Ohana TK-35, Kala SMHT, or Pono AT/MT?

NoyBoy98

Reaction score
Hello all!

So, I have my heart set on either of the Pono's (moreso AT than MT) right now, but they're a bit more costly. I also have my sights set on the Ohana TK-35 and Kala SMHT.

Can anyone offer any advice? Are the Pono's really $150 more than the Ohana or Kala, or will I be able to get similar sound/performance from the Ohana or Kala?

I'm currently rockin' a Kala KA-STG.

To me, Pono is the one true upgrade and definitely worth the higher price. I'd go for that Pono and never look back.

Hmm, I've never owned a Pono, so I'm a little bit biased, maybe, but I would favour the Ohana, good ukes, in my opinion.

(I own 3 Ohana solid mahogany ukes.)

I'm not keen on the open headstock of my Kala bari, so guess I wouldn't like the extra weight of one on a tenor scale.

P.S. I do own a KoAloha Opio acacia uke in that price range, & I chose it rather than a Pono, on hearing sound clips.

Last edited:
I've had both (Pono, Ohana, gloss models). I kept the Ohana and sold the Pono. The Pono has a bigger body, but my Ohana has a fuller sound and better intonation.
You can't go wrong with the Ohana, the TK-35 is a steal at the price.

If you figure in the cost of the case that is included with it, the Pono is only $80 more from HMS. Ebony fretboard and bridge, truss rod, very high quality construction. Just feels better in my hands. I have two Ponos, so I have a definite bias.

All personal taste, but you can’t go wrong with he TK 35. Great Uke for all player levels.

I own the Kala solid mahogany and like it a lot. It balances well even with the slotted head stock. It's got a nice, warm sound that projects well, though I changed the strings from Aquila Super Nylgut to Fremont Black Line fluorocarbon. It now has what I call a livelier tone and more sustain. I didn't have the opportunity to play the Ohana solid mahogany till recently at Elderly. I liked the look, the build and the tone, but the action was high enough that I wasn't interested. Elderly sets up their instruments before they go on the floor, so as long as they're within tolerance, they don't lower the action.

If you preder a thinner neck; Ohana. If a beefier neck is preferred; Pono. I like a thinner neck so sold the Pono and bought a Mainland.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I was heavily leaning towards a Pono, but now the Ohana and Kala are really tempting.

I own the Kala solid mahogany and like it a lot. It balances well even with the slotted head stock. It's got a nice, warm sound that projects well, though I changed the strings from Aquila Super Nylgut to Fremont Black Line fluorocarbon. It now has what I call a livelier tone and more sustain. I didn't have the opportunity to play the Ohana solid mahogany till recently at Elderly. I liked the look, the build and the tone, but the action was high enough that I wasn't interested. Elderly sets up their instruments before they go on the floor, so as long as they're within tolerance, they don't lower the action.

Would you say that the Ohana wasn't setup yet? I've read that Ohanas come stock with pretty high action, but a dealer like Mims states she makes sure to get the action nice and low. This kinda worries me. The Kala on the other hand looks beautiful with the non-glossy finish and slotted head.

If you preder a thinner neck; Ohana. If a beefier neck is preferred; Pono. I like a thinner neck so sold the Pono and bought a Mainland.

I'd really consider a Mainland if they offered a tenor with slotted headstock and satin finish.

I have a Mainland red cedar tenor too, it has the exact same dimensions as the TK35.
High action is no concern, it'an easy fix. Mine came with a perfect set up.
Here's a photo of the TK 35 and a Mainland neck. I suspect they come from the same factory.
P1020732.jpg

I have a Mainland red cedar tenor too, it has the exact same dimensions as the TK35.
High action is no concern, it'an easy fix. Mine came with a perfect set up.
Here's a photo of the TK 35 and a Mainland neck. I suspect they come from the same factory.
View attachment 106961

Thanks for the photo comparison. Which would you say you like better between the Mainland and Ohana?

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I was heavily leaning towards a Pono, but now the Ohana and Kala are really tempting.

Would you say that the Ohana wasn't setup yet? I've read that Ohanas come stock with pretty high action, but a dealer like Mims states she makes sure to get the action nice and low. This kinda worries me. The Kala on the other hand looks beautiful with the non-glossy finish and slotted head.

I'd really consider a Mainland if they offered a tenor with slotted headstock and satin finish.

No, Elderly doesn't put any instrument on the floor unless it's passed inspection and has been setup by their shop. What they tell me is that because they're setting instruments up for general sale, they don't know what action the buyer will prefer. So they just make sure the action is "within tolerance." Every Ohana I've played in their store has had action that was too high IMO, so my guess is that Ohana ukes just some with higher action than some other brands. If I felt comfortable adjusting action on acoustic instruments, it would be different. But I don't want to buy an instrument with action that's too high only to have to pay the shop to lower it for me. If I really wanted an Ohana, I'd buy it from Mim or another shop that will set the action to the buyer's specs w/o an additional charge.

The Kala is very light and resonant. The neck is comfortable, and I don't notice any real difference in the necks between the Ohana and Kala. Their profiles are very similar if not identical. I really like the satin finish, and the Grover tuners are really nice. I've only owned the Kala a few months, but it's opening up nicely. I have no regrets in purchasing it.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your choice, and please keep us posted. :)

No, Elderly doesn't put any instrument on the floor unless it's passed inspection and has been setup by their shop. What they tell me is that because they're setting instruments up for general sale, they don't know what action the buyer will prefer. So they just make sure the action is "within tolerance." Every Ohana I've played in their store has had action that was too high IMO, so my guess is that Ohana ukes just some with higher action than some other brands. If I felt comfortable adjusting action on acoustic instruments, it would be different. But I don't want to buy an instrument with action that's too high only to have to pay the shop to lower it for me. If I really wanted an Ohana, I'd buy it from Mim or another shop that will set the action to the buyer's specs w/o an additional charge.

The Kala is very light and resonant. The neck is comfortable, and I don't notice any real difference in the necks between the Ohana and Kala. Their profiles are very similar if not identical. I really like the satin finish, and the Grover tuners are really nice. I've only owned the Kala a few months, but it's opening up nicely. I have no regrets in purchasing it.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your choice, and please keep us posted. :)

Thank you very much for this. I'm always a fan of low action and honestly, the SMHT just looks nicer to me. Now leaning on the side of the SMHT lol. I will def update you guys on my decision.

Ohana and Kala ukes are fine values, but I'll take the Pono thank you. The most comfortable uke I have to play. Often depends on hand size..mine aren't large.

I can’t speak about the Pono but I would definitely take the Ohana over the Kala if the intention is to string it with a low G. But if playing reentrant it would be close between these two perhaps with the Kala just edging it. IMO FWIW.

I can’t speak about the Pono but I would definitely take the Ohana over the Kala if the intention is to string it with a low G. But if playing reentrant it would be close between these two perhaps with the Kala just edging it. IMO FWIW.

Would you please elaborate on why you'd choose the Ohana for low-G tuning and the Kala for high? I'll want to add a tenor low G at some point and am curious. Thx! :)

I've owned ukes from all three manufacturers - unless you're buying a Kala Elite or one of the limited edition Ohanas, Pono are a clear step up in quality. Worth the extra money every time in my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions...

Just to add a bit about the Ponos, I know you are looking at the basic model, but the slightly higher grade ones come with a radiused fret board. After playing one there is no comparison for me. So much easier to barre and so much easier on the fretting hand when playing for long periods.

Top Bottom