Bandsaw recommendation (UK)

BrianMahoney

Reaction score
After building a kit or two I seem to have a need to build more ukuleles. I'm collecting some wood and have sourced a bending iron and was thinking a bench top band saw would be a worthwhile addition to my work room. Space limitations limit me to bench top size. My budget is up to £200 though could stretch a little further I suppose. Any recommendations?

At the entry I've seen the titan ttb705bds from screwfix at £110 and the record power bs9 at £180 from machinemart.

Usage would be for rough cutting necks, soundboards etc. The ability to be able resaw hardwoods for sides etc would be nice in the future but not shure this is achievable.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited:
The basic Axeminster model works well for everything you need except resawing (which you said maybe not yet anyway). It was about 100 pounds, thought may have gone up in price since I got mine 10 years or so ago...

Personally, I would avoid the Titan only because of it's size and lack of power. I had the very similar Sheppach one from Screwfix, but soon realised after breaking a few bands, that I needed something better. So about 12 months later bought a hobby model from Axminster, it was around £250 at the time, but was well worth it and I've never broken any blades yet.
The problem with the smaller machines IMO is that the wheels are smaller and therefore put more stress on the blade by making it conform to a tighter bend, and so care must also be taken when buying new blades that they are of the correct thickness.
This is mine, and it has been my best and most useful tool purchase for a long time. https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-hbs250n-bandsaw-508204
You might still need a larger machine for resawing, but you may get away with this if you were to stick with sopranos.
Good luck.
Incidentally, mine is sat on the bench top, I don't use the cabinet.

Last edited:
I used an Electra Beckum BAS 250G (probably a generic machine rather than German original and now discontinued) successfully for several years, and the Axminster machine Mike references above seems very similar. Taking it slowly I could manage 70 mm thick mahogany guitar neck blanks with that machine, but that was it's limit.

Outside your price range I know, but for anyone in the UK looking for genuine re-saw capability but still in a benchtop machine, then I would recommend this one: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-bs11-bandsaw-508475 I traded up to one a year or so ago to gain better re-saw capability. Expensive and very heavy, but a huge improvement over the cheaper benchtop machines.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Budget and space constraints prevent me from following up on two of them though that sip looks like it could have a place in my dream workshop.

I'll look at the Axminster and see if I can stretch the budget to reach.

Brian

Im certainly interested in this thread.
I have been considering my options as I am looking for something with a bit more go about it too.
Not a lot of info for UK purchases

That SIP does look good!

Also consider getting a decent blade for whatever machine you do get. I reccomend Tuf Saws http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=4
their fastcut blade is great for re sawing. They are very helpful and if you email him with the details of blade length and what machine you have, and tell him what you want to cut he will recommend a suitable blade. I upgraded from the previous model of the Axminster Hobby bandsaw to a Record Power BS350s and love it but it is outside your price bracket. Take time to set the saw guides and table up properly, they don't work well straight out the box. Throw away the blade that comes with the bandsaw as they are usually very poor quality. This Youtube guide takes you through the set up process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ Setting the blade gullets central to the top wheel is one of the best tips I have came across and has eliminated any blade drift.

Cheers, Bob

Last edited:
Also consider getting a decent blade for whatever machine you do get. I reccomend Tuf Saws http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=4
their fastcut blade is great for re sawing. They are very helpful and if you email him with the details of blade length and what machine you have, and tell him what you want to cut he will recommend a suitable blade. I upgraded from the previous model of the Axminster Hobby bandsaw to a Record Power BS350s and love it but it is outside your price bracket. Take time to set the saw guides and table up properly, they don't work well straight out the box. Throw away the blade that comes with the bandsaw as they are usually very poor quality. This Youtube guide takes you through the set up process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ Setting the blade gullets central to the top wheel is one of the best tips I have came across and has eliminated any blade drift.

Cheers, Bob

+1 for TuffSaws blades. They're expensive bu they work well.

There's nothing wrong with the bench top models if you are fine with cutting medium density hardwoods under 3". They save space but eventually you may get tired of constantly placing it on the bench and then having to put it away again. I know I did. If it's permanently on a bench it saves very little space over a larger model. In the end I bought a cheap 14" model. I've had it some 15 years and it's served me well. Given that I buy ready cut sets it's not absolutely necessary but the capacity is always there just in case.

So OP doesn't want to resew and y'all suggesting he gets one he can resew with.... If this is a 'hobby' then a hobby saw will do. Either Axminster (tho don't use their blades) or Sheppach. I have 3 : A Warco I use for resawing, an old Kity for general work and hobby saw because it's useful. Resawing your own wood is not for wimps and often there is no saving to be had - only the pleasure of seeing something no-one else but you and God have seen.

After some experimentation I found a 1/4" x 6 tpi was the most useful blade for the 250 benchtop saw - better for cutting curves such as the neck heel and surprisingly good at straight cuts in relatively thick wood as well. I still use one most of the time in the new heavy duty saw.

After some experimentation I found a 1/4" x 6 tpi was the most useful blade for the 250 benchtop saw - better for cutting curves such as the neck heel and surprisingly good at straight cuts in relatively thick wood as well. I still use one most of the time in the new heavy duty saw.

Hi Paul, I agree with you but mine came with a 3/8" x 6 tpi and I manage ok with that for heel curves, and it's a little better for resawing fingerboard off cuts to make headstock veneers(faceplates) etc. Anything tighter than a heel curve, though and 1/4" would be much better. I use my machine for most things and don't like changing blades for different jobs. I also prefer a slightly wider kerf for cutting my own kerf linings, so it's a bit of a compromise for me, using the 3/8 x 6 blade for most things.
Mike.

Thanks Pete, that's a useful saving over the Axminster. I'm glad now my plans changed and I couldn't get to the Axminster store today.

Brian

1/4" 6 tpi is a good general purpose blade.

Agreed... On a general note about bandsaws; get the biggest baddest saw you can accommodate and afford because this is hands down the most used tool in the shop for building ukuleles and you will be using it a lot... Don't overlook the local used tool market. People often buy really nice power tools and end up never using them and then just want to get rid of them and they will sell them for a fraction of the price of a new tool. Basically they just want them gone. All of my main power tools were bought used at a fraction of the price and some were just given to me free. I paid a $100 dollars for a big 90 inch/12 inch throat bandsaw which does everything I ask of it.

Pushed the button on a scheppach basa 1-0-100mm bandsaw-240v. Went with an eBay seller as I can get it dropped off at a local argos store for pickup. Now to order up a couple of blades from tuffsaws.

Thanks for all the advice.

Brian

Top Bottom