KMise clone of new Goldtone Plastic Banjo Uke

Well, I doubt there has been any copyright breach. The banjo uke, or ukulele banjo if you prefer has been around for over a century. It is basically a round 8 inch body with a neck attached. The only thing different about the goldtone was the use of plastic, now someone else has copied the idea, nothing much one can do an out that. If the plastic banjo ukes are successful we can look forward to other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon.

Well, I doubt there has been any copyright breach. The banjo uke, or ukulele banjo if you prefer has been around for over a century. It is basically a round 8 inch body with a neck attached. The only thing different about the goldtone was the use of plastic, now someone else has copied the idea, nothing much one can do an out that. If the plastic banjo ukes are successful we can look forward to other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon.

The idea of a plastic banjo uke isn't even particularly new; Maccaferri made the Mastro back in the 1950's. I have one of those, and it's quite playable and sounds pretty good.

While the banjo uke per se isn't copyrightable, a specific design certainly is. However, as others have observed, defending a design copyright is time-consuming and expensive, and remarkably difficult to do across international boundaries.

The idea of a plastic banjo uke isn't even particularly new; Maccaferri made the Mastro back in the 1950's. I have one of those, and it's quite playable and sounds pretty good.

While the banjo uke per se isn't copyrightable, a specific design certainly is. However, as others have observed, defending a design copyright is time-consuming and expensive, and remarkably difficult to do across international boundaries.

I guess my point was that using a different material is not really a design issue , but I see your point.

At $149, I'd go for the Goldtone as well. They are about 30 minutes North of me.

Wish they were out before June-July, but I really like the blue one! It's just different. I was going to get the clear, but then thought it's going to look kind of ghost like against whatever clothing I'm wearing.

I don't know enough about Kmise in general, but I just would be less likely to buy from a company who can't even bother to come up with their own designs. Yes, I realize the design is about the same between all instruments, but to not even try? If they're lazy that way it makes me think their construction is half-assed as well.

There are many companies who have had innovative designs copied by other companies. The Martin company invented the X braced, 14 fret Dreadnought shaped guitar, yet many companies have copied it exactly. I have put my Martin D-21 back to back with a Levin M-26, a Gibson Hummingbird, a Gibson j-45 from the seventies, a Guild dreadnought, a Larrivee dreadnought, an Eastman dreadnought. . . and found that they are all exactly the same shape. Not just similar, exactly the same shape. Yamaha has a guitar that people call a dreadnought, but it has a unique shape, and though it will fit in a dreadnought case, it won't match a Martin dreadnought exactly when put back to back the way these others do.

Am I misremembering or does a transparent banjolele briefly appear in the Mighty Uke film?

Baz, I'm not sure if you read my comment in full. It is as simple as initiating communication via email. Which is why I say I don't know why they say they can't do that much..
I did a course several years ago and part of that course involved learning about copyright, moral rights, mechanical rights, and although I'm certainly not an expert I do have a decent understanding of what is involved. It's not true that the way through such a matter is to jump deep into legal battles which cost lots of money. As I said, U900 would obviously have rights to their logo, they also obviously have a contract with Anuenue.
So, Baz, as you are in communication with them why don't you simply send them an email and suggest that they send an email to U900 informing them of their knowledge of the misuse of the U900 logo and the breach of their contract conditions, and let them deal with it. Initially they can request the cessation of the production of the particular product, without a court case and without expenses, except the expense of an email. As you say seeking compensation may be a waste of time and money, I'll leave that for them to decide, and truth is U900 may even benefit from the exposure and be pleased about it, we don't know, but requesting the cessation of production is worth the effort. Usually if the logo is registered then they probably won't even have a fight, it can be the case in a lot of cases that offenders comply and cease production, so to assume it has to be a full blown legal battle is simply an unnecessary assumption, take the first steps first, and let them deal with whatever happens afterward.

Woah, woah, woah...

Yes I read your comment in full - was just suggesting a reason. I have no idea of the details, I don't work for aNueNue, not for me to push them either. Between them and Kmise... Was simply posting what they told me.

None of which makes the copying right of course. But it's not my argument. i am simply stating my views as a potential purchaser. This potential purchaser wouldn't touch a brand that copies other peoples stuff.

Remember the plastic ukuleles (and guitars and clothes pins) made by Mario Maccaferri in the '50s? These have been copied by Kala (Makela Waterman uke), Takumi Ukulele Co., Koki'O and others.

Here's a Maccaferri Islander that I had custody of for a while a few years back. It had Arthur Godfrey's photo on the box. The first photo is the uke still in the antique store in Port Hope. The second is me saying goodbye to the uke while waiting for John Bird to come and pick it up.

Macaferri Islander.jpg

Jim & Maccaferri uke.jpg

Last edited:
That’s not quite the same though Jim - the examples above are of design copies on instruments from other brands still in production. Maccaferris haven’t been made for years and the company no longer exists.

This is how I see it. When I buy an ukulele, it's my money. I worked hard for it. I earned my money as a writer. As a writer, I quote many sources (we call it "research") but I always credit the source. I don't plagiarize. That's because I respect other writers and I also respect myself. Plagiarism is a despicable thing, even when it creeps along in the gutter just outside the reach of copyright law. I know the difference between getting inspired and outright stealing.

When I spend my money, I get to choose where it goes. I can choose to patronize an honest business... or I can buy from companies that steal new designs (and the market research behind them) and knock off cheap imitations. Nobody owns the idea of a plastic ukulele. But when a respected manufacturer introduces a new model and shortly thereafter another company (which makes auto parts) introduces something that looks almost identical, I know what gives.

This does not even begin to address fair wages and working conditions for the people who do the work.

I spit on KMise.

