The Ukulele Site

What is the benefit to them to waiting until a ukulele is sold before setting it up? I mean, that is one of their claims to fame, they do setups. So why wouldn't they do the setup when the ukes come in, and then have them ready to ship when someone bought them? Frankly, that is what I thought they did.

The reason they do setup after the uke is purchased is because the buyer has "Options" regarding the setup. For me personally(I have purchased several ukes from HMS over the years), when I purchase a uke from HMS, I request specific strings to be put on and a few purchases I had the tuners changed out to a different color that I thought matched the uke better than what it came with. You can also request how low or high of a setup you want according to your playing style such as fingerpicking or strumming.

That is the reason why setup is done after purchase. If I were to buy a brand spanking new Kanile'a ... I wouldn't want the Aquila strings that it comes with. I definitely would have HMS restring with a specific wound low G and fluorocarbons.

My apologies to the OP or anyone we missed. We are working on a whole new system for customer service including a cloud based phone system I can monitor and an entirely new customer relations management for our emails that should be up and running within a month or two. Again my apologies for missing anyone. We are here to help and I always want to do better, always growing and learning. Mahalo for your kind understanding. Like Len said, feel free to email, call, or text me direct. I try to help everyone I can:)
andrew@theukulelesite.com
(808)781-9168

My apologies to the OP or anyone we missed. We are working on a whole new system for customer service including a cloud based phone system I can monitor and an entirely new customer relations management for our emails that should be up and running within a month or two. Again my apologies for missing anyone. We are here to help and I always want to do better, always growing and learning. Mahalo for your kind understanding. Like Len said, feel free to email, call, or text me direct. I try to help everyone I can:)
andrew@theukulelesite.com
(808)781-9168

This is why I only buy my ukuleles from Andrew at HMS and I have bought lots. I understand sometimes their communication can fall short, it has happened to me. The fact that they realize this and are doing things to correct it speaks volumes. Andrew truly cares and it really shows when your uke arrives.

Damn now I feel like buying something:p

To the OP- if you are the JerryC that emailed me about buying a PS-0 on eBay 9 days ago I answered you with information trying to be helpful 3 hours after you sent the email and you responded back. And we have 9 email threads with you over the years discussing things back and forth. You always seemed thankful.

This is why I only buy my ukuleles from Andrew at HMS.

Same here. My only exceptions have been buying used instruments from UU members, or buying direct from builders. I’m another HMS fan.

MHS is hands down the site to buy from...not taking away from anyone else, as others have to eat too. Personally, whenever I email them I get something back either right away, or someone in the team replies within a reasonable time. One time Zac emailed me a set-up question about my Kamaka and okay'd things before sending it out; in other words communication has been stellar for me.

Last edited:
There's a good reason why so many HMS customers have spoken up as they have. I have no idea what happened in this instance but every business makes a mistake from time to time. When a problem comes up, what really matters is what is done to fix it. Customer-oriented business people do the right thing. They even err in favor of the customer when the situation isn't entirely clear. Andrew and his very capable crew measure up year in and year out.

MHS is hands down the site to buy from...not taking away from anyone else, as others have to eat too. Personally, whenever I email them I get something back either right away, or someone in the team replies within a reasonable time. One time Zac emailed me a set-up question about my Kamaka and okay'd things before sending it out; in other words communication has been stellar for me.

Couldn't agree more. I've had nothing but great experiences with HMS.

FWIW- never bought an instrument there, but they have always answered my questions promptly and thoroughly. I have found the same from Elderly.

Yah, Andrew and his team are top notch! I've ordered more than a dozen ukes from them during the past 5 years, and they've done a great job each time, and looked after my interests during each purchase, as well. I currently have a Kala Baritone ukulele on order there. It's a sub $300 uke, but I ordered it with a pickup, and I know it will get the best possible installation and setup, the same as an expensive custom or K-brand instrument would. Well worth a short 2 or 3-week wait. Sure beats waiting 2 or 3 years for a custom build. Am I right, people? :cool:

Last edited:
I try to remember that The Ukulele Site (and the other major vendors often recommended at UU) are small businesses run by individuals who have lives and problems and emergencies, etc. I understand that being in business is a commitment to providing customer service, but my purchase is a lot less important in the scheme of things (and even to me) than someone needing to tend to a child with the flu.

Last edited:
What is the benefit to them to waiting until a ukulele is sold before setting it up? I mean, that is one of their claims to fame, they do setups. So why wouldn't they do the setup when the ukes come in, and then have them ready to ship when someone bought them? Frankly, that is what I thought they did.

They have four people doing setups, and they can barely keep up with sales. Now Mim is a different story. I ordered a couple from her, and they arrived within a couple of days because she sets them up as soon as she gets them. I saw her at a ukulele event, and the whole time she was at hr table, she was setting up ukes.

It looks like I really put my foot in it ths time. :(

I was concerned because I wasn't able to get answers to a couple of questions over a period of several days. However, as all of you seem to know, HMS is a class act, and they emailed and phoned me tonight, and we got things straightened out. I have a Pono ACD coming probably next week, and I'm working on another order.

All's well that ends well, and my thanks to Andrew and Zach for their help.

Last edited:
Group hug! (until the next HMS sledging) :D then we'll start right over again :D

Haha! No way. From now on nothing but prompt and perfect service. 24/7 365! Ok, I’ll get in on that hug, see you next time.

Haha! No way. From now on nothing but prompt and perfect service. 24/7 365! Ok, I’ll get in on that hug, see you next time.

I am a sucker for giving second chance if the apology is genuine. Holding grudges is unhealthy to the soul. No one wins! Life is too short for that crap. Andrew has always been helpful although he missed one of my emails but that's understandable. He is only human. I will buy from HMS any day!

Last edited:
My past dealings with HMS have all been positive. I have called and Corey picked up the phone. I have emailed and Andrew and Zach returned them in a timely fashion. One time, one of my emails was dropped, and that was about an replacement item. I was starting to wonder what's going on, and the item arrived at my door, even before the email. So all worked out fine at the end. I am happy with them and they will continue to get my business.

First, I am very pleased with The Ukulele Site. I ordered a Romero Creations Replica two weeks ago. I wanted the full setup and the projected time was 13 to 17 business days. To my surprise, the ukulele arrived in just 10 business days. The setup is perfect and the ukulele is beautiful. I have only had a chance to play a few songs on it because I had to let it acclimate yesterday. Andrew, the owner of The Ukulele Site answered my emails personally and in good time. He was very helpful and personally made sure that I received the ukulele that Cory was playing in the sound sample video.

This was not my first ukulele from the Ukulele site, and I doubt that it will be the last. Despite the wait for setup, (well worth the wait in my opinion), they are often the first dealer on my list.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that responded in this thread. I was in the market to purchase a new uke, and I was a bit nervous about dealing with a shop that is so far away, not to mention 5 time zones. After reading the posts, I contacted Andrew directly, not even knowing who Andrew is. I was treated with total respect to my own needs and never felt pressured. The communication was amazing. My request was for my specific uke to have a grain that was unusual and distinct. In fact, I told Andrew, "The wilder, the better." Andrew told me that he would take pictures of the available ukes and send them to me--within 2 hours! He took the pics with his phone, and they were soon in my hands. I felt very assured and special with his attention to me. Honestly, because of his great service, I chose to take the leap from an ATD CR to Pro Classic model. No, my new uke is still being set up, and I have not yet held it. But isn't the anticipation part of the allure?

Top Bottom