Risa LP tenor

Tank you! But my question was about ultra light strings - 07, 08, 09.

The "light" set that RISA mentioned used electric 0.010"s. That's 15 pounds of tension, which is pretty light on a short little scale. You can certainly go lighter without damaging the instrument, but it's going to play pretty sloppy. You can use www.stringtensionpro.com to figure out the numbers for even lighter sets. Try it! Report back so others can benefit from your experiences.

Tank you very much! I think you are right, 0,010” will be fine.

I agree with everything Brad says above, just to add...

One thing you need to consider is that thinner strings will have less tension, but less tension after a point usually leads towards intonation issues (being quite sharp), however on an instrument such as the RISA LP, with adjustable saddles like and electric guitar you have maybe 10mm of travel to adjust the saddles which is a lot more than on an acoustic uke, which on an acoustic uke, the saddle and space to adjust the breakpoint of the string is typically 3mm or less.

Just realize that you are probably going to need to adjust the saddles for fixing intonation (for which all you need is your tuner and a small-head phillips screwdriver) each time you change to a different gauge of strings.

This is all par for the course and standard procedure for electric guitars and basses, and also carries over to steel-string electric ukes.

Actually lighter gauge strings will have the intonation going flat but the principle is correct. Personally I would use the middle 4 strings out of a set of 10-46's and using the lightest 4 strings from a set of 10-46's is pretty light indeed.

The lightest 4 strings from a 09- or 10- set would indeed be quite light already.
Going even lighter with 08- or 07 would indeed be "ultra light".

If I recall correctly, I used to do an octave-high dgbe tuning on a Soprano scale steel string electric a few years back.
I think I used the lightest set I could find (.007) and tuned it up to octave-high baritone dgbe. It was an interesting tuning.

In fact, digging my memories, I also did this with an acoustic steel-string soprano-scale Braguinha with some success lol.

Top Bottom