8 string hard on my fingers

helendavis

Reaction score
Just learning to play. Bought an Oscar Schmidt tenor 8 string because a friend had one and it sounded so good. So I've been learning on it and realize that it would probably have been smarter to get a 4 string to learn on and then move up to the 8 string. I have a hard time getting the pressure on the strings. What's the possibility of taking off 4 strings temporarily and then adding them back when my fingers get tougher.

I know your pain. I tested out an 8 string, and found it hard on my experienced hands. I expect you will build up some strong muscles. If it is fingertip pain, not muscle pain, just give it a couple more weeks and you should be fine. You could try Rock Tips, which is a paint-on callus that will help give you artificial padding until you grow your own. In the meantime, you could try some strings with lower tension. I don't know if you remove 4 of the strings, if that would cause the empty tuning keys to rattle or buzz. Now is a perfect time to consider getting an additional uke, with just 4 strings.

–Lori

Removing the "extra" strings shouldn't cause a problem. If the unused tuners rattle a bit, wrap a rubber band around them ;) With a reduction in tension on the neck, expect the remaining four strings to go up a bit in pitch and to need retuning a couple of times until it all settles down ... then you'll experience the reverse when you re-fit them!

Maybe buying that extra instrument wasn't such a bad idea :music:

I’m finally getting usta my steel strung mandolin. It’s taken a very long time, but I’m finally able to make music with it. It still makes a lotta mistakes though.

I was gonna take four strings off too, but I decided to soldier on with 8. Now I’m glad that I did. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom