The Ukulele Site

Jerryc41

Reaction score
The Ukulele Site, located on Oahu, is a premiere ukulele dealer, but their communication leaves a lot to be desired. Over the past few weeks, I have phoned and emailed many times. They do not answer their phone, return calls, or answer emails. Actually, I did get two responses to emails, but they really didn't deal with the questions.

Someone said that this is their busy season. That might be, but can't they deal with customers? There are lots of dealers selling ukuleles, and it's easy to click on another site.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/

Comments?

My only experience with the company was about 8 months ago and I can say it was positive. I changed my mind on what ukulele I wanted after I had ordered and had it switched to a new one no problem. It took emailing back and forth maybe 4 or 5 times within the course of 2 days. I was drawn to them by their well put together site and the time they put in to their set up process. They lived up to the mostly good reviews of them I would see constantly on here. That being said, now I have seen multiple instances of this lack of communication, and that's a shame for a company that puts so much time into the little things that make your uke perfect, is faltering on the most important thing a retail business needs to be able to do.

My recent experience was very positive. Nothing but good things to say.

Same here, I've recently had email conversations and purchased some items. Very happy with their service. Zach was always responsive to communications via email.

I've purchased three ukuleles and have a custom on order. I have nothing but positive things to say about The Ukulele Site/HMS. There was a problem with one order and the problem was settled to my satisfaction. The instruments were set up perfectly and delivered promptly, so I think they are great. I live on the East Cost USA, so there is a 6 hour time difference. I communicated via email and always received prompt and courteous replies.

My only experience with the company was about 8 months ago and I can say it was positive. I changed my mind on what ukulele I wanted after I had ordered and had it switched to a new one no problem. It took emailing back and forth maybe 4 or 5 times within the course of 2 days. I was drawn to them by their well put together site and the time they put in to their set up process. They lived up to the mostly good reviews of them I would see constantly on here. That being said, now I have seen multiple instances of this lack of communication, and that's a shame for a company that puts so much time into the little things that make your uke perfect, is faltering on the most important thing a retail business needs to be able to do.

I ordered from them about two years ago, and the transaction went fine, but all I did was click "Buy" and then wait a couple of weeks. No extra communication.

I've had good and bad experiences with 3 of the most prominent vendors mentioned on this site, I guess they all get busy at times. They are mostly all small businesses. The instruments I did get were all nicely set up, in one instance it went bad and was returned with full refund minus shipping.

Sorry to hear your experience. As recommended, contact Andrew. I have purchased quite a few ukes from them and had only positive experiences, including during the return of one that I was not happy with.

Probably not necessary to add another reply, but HMS has treated me better than any other vendor I have ever dealt with. As far as recent experience, three transactions and an unrelated email in the last six months. Always responded, always professional. The best service. As others have suggested, contact Andrew directly.

Just today, I made my first purchase from The Ukulele Site. I just used their "Buy Now" option and entered all the information required. I will see how this goes.

I can attest also that I've had a less than stellar experience with one of the Uke vendors that everyone here recommends. I sent an email about a purchase, clearly stating I was ready to buy but just needed to verify something, and I never received a response for 3 days. I decided, well, maybe they didn't receive the email so I called. I have no idea what type of phone they use, but it was like an IP or magicjack phone that was needing more bandwidth. I could hardly understand anything they said. I did go ahead and purchase the ukulele and received fast shipping. However, there was an issue and I had to return the uke. So I sent an email, same thing, no answer. I waited and waited for 3 days, still no response. I sent another email, no answer. So, I finally had to call again. Same terrible connection issues. Anyway, while I know lots of folks praise this dealer, I will never order again. They stated in their defense that it was a one person operation, but still if you don't understand and execute on the basic customer service requirements, you have an issue and miss the mark to run a successful business.

All that to say I hope this purchase with The Ukulele Site goes well and gets prompt service. I will report my experience because this is a $2,000.00 purchase.

Last edited:
Had a great experience ordering Gotoh UPT tuners from HMS. Ordered online, and the were delivered to me hete on the east coast within a week.

Also saw recently that Aaron has left HMS, he's doing Skype lessons online, and other things, I'm sure.

I also had non-replies, or seriously late repies from one of the top vendors recommended here, at least a couple of times. I vote with my feet, and just moved on, their loss.

Last edited:
All that to say I hope this purchase with The Ukulele Site goes well and gets prompt service. I will report my experience because this is a $2,000.00 purchase.

You know about the lengthy wait for setup, right? This is Day 14 for me, but I knew that when I ordered.

You know about the lengthy wait for setup, right? This is Day 14 for me, but I knew that when I ordered.

Yes, I took that into consideration. It does seem like a very long time, but I'm going in with my eyes open. :)

Last edited:
What is the benefit to them to waiting until a ukulele is sold before setting it up? I mean, that is one of their claims to fame, they do setups. So why wouldn't they do the setup when the ukes come in, and then have them ready to ship when someone bought them? Frankly, that is what I thought they did.

If you’ve been following my posts over the last week or so, you’d see that I’ve been going back and forth between different ukes. I’ve sent TUS a number of emails and have always gotten a response within a day. The last time I got an automated email saying they’re busy and might take up to 3 days for a response. 30 mins later I got an email from Andrew with very helpful info. Sorry your experience wasn’t so pleasant.

What is the benefit to them to waiting until a ukulele is sold before setting it up? I mean, that is one of their claims to fame, they do setups. So why wouldn't they do the setup when the ukes come in, and then have them ready to ship when someone bought them? Frankly, that is what I thought they did.

Because maybe they’re busy enough with setting up ones that are on order? There’s only so much one or two luthiers can do in a day.

Once you get on top of it that might save time once the instrument is ordered. Either way it has to get done, but it would likely only need a quick check to get it out the door. It would also mean that any in stock instrument could be play tested at its optimum.

Easier said than done. :)

as many and Andrew himself has said you can call him directly at 808 781 9168..this is his cell so just call him,sending a text message is even better....

Oh wow. That sucks you had a bad experience at the Ukulele Site. :(
I had top notch service there. In fact that is where I got my Tiny Tenor from. They are fast returning questions and honest about TAT for setup. In fact the first TT (I named it Snaggletooth) I got sent had a crack in it. They allowed a speedy return and I got a cool gift in the process. Very sincere folks! Make sure when you call them to call them during Hawaiian time zone business hours. I live in central time so I have to wait until the end of my day ... sometimes almost bed time to call them. Good luck!

Top Bottom