Oasis OH-18 humidifier question.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I've been using my Oasis OH-18 humidifier the conventional way - in the sound hole - but the last couple of times I've checked it, the humidity has been a bit high inside the body. (I keep a hygrometer inside the body of the uke as well and the readings have been 58-59% rh) To my ears, the higher relative humidity has effected the sound in a negative way so I removed the humidifier from the sound hole and placed it in the neck space of the case and as a result, the rh has dropped down to 43-45% and to my ears, the uke sounds better/normal.

Should I be concerned about the Oasis humidifier in the neck space when the side of the humidifier is in contact with the neck of the ukulele? I'm a bit concerned that it might possibly effect the finish but maybe I'm worried about nothing. What do you think?

As far as I have been informed, a relative humidity of between 40% and 60% should have little effect... this is the humidity level you aim for.

Dunno about the neck of your uke being damaged by the Oasis, though. You can be our guinea pig :p

Between the two rh ranges I noted in the first post, I could tell the difference in sound. At the higher rh readings, it didn't really sound bad but it sounded a bit "mushy" to me. At the lower rh readings it sounded more distinct and crisp.

As far as the humidifier being in contact with the neck of the uke, I don't know if I should be concerned or not. If you feel the sides of the Oasis humidifier it feels dry but I've seen where clear finishes on wood have become kind of cloudy white and opaque when they've had prolonged exposure to moisture.

I keep mine in the box compartment under the neck in my tenor case and in the headstock space of my concert and soprano (all KoAlohas). I didn’t like dinkin’ with that string hanger every time I wanted to grab and play. I figure as long as it’s in there somewhere it’s doing its job. Plus, I had horrible dreams of that thing leaking inside my ukulele.

I received an Oasis OH-18 humidifier with a recent uke purchase. I tried it once & ditched it. Too fussy putting it on the strings in the sound hole for me. The second time I used it, it fell inside the uke and was a pain to get out. I much prefer the Music Nomad Humilele. It also hangs from the strings in the sound hole, but is very easy to put on & off. I live in a dry climate with forced air heat in the winter & AC in the summer. I can get by with just the Humilele in the summer, but have to add a second humidifier in the winter to get to 40%. I keep a Planet Waves small instrument humidifier under the neck area in addition to the Humilele. The Humilele gets re-wetted with distilled water once a week, and the Planet Waves sponges can go 2 weeks.
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...520000315&sr=8-1&keywords=humilele+humidifier
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves...00363&sr=8-2&keywords=planet+waves+humidifier

I received an Oasis OH-18 humidifier with a recent uke purchase. I tried it once & ditched it. Too fussy putting it on the strings in the sound hole for me. The second time I used it, it fell inside the uke and was a pain to get out. I much prefer the Music Nomad Humilele. It also hangs from the strings in the sound hole, but is very easy to put on & off. I live in a dry climate with forced air heat in the winter & AC in the summer. I can get by with just the Humilele in the summer, but have to add a second humidifier in the winter to get to 40%. I keep a Planet Waves small instrument humidifier under the neck area in addition to the Humilele. The Humilele gets re-wetted with distilled water once a week, and the Planet Waves sponges can go 2 weeks.
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-...520000315&sr=8-1&keywords=humilele+humidifier
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves...00363&sr=8-2&keywords=planet+waves+humidifier

I did the same with my OH-18. The string clip doesn't hold very tight, so the humidifier tipped at an angle and rested against the back of the ukulele. It made me really nervous. I next tried the Boveda two-way humidification kit and like that much better. No more nightmares about potentially soggy ukes! :)

I did the same with my OH-18. The string clip doesn't hold very tight, so the humidifier tipped at an angle and rested against the back of the ukulele. It made me really nervous. I next tried the Boveda two-way humidification kit and like that much better. No more nightmares about potentially soggy ukes! :)

I too use the Boveda kit. I got the starter kit that came with two microfiber pouches. One goes under the headstock and the second I slide over the sound hole, under the strings. I figure that way if the wood inside the uke needs moisture it will pull it from the pack (or vice versa with the excess moisture).

I've never had an issue with Oasis (have six). Easy enough to get in and out - spread strings with left hand while grasping plastic tab with right hand and with a quick twist it's out. Reverse the process to put it back in.

