Season 316 - The Sea, The Sea

Ahoy everyone.
Here is my 4th entry of the season, all I have left is a song by a band with a plural noun in its name.
This is "Sjómannavalsinn" or The Sailor's Waltz and I included subtitles.

There are a number of songs about whaling. This one started out as a poem written by George Scroggie, an Aberdeenshire Miller and published in 1857. A tune was later added and it was recorded by a number of 1950s revival singers and notably, by Judy Collins in 1970. The author of the original poem almost certainly never went to sea but he seems to have lived reasonably near Peterhead, an important whaling port in the mid 19th century so he would almost certainly have heard stories from and about whalers. Whaling was a brutal trade for the whalers as well as the whales and I've included some pictures from Google images to try and capture that.

This is from Tormato, my effort at Don't Kill The Whale.....Yes it ain't ...more No,No and Never Again !!!
Just a jam betweeen uke and new midi controller....I don't get midi........
but I love synthesizers .....so it's the best I can do !!
Apologies to Anderson,White,Wakeman,Howe and Squire.

Lyrics:And in the YT description.

Don't Kill the Whale - Yes
INTRO
| Bm | A | Em | G | C | F#m | F# |
VERSE
Bm
You're first I'm last
C Bm
You're thirst I'm asked to justify
A F#m
Killing our last heaven beast
G
Don't hunt the whale
VERSE
Bm
In beauty vision
D A/C#
Do we offer much
A F#m
If we reason with destiny, gonna lose our touch
G
Don't kill the whale, dig it! Instrumental Break
VERSE
Bm
Rejoice they sing
C Bm
They worship their own space
A F#(m?)
In a moment of love, they will die for their grace
G
Don't kill the whale
VERSE
Bm
If time will allow
D A/C#
We will judge all who came
A F#(m?)
In the wake of our new age to stand for the frail
G
Don't kill the whale,
2nd Instrumental.
I repeat first verse and fade out.

Last edited:
My last contribution is another old song from Naples.
It has the sea in the first verse:

Sunlight dances on the sea
Tender thoughts occur to me
I have often seen your eyes
In the nighttime when I dream

Or, in Italian:
Vide 'o mare quant'è bello
Spira tantu sentimento
Comme tu a chi tiene a mente
Ca scetato 'o faie sunnà

This time, I played the melody on my uke, and the chords on my Guitarlele:

Ahoy good people.
Here is my 5th and final entry this season. This is a song called "Kyrrlátt Kvöld" or Calm/Silent Evening.
The band is called "Utangarðsmenn" which translates as The Outsiders so I am calling this my 2nd bonus song because of the plural band name. This is more of a song about a fishing village but it does mention the sea at least twice.
There are subtitles (I do not plan on only uploading Icelandic songs, it just fits to this season)
Enjoy

Bonus

My second bonus song. A song about the sea from a band with a plural name. On the baritone uke with some multi-track melodica in place of whatever it was they used, either a synthesizer or maybe an accordion, I can't tell.

I'm glad no one's here, just me by the sea
I'm glad no one's here to mess it up for me
But man, I wish I had a hand to hold

I saw an orange starfish on the side of a rock
I poked on his back and tried to pull him off
A crab scared me away, he ran close to my toes
And man, I wish I had a hand to hold

The moon is nowhere, almost time for the sun
The voice of the waves sounds anciently young
I'm a prisoner of freedom, ten toes in the sand
And man, I wish I had a hand to hold

I'm in the habit of being alone
I try hard to break it, I can't on my own

I'm glad no one's here to mess it up for me
But man, I wish I had a hand to hold

We’re going out of town in the next day or so, and I still hadn’t played my third song, so I did a quick one-take of this song from my childhood during my lunch break.

Season 316. Submission 3. "Sand and Foam" (An original song by Turtledrum. Copyright Linda Opyr, 2018)

Thank you, Ylle, for hosting this wonderful week of sea songs. :)

Greetings,

Wait till the end, there's a snowball for you all. I think I've gone nuts.

Ciao

And my third one for this week. Apart from an excuse to wear a silly hat, I wanted to do this song because I have fond memories of my Mum singing it to me when I was little and I had woken up in the middle of the night. It seems a strange choice for a lullaby, but, on reflection there is an element of a lullaby in the lyrics. (Out of deference to Rob, I haven't attempted a Scottish accent.)

I first started listening to Jethro Tull with the album "Stormwatch". So even though it's a somewhat forgotten Tull album, it's still a favorite of mine. This is a song from that album called "Flying Dutchman".

Number three for me, and I’m out with some photos of some of the seas I’ve seen, accompanied by Sonic Youth. Thanks for a fun season Ylle.

Top Bottom