Song Help Request Help naming that tune. Jobim? Samba? Bossa?

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you hear a cool song on the radio but never hear who did it?

Not much to go on I know. This is the first bit of the melody line:
https://clyp.it/gh5lqwej

It sounds like a Jobim tune but I can't find it on YouTube.

Probably could be a cool uke accompaniment. The version I heard was guitar, had a gazillion chord changes, and the squeaking strings was driving me nuts. :p

That sounds somewhat like a tune out of The Jungle Book, possibly when the python (Ka?) has Mogli in his coils, could be 'Trust In Me'.

That is 'Manha de Carnaval' ('Morning of the Carnival'), by Luiz Bonfa. It's from the movie 'Black Orpheus'.

Last edited:
That sounds somewhat like a tune out of The Jungle Book, possibly when the python (Ka?) has Mogli in his coils, could be 'Trust In Me'.
Good guess, but no. :biglaugh:

That is 'Manha de Carnaval' ('Morning of the Carnival'), by Luiz Bonfa. It's from the movie 'Black Orpheus'.
That's it! :bowdown:

Before Chuck Mangione became a pop star, he recorded a beautiful version of this back around 1972. You can find it on youtube. I have it on vinyl!!!!!!

I've been working on that song for months with Sarah Maisel.

Last edited:
See the Movie!

Hello Jim,

First of all, you're late! Carnival in Rio (and here) will have been gone three weeks by tomorrow. We're all in Lent now. But that song has always been a favourite of mine and I've been humming it off and on for the past three weeks.

If you haven't seen Black Orpheus, by all means do so. Being a foreign film it didn't get all it's due at the Oscars. It didn't win for music in spite of introducing Bossa Nova to the world. It didn't get a nominamtion for Best Picture, although I imagine it had quality competicion back then (1958-1960?). The producers were French, and it did win for Cimenatography. The "super-color" is perfect for a Carnival and Rio never looked better.

I'd suggest a couple of things. First, get a decent version of the Greek Orpheus myth and read through it. Many of the scenes and characters in the movie are Brazilian representations of the Greek, and they will jump out at you if you know what to look for.

Second, do not, do not, listen to the dubbed version. It's atrocious! Subtitled versions are more common and they present the rythym and inflection of the dialogue better, to say nothing of how the dubbed version largely massacres the music.

Take a look; I can't imagine you won't be enthralled.

Last edited:
Thanks Dirk, I'll have to check it out. I had heard the song before but when I heard it this past weekend could not place it. Thanks to Steedy! Now I may have to try and learn it, but if I do, it won't be one of the chord melody versions. I'll have to dumb it down to just the chords and will still be a challenge!

It is a beautiful song. I learned a nice fingerstyle guitar arrangement of it many years ago in college, but I don't remember it now, and I can't find the sheet music. Luiz Bonfa was one of the pioneers of bossa nova, a great composer, and a fantastic guitarist. The 1959 film 'Black Orpheus', loosely based on the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, features the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim and Luiz Bonfa, and is definitely worth seeing. It helped kick off the bossa nova craze in the United States during the early 1960s.

Vince Guaraldi made a GREAT album, "Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus". Not to be missed.

This is a haunting song that I had forgotten about. I found the movie and also the chords for the song. Is there a different English name for this song. It seems to me there is.

'A Day in the Life of a Fool' is the same tune as 'Manha de Carnaval', but with completely different lyrics, written in English by songwriter/lyricist Carl Sigman.

(My brain is a vast storehouse of useless trivia!) ;)

Top Bottom