Season 316 - The Sea, The Sea

Somebody had to do this. If somebody hasn't already. Been a crazy day.

This is a song I have known for years, and it mentions the ocean and waves. It also mentions an Annabelle, so the passed out pibble made me think I had a winner.
Then I sang it all the way through.
I think this is about the sexy time....
So here is a really creepy video for ya that was supposed to be cute
Oceanside- Decemberists

a homemade song

on the downside : this is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo lightweight and inconsequential, it hardly exists at all

on the plus side : it's so simple even housecat could play along!

"you sailed away"

A song from the Ozark Mountain Daredevils

As far as I know there is only one seasonista trying to make money out of what we do here.
It is so unfair that Brian has had his video blocked.
Sure glad I didn't go and have a look at the original which no doubt would have been monetised.
I don't see how the copyright owner benefits from blocking non commercial performances.

As far as I know there is only one seasonista trying to make money out of what we do here.
It is so unfair that Brian has had his video blocked.
Sure glad I didn't go and have a look at the original which no doubt would have been monetised.
I don't see how the copyright owner benefits from blocking non commercial performances.

I really don't think it's a good idea to reopen that can of worms in someone's season.

Do keep up to date Brian... my weegingayin channel has been demonitized.
My gardening channel is still monitized and I do post ukulele songs there
cos there is no chance to garden in the winter months.
I reject your reasoning that I use the seasons to make money.
I would monitize my channel regardless of the seasons.
and as stated before no money comes out of your pocket, it comes from the advertisers.
Your continued attacks on me are very unfriendly, and I don't like it.
Somehow I get the feeling that I am pissing in the pool that you are swimming in
just because I am doing things differently.

Please give it a rest. I don't like being demonised as somehow being corrupt
and it is unfortunate that you have this holier than thou self righteous attitude.
I see Ukuleleoversoul (Aldrine who is the founder member of Ukulele Underground)
is a Youtube partner why don't you take a swipe at him for making money from UU.

The hypocrisy of it all. Let's have more reverb and echo when we play the Uke... eh!!
Naw that would not be pure now would it Brian.

Last edited:
Hey Brian and Rob -
Very different, and yet so alike.

You both bring amazing stuff to our ukulele table, and to see you bickering like two old uncles is a bit of a downer. You guys need to recognize how special you are, and how important you both are to this community.

I will look into why my vid was taken down. There are about twenty covers of the tune by guitarists, and the one they flag is by an ukulelist (is that a word??). One reason I might have been flagged is that since the Parkland Florida school shooting I have been making political enemies by the dozens as I've been engaging with the gun nuts and have gotten some threatening responses to my comments. (one guy came on my youtube channel and made a bunch of offensive and vulgar comments) - one of them may have turned me in for posting copyrighted material just to be a prick.

I will also repost a new mix down with another name; this might work. I am very happy with the way the video turned out and would love to share it with you.

Right, well as a our lovely host Ylle has given the green light for bands whose names mention the sea etc, I’m putting this one up. As often happens when I’m trying to learn a song, I start learning one in preparation, in this case Seven Seas by Echo And The Bunnymen, then I hear a hint of something else while I’m in that process and something different comes out.I am merely a conduit for that process......possibly. This starts off sounding like First Cut Is The Deepest doesn’t it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OK here goes.
For Season 316 of the Ukulele, we're playing songs about the sea. Here's "Down by the Seaside" by Led Zeppelin, played on tenor ukulele with singing, with overdubs of Ubass and secondary vocals.

Ahoy again, Seasonistas! It's a windy but sunny Tuesday afternoon in southern Finland, and I'm starting to listen to your latest entries (from page 5 forward). I love what you have done so far! There are already many fine "sea songs" submitted - about fishermen and mermaids, about red or green or turquoise sea, about the beauty but also about the ugliness of the seas.

Before this Season, I thought that there are lots of songs about the sea, but I had no idea how many and how different. :)

I will also repost a new mix down with another name; this might work. I am very happy with the way the video turned out and would love to share it with you.

This seems to work, really glad that we can hear your song.

As a courtesy to Ylle, our host, I'm going to put the lyrics below for this and any other songs I do this week since English isn't her first language (I assume) and Ylle always captions her videos for those of us whose first (and only) language is English.

Thank you, Alan! That's great thinking and very kind of you. Seeing the written lyrics helps me to learn some new pirate terminology this week. :bowdown:

Hi, Ylle ... sorry, this isn't captioned! I have only just discovered this song, and, indeed, the Neutral Milk Hotel. I don't pretend to understand the lyrics, but I love the song and look forward to hearing the rest of the album. WARNING: This video could cause sea sickness (or maybe, just sickness!)

This is an Icelandic children song that we learn at kindergarten.
The song is called "Sigling" or Sailing and today I have a backup singer with me.
There are subtitles for those that don't speak Icelandic :)

This is my 3rd upload this season (2 + 1 bonus)

Hank Snow was a Canadian country music star, from Nova Scotia, who lived from 1914 to 1999 and was active as a musician for about 60 years. He did several songs that were about Hawaii, and so far all of them that I have heard prominently featured a Hawaiian-style steel guitar, which I'm pretty sure he played himself, but no ukuleles.

When Snow was a kid, his mother ordered a steel guitar from a catalog that came with some 78 rpm lesson records. He began playing it, and she realized he was a lot better at it than she was.

He got a job as a cabin boy on a fishing boat when he was 12. He didn't get paid for this job, but he was allowed to cut out and sell cod tongues and any other fish he could catch himself by fishing from the deck. When he had saved up some money, about $60 or so, he ordered a guitar and a lesson book from a mail-order catalog. When he was 16, his boat and several others were caught in a bad gale and several men were drowned, but he survived. He quit the fishing business after that, and went into music.

I'm wearing headphones in this video because I was playing with a metronome. Something I need to do all the time. Multi-tracked some backing vocals and a few little lead lines played on my tenor.

There's a faraway Island 'neath the silvery moonlight
Just a paradise of dreams across the sea
There's a maiden all alone and still waiting
On that old Hawaiian shore for me

The tears they were falling and the night-birds were calling
As the breeze that night played through the air so free
The palm trees were swaying, ukuleles* were playing
Aloha well, farewell to thee

Happy lovers were strolling lazy waters were rolling
As my ship set sail and drifted out to sea
The moon seemed to wonder as he watched from up yonder
When my darling waved the last goodbye to me