. What's the diff with calling something Eb maj or C min? They both have Ab, Eb, and Bb. The only difference I can see is how I would notate the chord progression. If the key is Eb then I would notate the progression as vi, vi, vi, III7, III7, III7, III7, etc. Whereas if the key is C min I would notate it as i, i, i, V7, V7, V7, V7. But in either case the notes would be the same. Obviously the latter case offers more familiar intervals than the former. Is that the reason which would be similar to the reason why we never refer to the key Ab as G# since G# requires 6 sharps and a double-sharp and who needs that headache?

Also: III7 is a strange chord in diatonic music. Therefore, V7 to i makes more sense.

We’ve got to be a little careful with theory...things often start blowing up and become more complex than they need to be. The main difference is that one of the two keys will likely sound like “home.” This song gravitates around and to C minor, versus hovering and leading to Eb major.

The cadences (endings) of phrases and songs are a good indication. If you see/hear V7 to i, particularly at the end, you are likely in the minor key...but you would feel that throughout the song. Some minor songs have a middle section that goes to the major...but they don’t stay there. And then there is something called a Picardy third, where the last chord of a minor song becomes major (such as a C major chord instead of C minor) because many people don’t like sad or negative endings!

Top Bottom