Season 317 - Outside

shine on harvest moon in my garden with cheap soprano,my first uke,shot on my Iphone

This time last week we had snow, but today it is almost feeling like spring. Our garden is slowly coming to life, a daffodil or two here and there, a few other bulbs that we can't remember planting, but not a lot else yet. So, enjoy the view of the rather bare back fence, and the side of the house next door, while I do a Cole Porter song which seemed appropriate.

This is a real tall order for me pa. I'm really self conscience about playing solo around people and outside and stuff like that, I didn't care when I played bass in bands, but me as a solo is a whole different deal. I know it's dumb, but it's how I feel. So I walked outside on my deck, on a chilly day here, got set up to "sneak" in a take of this Jim Lauderdale and Robert Hunter written tune I heard the first time for the other day, and wouldn't ya know it, neighbors came outside in the house behind me, and dogs started barking at me at the house next to me. Ugggggg...I about gave up then to be honest. I did this quick one so-so take when the neighbors went back inside, but I was thinking they'd come back out any moment. This is not a neighborhood where people go outside and sing and play instruments. Hey, at least the title of this song kinda fits this weeks theme right? lol

I haven't been this excited to see what my fellow Seasinistas come up with in a long time.

Great idea for a theme, Pa. I'm looking forward to this tremendously, and I got an idea for a unique outdoor place for tomorrow.

Awwwww man, just yesterday we had a kanikapila (jam session) outside at the Bishop Museum in Honolulu. I will definitely bring some songs, great idea Brian!

I apologize to everyone else for being able to sit outside comfortably in short sleeves. Actually, even in short sleeves, it was still a little hot. This was from yesterday; it's somewhat cooler today. I'm trying to learn this song for a FB group. Short outtake at the end.

I'll probably do one from old tractor tyre later. For this one and the following, I'm sitting on the tub that we bathe the dog in.

I honestly didn't even notice the woodpecker. My camera hears better than I do.

Another one I managed to record yesterday in spite of the puppy we are temporarily puppy-sitting, who wanted to play, of course, being a puppy. This is a song I'm trying to memorize, but I still flubbed the lyrics even with using my phone as a cheat sheet.

Gratuitous puppy footage after the song.

Hi, Brian! Recorded outside late this afternoon, so that I could get one in before the rain arrives and I have to retire to the woodshed. Had to do two takes, because, the first time, the wind got up and one of the song sheets blew away. I played my tenor Outdoor Uke and recorded with the aid of a Kindle and a dustbin half-full of water, which was used to prop up the music. For no reason whatsoever, there is a "bonus" note at the end! (Have decided that all songs recorded this week should be in French as I am in a French garden.)

Last edited:
Well, a norther blew in last night and it is predicted to be extremely windy for a few days at least. I don't know if I'll be able to do any more. Even with adhesive bandages over the microphones, all I get is wind noise.

Appropriate for the weather. And we're going to have more of it this week.

I'm still reading Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements. So here's track three from Let It Be, with a little birdsong on this sunny, spring day in Portland. (Thank you for inviting the great weather, pabrizzer!)

Already real pleased with the particiation this week. You folks are real good sports! And talented too!
Please let me know if you don't appear in the playlist. It's what I forget to do most often.
Will try and organise some little Aussie trinket as a prize this week.
I figure if you're going to the extra trouble to take it outside there should be a reward. Not much of a reward mind....

Great Theme Brian! "Natural"ly, we now are under a Winter Weather Advisory, and cold snowy weather appears on its way! We'll do our best, to at least step out onto the patio for a video or two. At least this time, if the gold fish pond freezes over, we won't have to compete with the gurgling fountain noise! :) Brrrrrrrr!

Well, the sound would drive away the skunks and maybe burglars, too, so, worth a shot.

Strange timing for this theme (except perhaps in Australia). Strange "theme", come to that. I can hardly wait for the inevitable topper: will it be the season of the trampoline? Uking in loos, while fire-walking, while waiting in line, while hanging upside-down, while blind-folded? Flash-mobbing? I always dislike it when themes focus on the how or who instead of the what.

maybe you should volunteer to host a season one day then!

Greetings,

This is going to be fun! I have some ideas. ( strange though they be). No birdies yet but we have plenty of cats and squirrels out there. :)

Ciao

This is awesome! Sing whatever you want AND do it outside. There aren't any parks near my house in urban Yangon, and on the whole this city is rife with street noise, When I first found this alley nearby I knew I wanted to record something there. The brick work, the barbed wire, the corrugated metal, the plumbing on the outside of mold-ridden tropical building walls; it's an interesting space. And no cars!

Top Bottom