Taylor Guitars made ukuleles

Patchenu

Reaction score
I just recently discovered that Taylor guitars made some ukuleles about 7-9 years ago. Does anyone here have one? What are their thoughts on the ukulele? I understand not a lot of them were made and that they may have been part of a set.

Someone will correct me. I seem to remember Taylor's more recent fore into ukuleles had them offering a Guitar/Ukulele set. You could buy both, but not the ukulele. And, again as I remember, the set was very costly.
There is a used one for sale on Reverb right now for $3,750. Ad says it is one of 50 made and was only available in the set for $8,000. So, (being a guitar guy) he's selling it for more than the new price. You see why Taylor stopped. We weren't buying.

No, but my two cents, just an opinion, they are not going to be as good as the collings ukes that were made.
At one time everyone was touting how great the Breedlove ukes were,,,,so I searched and got one.
I honestly thought it sucked sonically. No matter what strings I put on. Heavy, overbuilt and very quiet. Ditched it fast. The Taylor may be much better, .......but at that cost, who cares?

Last edited:
No, but my two cents, just an opinion, they are not going to be as good as the collings ukes that were made.
At one time everyone was touting how great the Breedlove ukes were,,,,so I searched and got one.
I honestly thought it sucked sonically. No matter what strings I put on. Heavy, overbuilt and very quiet. Ditched it fast. The Taylor may be much better, .......but at that cost, who cares?

(My two cents: Collings makes pretty, over-priced, over-rated ukuleles, too)

I read in Wood and Steel (Taylor's quarterly magazine) that a line of Taylor Ukuleles are in the works. I think it was the summer 2017 issue where Bob Taylor said 'look for something next year'. I'll see if I can find the article. I was intrigued as a longtime Taylor player. If guitars are any indication perhaps they'll roll out ukes across the price range.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the only Collings I have played didn't quite get there for me. I was, however, and early no frills one.

John

John, if you get up to Santa Monica at all I am happy to show you two Collings I think are a pretty damn special. A concert and a tenor.

I read in Wood and Steel (Taylor's quarterly magazine) that a line of Taylor Ukuleles are in the works. I think it was the summer 2017 issue where Bob Taylor said 'look for something next year'. I'll see if I can find the article. I was intrigued as a longtime Taylor player. If guitars are any indication perhaps they'll roll out ukes across the price range.

I read the same thing. Should be interesting if they do!

attachment.jpg

Found it. Thanks to DownUpDave for inserting this in an earlier post..

Last edited:
John, if you get up to Santa Monica at all I am happy to show you two Collings I think are a pretty damn special. A concert and a tenor.

Eddie,

I have no doubt they are. The one I tried was maybe 8-10 years ago when I was up in Portland on vacation. Solid mahogany. Nice ukulele, just not for me. I would imagine that if I took that trek up the 405, there would be a lot more than just those Collings I'd like to try... lol.

John

Top Bottom