Season 316 - The Sea, The Sea

thank you for hosting this week Ylle.
this theme inspired me to write this song today.

Sail on, sail on
to somewhere new
Leave the past just where it came from
Don't let it catch up to you
A sailor on the bridge
waving back at me
Everything runs into the sea

Raise the anchor high
to harbours yet unknown
This bedroom is a lighthouse
you once called your home
Don't let the surface fool you
Keep one eye open when you dream
There'll be no one after you and me

I will man the lifeboat
here on the shore
The sea is just a ruse
for what we had before
When the storms overtake you
waves of memory

I will leave a light on
Where you once lay next to me
Sail on, there'll be no one
after you and me

Ahoy there.
I am looking forwards to a week of songs about the sea. Here is my 1st entry which is called "Stúlkan sem Starir á Hafið" or "The Girl that Stares at the Ocean". I added subtitles to the song so people can understand the lyrics.
This is both a song about the sea as well as a song that describes the sea as beeing "autumn green" so I am not sure whether to call this one of the three or a bonus song...
anywho
enjoy

Last edited:
Been itching to mess around with some of the shanties I know. Always been a favorite type of music for me. Hopefully I'll have some time to get some recording done.

Here's a rockabilly tune from Jimmy C Newman in 1958, and he did very little rockabilly. Ironically, this song was written by Jim Reeves, who was also not known for rockabilly.

Here's a David Allan Coe song from the late 70's, when he was heavy into his Jimmy Buffett phase. It's pretty good though it is very lengthy. This was my 2nd take at it.

Hi, Ylle! Great theme and it's a wet afternoon here, so I did this ... my Mum used to sing this song to me and I think my Grandmother used to sing it to her! (Probably no one outside the U.K. has ever heard it before!)

this is the first song from :bowdown: "the ninth wave" (side 2 of :bowdown: kate bush's :bowdown: "hounds of love" album) which is an incredible collection of songs about someone drifting in the cold sea, hoping for rescue

"and dream of sheep"

In the movie Inside Llewyn Davis - the song Shoals of Herring was sung to an old
man in his silent bedroom. It is sung very tenderly and tries very hard to evoke a respose
from the old man but is face remains drained and emotionless, and it appears that the
melody and lyrics have no meaning for him. When music can not touch you you have
to be dead inside.

This song isn't about the sea, but the sea is mentioned, and I've been wanting to to try this song cause I love it. This was a challenge to attempt. This was written by Marvin Rainwater, who also recorded it along with Justin Tubb, the son of Ernest Tubb, who had a top ten country hit on this tune, Teresa Brewer, The Maddox Brothers and Rose, and I'm sure others.

Been itching to mess around with some of the shanties I know. Always been a favorite type of music for me. Hopefully I'll have some time to get some recording done.

Really hoping to hear your shanties!

Terrific, Seasonistas! I've listened to your first sea songs, and like every week, I'm amazed at your skills and at the variety of music. We have already a couple of fine originals, as well as traditional songs and classics. Thank you for your great entries!

Benji's season is missing a few songs from 200 entries, but there is still time until Season 315 is over. And when it ends, our "the sea" Season 316 has 7 days to roll, with sea shanties, with folk, pop, rock, country and punk songs about sea. :)

Top Bottom