YMMV

I try not to pass judgement on people who buy ripoff ukes. Maybe they are misinformed. Maybe they are truly destitute and could not afford the extra 100 bucks to buy a legit product (yeah, right). Maybe they simply don't think about it and have other battles to fight. It's their money and they get to buy what they want.

It's sometimes like my other site Moped Army and the moped vs scooter wars. I just basically tune out anything that's not specific to what I'm looking for. I think a lot of the comparison here is like using a clone carburator vs. a stock one. The stock almost always better.

I'm looking forward to my blue Goldtone. For me the extra $50 was worth it. I don't understand putting people down for not having an extra $100. $100 is a big chunk of change for most people.

Regardless, I'd never pick on your uke. Play what makes you happy. These things are supposed to be fun!!

This is how I see it. When I buy an ukulele, it's my money. I worked hard for it. I earned my money as a writer. As a writer, I quote many sources (we call it "research")

Yet did no research on Goldtone!

but I always credit the source. I don't plagiarize. That's because I respect other writers and I also respect myself. Plagiarism is a despicable thing, even when it creeps along in the gutter just outside the reach of copyright law. I know the difference between getting inspired and outright stealing.

When I spend my money, I get to choose where it goes. I can choose to patronize an honest business... or I can buy from companies that steal new designs (and the market research behind them) and knock off cheap imitations. Nobody owns the idea of a plastic ukulele. But when a respected manufacturer introduces a new model and shortly thereafter another company (which makes auto parts) introduces something that looks almost identical, I know what gives.

Seemingly not!

This does not even begin to address fair wages and working conditions for the people who do the work.

These would be Asian workers?

I spit on KMise.

Seriously!

And who is the well respected manufacturer? Gold tone to to the best of my knowledge do not make banjo ukes they assemble them from parts imported from an Asian source.
It would appear you know very little.

I try not to pass judgement on people who buy ripoff ukes,

You just did!

Last edited:
Ever wish you didn’t get involved in a thread. Talk about over the top responses... people are just sharing opinions. If we stop sharing opinions about ukes, what is the point of this sub forum?

As for there being ‘no research’ - I made it clear from the off thst I know nothing about the Goldtone allegation. I did however share the aNueNue copy (which aNueNue tell me categorically IS unauthorised ) and the Luna copy (which I said I was not sure of, but pointed out that the Luna had been around for years longer)

That’s it. That’s all I shared. So now it’s all about bazmaz making disparaging remarks and people should buy them to poke fun at me?? What??

I merely pointed out a couple of examples of suspected plagiarism that fit in with the narrative of the OP.

No, I wouldn’t buy a Kmise for several reasons, but I don’t give a damn if others do or don’t. In fact it’s the same as with any instrument I review and give anything but glowing praise for - it always ends up with anger and aggression on the misplaced assumption I am telling everyone they are wrong. I’m not - my reviews are just my opinion.

And frankly it’s getting tiresome and I’m starting lately to reflect on whether I’m going to keep doing them. Hardly worth it.

You seriously believe that? U900 are a cartoon band - the U900 uke has their images on the face of the uke. U800 are not a cartoon band, but the U800 uke has incredibly similar cartoon (rabbit and bear) images on the face of the uke.

This is the u900 that aNueNue worked with. Unless there is a similar band called U800 (there isn't). It's nothing to do with a telecoms company.

Last edited:
And who is the well respected manufacturer? Gold tone to to the best of my knowledge do not make banjo ukes they assemble them from parts imported from an Asian source.
It would appear you know very little.

To be fair - Goldtone are not unusual in that. Ohana, Kala and many brands share factory lines with others in the Far East. I don't think using imported Asian parts makes a brand any less respectable.

It's not like comparing Goldtone to Deering..

But clearly the telecom co has nothing whatsoever to do with u900 the cartoon band.. The subject of the aNueNue ukulele. In that sense it's irrelevant to the discussion.

What I DO know is that aNueNue make and distribute ukes for U900 with a distinct rabbit and bear logo - that much is clear - it's their branding - the rabbit and bear ARE the U900 duo. The aNueNue ukes are on the U900 website showing that they are working with them. No Kmise ukes are on their page. The brand IS U900. aNueNue also confirmed this to me.

What I also know is that there is no Japanese cartoon band with a rabbit and bear logo called U800 - although that is what Kmise have used. Apart from the change from U900 to UK800, they use a remarkably similar rabbit and bear logo. To me that suggest quite clearly 'passing off' a design. If you think they possibly have some rights to U900 and the rabbit and bear, you would think the uke would be labelled U900? You know, the ACTUAL NAME of the band in question? Kmise haven't confirmed one way or the other. I did post the UK800 and U900 uke pictures side by side on their Facebook page asking if they were connected and they deleted it.

How this CANNOT be an attempt to 'ape', or 'mimic' the U900 design is quite beyond me! 71llQDc60CL._SL1200_.jpg

Whether one of the owners of the brand or rights takes action or not, doesn't matter to me one jot. I can make my own mind up and I wouldn't touch a Kmise because of these sort of practices. If you want to get a Kmise, that's great. Not up to me.

As for the credibility of the thread - the topic was on the suggestion of copying other designs. I personally think thats a useful discussion to have

Last edited:
With the banjo - I agree. With the cartoon uke - I disagree. That seems absolutely clear to me.

It does happen a lot though. I remember some time back some of Chuck Moore's designs were 'appropriated' by a brand (can't remember which). I don't believe he took action, as cost prohibitive - but there was a bit of talk on here. It was absolutely blatant as I recall, the brand withdrew them.

So discussing and highlighting these things is worthwhile to my mind. Might actually help out a brand that is feeling hammered and doesn't have the clout to take legal action.

Top Bottom