Season 316 - The Sea, The Sea

What it says on the tin.......
And some rude words at the end.

Hi everyone!

This might be in Thornton Rule territory, but I figured I’d share it anyway. Bailey Haggarty is the Assistant Director Of Seagulls at the Australian National Maritime Museum. Seagulls don’t like him much, so I wrote a song for him.

I'm still in a prog mood, so here's some Genesis. This is from the one album they did after Phil Collins left. It had a good wall-of-sound production, but the songwriting and melodies were weak. This is called "Shipwrecked".

And my second song, The Captain's Lady, by Tom Lewis. Kind of a goofy song that was a lot of fun (but challenging!) to play. It's played on a concertina on the original recording, (on his album "Sea Dog, See Dog!"), with melody lines between each verse, but I didn't attempt that. Hope you enjoy - I had fun with it. :)
Lyrics: http://www.tomlewis.net/lyrics/captains_lady.htm

For my bonus song this week a brand new song that I wrote for this season. My wife, Carmen, is going through a hard time at the moment. Her parents are getting on in years (early and mid 80s) and her mother's heart is not at its best (she has been in and out of hospital over the last few months). On top of that, her Dad is having mental issues related to Alzheimer's and he has been making his wife's life miserable. Which makes Carmen's life miserable. In such a situation, there is not much a partner can do, except just be there for their other half. That's what I have tried to do.

So, the song is a love song for Carmen, but the images are all connected with nautical rescues. I tried to get as many images of being saved from the perilous sea into the song as possible. I hope you enjoy it.

PS The song mentions the notorious "wine dark sea" so it qualifies as a bonus ;)

It's Sunday and we have songs from 46 Seasonistas on the playlist. Thank you again, guys, you are great!

Pa's "Outside" Season has started, and you can tell already that it will be a fun and memorable one. Tomorrow I'm going to look for some snowy spot for recording an outdoors song. But there are still some hours left until this fine "Sea" Season 316 ends, so I'll be here to listen, if you bring a couple of more sea songs. :)

Here is my version of Picasso's Tear by Stan Ridgway from the Anatomy album. I originally did this for week 19 of the seasons, but have always wanted to a more complete version. I spent the first part of the week laying all of the tracks and then last half thinking of video ideas, but my kid was busy so I had to do a simple vid. There's a lot going on here, but three of the tracks are ukes (bass and both rhythms, there is a melodica, synth, and a clean guitar, drums are from GarageBand. If you like to see the orginal vid from 297 weeks ago click here

Well this one was harder than I anticipated. I have a new respect for Mississippi John Hurt after this. I suspect the walking bass is pretty ragged here but it was the best I could do this week. I haven't checked to see if anyone already covered this one. If not, I'm shocked! Here's "Let The Mermaids Flirt with Me"

This was a fun one to learn but the words go by so fast it's not an easy one to sing. Thanks for the sea theme kolibri!

Last edited:
Sneaking in one last song for Season # 316. This song was written by Willie Nelson and recorded as a duet with Allison Krauss. Another deceptively simple sounding tune, that is harder to learn than expected. . . Thanks again for hosting Kolibri!

thank you for a super week, Ylle.
another original song inspired by the theme.

THAT PROMISED SHORE

You've got to sail the deepest ocean
You've got to ride the waves that roll
Gild yourself in faith and devotion
To cross over to that promised shore

You've got to walk the longest mile
You've got to wind down that weary road
Step by step is how you get there
So the Holy Bible story told

Jesus his self he walked on water
And turned that water into wine
In the Good Lord's own sweet time now