CA glue off-gassing

jupiteruke

Reaction score
We all know how bad CA glue fumes are, eye and nose stinging, etc. I use CA glue for all sorts of stuff, and as a pore filler, but I do all the 'major' jobs outside, with the wind behind me. I had an interesting experience today.
I have some curly redwood I am going to use for a top. Because curly redwood is weak, and prone to micro-cracks, I decided to take the advice I had read recently about dealing with micro-cracks in woods like ziricote, and coat one side of the redwood (what will be the outside) with thin CA glue to stabilize things and to deal with at least one micro-crack I could find/feel. So I coated the top outside, with the wind behind me, and let it rest. After 15 minutes I needed the outside workspace for other things, so I laid the top, which seemed pretty dry but still smelled a little, over on the the concrete patio slab. Took it inside in a couple of hours later.
This morning, when the sprinklers came on and wet the concrete, there was the pattern of the top, including the curls! There was also a 'bloom' off the end in what was the down-wind direction. Enough CA glue has volatilized from what seemed like a pretty dry top to seal the concrete surface so that the water does not wet it. The volatilized glue even penetrated the curls, even though there is no evidence of glue soak-through on the redwood itself except for where it came through the micro-cracks. Moral - don't take that CA pore fill job back inside even when it 'seems' dry. Wait a couple of hours at least.

Attachments

• IMG_20180307_090557.jpg
    IMG_20180307_090557.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20180307_090625.jpg
    IMG_20180307_090625.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 102
Fascinating story, however, for me personally, I would give up working with wood if I had to do that.

I think we all have a love hate relationship with this stuff. Nasty fur shure, but for attaching things together it does the job like nothing else. ... By the way I wear goggles anymore when I work with the stuff. For me it attacks the eyes more than anything else. I laugh at the cyanoacrylate gas (aka cyanide) it puts off. Ha! (Falls over twitching).

I laminate all curly redwood topswith spruce. - the final thickness it my usual final thickness so it all sounds the same.

Very rarely use the stuff. In fact I can't think of one place on an actual instrument where I do use it. I sometimes use it for temporary clamping. I wouldn't use it for pore filling but if I did it would definitely be done outside. Same with hand sanding, I'd much rather do it outside. The only problem is that I've got to go down (and back up) two flights of stairs. . . . . then there's the British weather. If I had my time again I'd have a ground floor workshop that opened on to some sort of car port. Gentle breeze, 18 C - bliss. I'd have to find something else to complain about!

Top Bottom