Ukulele tattoos?

Even this doesn't always work - one of my tattoos I waited over a year to get to make sure I'd really thought it over. 10 years later, I don't want it on my skin anymore, I've changed a lot in that time as has the world. I'll probably get it covered and then in 10 years regret the cover design :D

Yes, it’s tricky and no one solution suits all. Some folk do come to regret having such permanent marks made upon them and others don’t. When the impact of them is considered some things in life are too easy to do, IMHO getting a Tattoo is one of them. However I would suggest that slowing people down in their choice of Tattoo and getting them to think about it over say months is likely to result in happier outcomes than the spontaneous alternative.

I do hope that the OP isn’t upset by the way the thread has diverted.

Last edited:
Neither of my tattoos has an 'ukulele. I plan to get more but, again, no plans for including a uke. I prefer specific symbolisms.

That said, I love that 'ukulele spelled on the fingers thing. I would never completely rule out something similar for the future.

Tattoos were once a sign of rebellion or an indication that you were a sailor or a gang member or a sign that you did something regrettable when you were drunk. . . Over the years they have become more and more common. These days, the chances that your priest or your kid's kindergarten teacher or your doctor has a tattoo are better than average.
I change my mind and my tastes too often to safely get a tattoo, but if I'd gotten one on my chin 40 years ago, no one who met me 39 years ago would know about it.

Last edited:
Changing tastes and mind seems like an entry to "tas" (tattoo acquisition syndrome).

I would like to get another tat, a Sailor Jerry type is what I want.

But, then I think "I could have a tattoo of a uke on my arm or I could take the money and buy a REAL uke, or a bass guitar, or a new amp, or a PA system"........and then I start online shopping.

Sigh.....

Tattoos were once a sign of rebellion or an indication that you were a sailor or a gang member or a sign that you did something regrettable when you were drunk. . . Over the years they have become more and more common. These days, the chances that your priest or your kid's kindergarten teacher or your doctor has a tattoo are better than average.
I change my mind and my tastes too often to safely get a tattoo, but if I'd gotten one on my chin 40 years ago, no one who met me 39 years ago would know about it.
I got a screaming eagle on my left arm above the sleeve line when I wear a tee shirt. I got it in 1971, when I was a sailor in the Navy. It was somewhat of a rite of passage for sailors back then. I never got another, and even though I stand in front of the mirror shaving, brushing my teeth, and getting dressed every day, months go by, even years, where I don't even notice it. If it weren't for my granddaughter, who pulls up my sleeve to look for it, I would forget I ever had it. Just another note, over the span of 47 years it isn't as sharp or colorful as it was when I got it, and much of the meaning has dimmed as well. It has moved a bit too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom