Bridge problems with Ohana ukes?

lI was advised by the factory that it is suggested to detune after playing and retune before playing to reduce stress on the bridge.

I do not want to make it seem like I am questioning your truthfulness here, but I have never seen this as advice for any string instrument other than for long term storage—and in fact, I’ve seen the opposite recommendation for ukulele storage as the tension just isn’t the same as it is for instruments with metal strings.

Would you be willing to cut and paste that part of the e-mail on this thread, and can you tell me who you talked to? If this was Ohana, I have no qualms about contacting them and asking for clarification.

If you had to basically re-stretch the strings every time you played, your instrument would never be in tune. The strings would never settle

Under tension, the soundboard flexes into its optimal shape for sound reproduction. I've found most instruments sound best after being up to tension for a week or so. Even being at full tension for 24 hours makes a big difference in volume and tone. If you detune them every day, not only will you stress the soundboard and braces from continual flexing, but the darn soundboard will never fully settle into its optimal contour for the best sound.

I do not want to make it seem like I am questioning your truthfulness here, but I have never seen this as advice for any string instrument other than for long term storage—and in fact, I’ve seen the opposite recommendation for ukulele storage as the tension just isn’t the same as it is for instruments with metal strings.

Would you be willing to cut and paste that part of the e-mail on this thread, and can you tell me who you talked to? If this was Ohana, I have no qualms about contacting them and asking for clarification.

If you had to basically re-stretch the strings every time you played, your instrument would never be in tune. The strings would never settle

Choirguy- If you choose to contact Ohana directly regarding this matter, please definitely post what you learn. I was under the the impression that detuning is applicable, as another member mentioned, for long term storage; another reason for detuning is applicable when shipping ukes. When I mention ‘detune,’ I mean by a 1/2 to whole step down. Btw, tho I cannot be 100% certain that this information about detuning for shipping ukes came from this source, I do want to say that it came from HMS. I could be wrong about that. However, that said, I can tell you that I whenever I have purchased from HMS (and I have A LOT), my ukuleles always arrive detuned about 1/2 step to a whole step.

I was under the the impression that detuning is applicable, as another member mentioned, for long term storage; another reason for detuning is applicable when shipping ukes.

I have two thoughts here. First, long term storage and shipping both are trying to compensate for unknown conditions such as temperature and humidity during storage/shipping. I can't even image what ukulele companies are having to deal with as containers from China are taking over four months to arrive in the US right now.

Second, HMS gets the instruments tuned up, but they certainly don't play them enough to establish tuning long-term. There's a pretty good chance that they pack them up without detuning, but that the strings naturally slip between that last tuning and arrival at your house.

I don't have an issue with detuning in either of these cases, but to do so intentionally after playing and then having to reestablish tuning before playing would be absolutely crazy to me.

I have two thoughts here. First, long term storage and shipping both are trying to compensate for unknown conditions such as temperature and humidity during storage/shipping. I can't even image what ukulele companies are having to deal with as containers from China are taking over four months to arrive in the US right now.

Second, HMS gets the instruments tuned up, but they certainly don't play them enough to establish tuning long-term. There's a pretty good chance that they pack them up without detuning, but that the strings naturally slip between that last tuning and arrival at your house.

I don't have an issue with detuning in either of these cases, but to do so intentionally after playing and then having to reestablish tuning before playing would be absolutely crazy to me.

Agreed, Choirguy. I am going to email Joel at HMS to inquire about the shipping/detuning — I see your point about the slippage, but I am almost 100% certain that I had been told that they do purposely detune for shipping. I’ll report back what I find out from them on this thread. Did you happen to contact/hear from Ohana? I would really be curious what they recommend if you decide to pursue it.

Agreed,the only time I detune is for long term storage, or shipping. Also, when shipping, I make sure to pad well above and below the headstock, to prevent headstock snappage when the shipping gorillas send the box airborne over a concrete tarmac.

Did you happen to contact/hear from Ohana? I would really be curious what they recommend if you decide to pursue it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from member Generally as to who provided this information. With that information, I can ask Ohana directly about it.

I'm a teacher by trade, so I have no qualms about asking anyone a question; it's up to them to answer. And I never do so disrespectfully!

I'm still waiting to hear back from member Generally as to who provided this information. With that information, I can ask Ohana directly about it.

I'm a teacher by trade, so I have no qualms about asking anyone a question; it's up to them to answer. And I never do so disrespectfully!

Sounds good; pls keep us posted. Btw, I, too, am a teacher. :)

Top Bottom