:agree: been using an oasis for 4+ years hanging on the strings, no problems, just fill it weekly. Easy enough to get in and out...:shaka:

Thanks Raftergirl for the tip on the Humilele. Just bought one. Just started using it. Much better than the Oasis for me because it stays in place when I carry it in the hard case. The Oasis works well in most ways except, as others have said, it falls through the strings into the sound hole when moved about in a case. The Humilele is also easier to get out when you want to remove it. Like you, I use a Planet Waves under the neck when I need additional humidity. I have had one Oasis leak. It happened outside the uke so no harm but that really had me looking for something else.

Last edited:
Thanks Raftergirl for the tip on the Humilele. Just bought one. Just started using it. Much better than the Oasis for me because it stays in place when I carry it in the hard case. The Oasis works well in most ways except, as others have said, it falls through the strings into the sound hole when moved about in a case. The Humilele is also easier to get out when you want to remove it. Like you, I use a Planet Waves under the neck when I need additional humidity. I have had one Oasis leak. It happened outside the uke so no harm but that really had me looking for something else.
You’re welcome. I keep my ukes in their hard cases in my office. They are lined up, leaning against a dresser in an upright / angled position. The Humileles don’t move at all in that position. I don’t think the Oasis work as well in an upright position.

You’re welcome. I keep my ukes in their hard cases in my office. They are lined up, leaning against a dresser in an upright / angled position. The Humileles don’t move at all in that position. I don’t think the Oasis work as well in an upright position.

In my experience the Oasis only stays in place when the case is flat. That's it. Carrying the case by the side handle, the only handle on the case, causes the Oasis to drop into the sound hole.

Last edited:
In my experience the Oasis only stays in place when the case is flat. That's it. Carrying the case by the side handle, the only handle on the case, cases the Oasis to drop into the sound hole.

I carry mine around a couple times a week to jams and have never had a problem...:confused::shaka:

I use the Oasis because that is what Mainland sells and I ordered one when I bought my ukulele from them. I only use it if he relative humidity gets below 40% and stays there for a while, which isn't that often. I just take the Oasis out and leave it at home if I'm going somewhere to play. I can see how it might come loose and rattle around if it gets inside. I don't think that my uke is going to dry out and shrivel up over the course of a night out on the town. Or even a weekend for that matter.

Last edited:
I use the Oasis because that is what Mainland sells and I ordered one when I bought my ukulele from them. I only use it if he relative humidity gets below 40% and stays there for a while, which isn't that often. I just take the Oasis out and leave it at home if I'm going somewhere to play. I can see how it might come loose and rattle around if it gets inside. I don't think that my uke is going to dry out and shrivel up over the course of a night out on the town. Or even a weekend for that matter.

In my case, it's when I travel by plane or car. Then I am taking the uke into a hotel then back to the car, etc. It can be for days so I want to leave the humidifier in place especially for 8 hours in the car and then again in the hotel room. When I'm just going to a gig somewhere local I also leave the humidifier at home. Bottom line for me: If the Humilele works in all situations and the Oasis doesn't, why not just use the Humilele?

The Humilele dries out a lot faster so it requires more attention and maintenance. This thread has strayed from the point asked about in the original question. Is it safe to the finish of the ukulele if the Oasis humidifier is stored in the neck space and the side of the humidifier is physically touching the neck of the ukulele?

The Humilele dries out a lot faster so it requires more attention and maintenance. This thread has strayed from the point asked about in the original question. Is it safe to the finish of the ukulele if the Oasis humidifier is stored in the neck space and the side of the humidifier is physically touching the neck of the ukulele?

I agree with the observation of the Humilele drying out faster.
I wouldn't recommend letting the wood of the uke touch the Oasis. Just my 2 cents.

You have great ears! :)

I don't know about that! :) Maybe it's just characteristic of this specific uke when it reaches higher humidity levels but I could tell the difference from how it normally sounds. Some sources say humidity levels should be in the range of 45-55%. If that's the case then my uke would have be a bit over-humidified. Other resources say a range of 40-60% and in that case I would have been within the desired range. Maybe my ear prefers or is used to a "drier" sound. At the higher humidity level it didn't sound bad but to my ear, it sounded a bit mushy or wobbly. (If that description makes any sense! :D)

Top Bottom