Ohana TK-35, Kala SMHT, or Pono AT/MT?

Would you please elaborate on why you'd choose the Ohana for low-G tuning and the Kala for high? I'll want to add a tenor low G at some point and am curious. Thx! :)

The issue with low G tuning is to try to avoid the boomy sound of a rogue note when the body resonates at that frequency and overpowers the other strings sounding terrible. Some people swear by various wound low G strings (Fremont Soloist being a common favourite) to avoid this issue but I’m not one of them often finding them more boomy than the usual unwound strings such as Worths.

The other solution is to use an instrument with a body which does not tend to resonate at that frequency, either smaller or bigger, and this is where Ohana tenors differ from Kala. In my experience Kala tenors (I have owned one) have a body size which sits squarely at the low G frequency and boom, whereas Ohana tenors (I have owned two) have a noticeably smaller body volume and do not. I much prefer them for low G.

For traditional re-entrant C6 tuning I prefer the Kala size as they tend to have more volume and for re-entrant Bb6 I have no preference.

I have never played a Pono so cannot comment but I have seen threads on here which claim that certain models can be boomy. But that is all second hand info whereas the observations above are my personal experiences.

IMO. FWIW. HTH

The issue with low G tuning is to try to avoid the boomy sound of a rogue note when the body resonates at that frequency and overpowers the other strings sounding terrible. Some people swear by various wound low G strings (Fremont Soloist being a common favourite) to avoid this issue but I’m not one of them often finding them more boomy than the usual unwound strings such as Worths.

The other solution is to use an instrument with a body which does not tend to resonate at that frequency, either smaller or bigger, and this is where Ohana tenors differ from Kala. In my experience Kala tenors (I have owned one) have a body size which sits squarely at the low G frequency and boom, whereas Ohana tenors (I have owned two) have a noticeably smaller body volume and do not. I much prefer them for low G.

For traditional re-entrant C6 tuning I prefer the Kala size as they tend to have more volume and for re-entrant Bb6 I have no preference.

I have never played a Pono so cannot comment but I have seen threads on here which claim that certain models can be boomy. But that is all second hand info whereas the observations above are my personal experiences.

IMO. FWIW. HTH

Thanks so much! It does help. :)

IMO. FWIW. HTH

I have just noticed from your profile that you have a Kala tenor strung high G and a Kala concert strung low G. To many people this would seem to be the wrong way around but not me. Perhaps I’m reading too much into it but it seems you have discovered the same thing as me, namely that Kala tenors boom with low G whereas smaller bodies such as concerts do not. Ohana tenors behave more like concerts than Kala tenors IMO.

I have just noticed from your profile that you have a Kala tenor strung high G and a Kala concert strung low G. To many people this would seem to be the wrong way around but not me. Perhaps I’m reading too much into it but it seems you have discovered the same thing as me, namely that Kala tenors boom with low G whereas smaller bodies such as concerts do not. Ohana tenors behave more like concerts than Kala tenors IMO.

Good to know, thanks. Currently I play more gCEA arrangements, and Kala mahogany tenor sounds really good with re-entrant tuning, so I didn't want to string it with a low-G. When I added the concert, it sounded brighter than I like, so I tried a low-G on it, and I liked it. I do prefer the tenor scale though, so it worked out. :)

So much great information. Thank you guys so much for it. I’m going to head to a local shop that I haven’t been to yet to try out more ukes. Too bad they don’t have any Pono or anything upper end. They do have an extensive selection of Kala (from what the store the told me), so I’ll go in a play a few in my price range.

Right now, my heart lies with the Pono AT. I’m of the mind that it’ll be enough instrument to last me a while (hopefully).

Well, that visit to the shop was disappointing (45 min drive each way). They didn’t have as much in stock as their website pictures made it out to be. I did get a chance to try out different sizes and shape fret boards and I’m undecided now whether or not I’ll like a flat fret board. Decisions....

Well, that visit to the shop was disappointing (45 min drive each way). They didn’t have as much in stock as their website pictures made it out to be. I did get a chance to try out different sizes and shape fret boards and I’m undecided now whether or not I’ll like a flat fret board. Decisions....

What brands did you play, and did you find anything with a radiused fretboard? I prefer guitars with a radius, but I play both flat and radiused. I like that many ? Pono tenors have radiused fretboards, but I keep hearing they have a chunky neck profile that I doubt I'd like. We're you able to compare Ohana and Kala tenors?

What brands did you play, and did you find anything with a radiused fretboard? I prefer guitars with a radius, but I play both flat and radiused. I like that many ? Pono tenors have radiused fretboards, but I keep hearing they have a chunky neck profile that I doubt I'd like. We're you able to compare Ohana and Kala tenors?

I tried a couple Kalas, a used Ohana, and this other brand with frets that went at an angle which I didn’t really care for. I’m guessing my KA-STG has a radiused fret board (could someone confirm?) coz it def doesn’t feel like those that I would consider flat. I tried a flat board with a 1.5in nut and didn’t like it at all (forgot the brand, but it wasn’t a major one). It also felt a little heavy which makes me worry a little about the Pono.

I also tried another uke with a solid cedar top and really liked the tone. I tried a Kala walnut one and liked that as well. So I guess the dream would be:

- Satin finish
- Low string tension
- Tenor
- Solid Cedar
- Electronics (if it fit the price range of sub $400)

I tried a couple Kalas, a used Ohana, and this other brand with frets that went at an angle which I didn’t really care for. I’m guessing my KA-STG has a radiused fret board (could someone confirm?) coz it def doesn’t feel like those that I would consider flat. I tried a flat board with a 1.5in nut and didn’t like it at all (forgot the brand, but it wasn’t a major one). It also felt a little heavy which makes me worry a little about the Pono.

I also tried another uke with a solid cedar top and really liked the tone. I tried a Kala walnut one and liked that as well. So I guess the dream would be:

- Satin finish
- Low string tension
- Tenor
- Solid Cedar
- Electronics (if it fit the price range of sub $400)

No, Kalas have flat fretboards. Frets at an angle? I'm having trouble picturing that.

Can you point me to some radiused fret board examples?

Also, why is everything finished in gloss now a days?? There are a number of ukes that I found would fit every need except a satin finish. Ugh...

From all I know, Pono is the only non-custom manufacturer to offer a radius fretboard. Closest to what you are describing is the AT-CR: That one has a radius fretboard and used to come with a satin finish (although I think they have changed to gloss more recently).

My Pono AT is not heavy at all, by the way. Out of my 10+ tenors, only one is lighter, and that is a Kanilea with an oil rubbed satin finish, well known to be the lightest build of all. The Kanilea is 560 gr (1.26 pounds), the Pono 630 gr (1.39 pounds); that is only about 10% more and precisely the weight of the truss rod that Pono has and that will ensure playability for years to come.

Also, why is everything finished in gloss now a days?? There are a number of ukes that I found would fit every need except a satin finish. Ugh...

I used to be a satin only person until I got my Pono (mahog deluxe with spruce top). The gloss finish on the body (neck is satin) should not be equated with the thicker, almost plastic seeming gloss you sometimes get on cheaper instruments. This finish has convinced me that gloss can be really nice when applied thinly and properly. I would get gloss again after experiencing this.

Just an update, I went with the Pono AT. I actually had my mind made up to buy it earlier this week, but then Pono went and released a new 2018 MGT, so I went back and forth on sound samples over those two. Decided on the AT because the sound fits right in the middle between the MT and MGT, making it more versatile IMO.

Now the dreaded wait time...

Congrats, I think you made a great choice. The AT is right up there with the best.

I'm interested in hearing your experience with the Pono AT because I am considering one along with a Pono MGCP. None of our local shops carry the Pono or Ohana lines, but the few Lanika'i and Cordoba models I tested didn't live up to their $250-$300 price tag. If I want one I'll have to take the risk of ordering online.

I'm interested in hearing your experience with the Pono AT because I am considering one along with a Pono MGCP. None of our local shops carry the Pono or Ohana lines, but the few Lanika'i and Cordoba models I tested didn't live up to their $250-$300 price tag. If I want one I'll have to take the risk of ordering online.

It will be a couple of weeks before it ships due to HMS’ setup process, but I plan to do a review and comparison to my $190 Kala Solid Spruce top. Stay tuned.

Top Bottom