Season 317 - Outside

So, I wanted to replicate the kitchen sessions somehow, but it is too darn wet and cold to stand around the bar b cue for an hour while I do 45 tales of a three minute song, so I tried plan b. I don’t know how I talked Mel into it, but we made our first car video! She drove me around while I did 45 tales of a three minute song. We wanted to show you the sights and sounds of Cloverdale, so naturally it is pitch black.
Of note...Melissa cannot see at all with the light on in the car. It is a wonder no lives were lost. That and I have said this before...
Ain’t a party until someone plays the GoGos.
Thanks for this one Pa. Oh how we laughed.

So, I wanted to replicate the kitchen sessions somehow, but it is too darn wet and cold to stand around the bar b cue for an hour while I do 45 tales of a three minute song, so I tried plan b. I don’t know how I talked Mel into it, but we made our first car video! She drove me around while I did 45 tales of a three minute song. We wanted to show you the sights and sounds of Cloverdale, so naturally it is pitch black.
Of note...Melissa cannot see at all with the light on in the car. It is a wonder no lives were lost. That and I have said this before...
Ain’t a party until someone plays the GoGos.
Thanks for this one Pa. Oh how we laughed.

Is this the first car video while the vehicle is in motion?
I vaguely remember Benji doing one on a car trip.....
Whatever - SUPER fun guys! I have smile pain!

I wrote a song. It rained last night so my arse is wet from the chair on the balcony.

Lyrics in the description

We're having a major blizzard today. It's been snowing for hours. So of course I had to sing this song. It was actually written in 1945 during a heat wave in July in California. I recorded it in my garden. It will look entirely different in just a couple months.

I have really enjoyed following this season.
I have the flu and couldn't take part even if this season were themed around laying in bed.
If I manage to get better and find my voice before Sunday then perhaps I will venture with a Uke out into this, though I am not sure how much my Uke would appreciate it:
outside.jpg
(you can't see, but it is snowing a little)
But inspiration from myrnaukelele suggests that recording in the snow is, perhaps, easier than I may think.
Keep up the good work everyone.

Last edited:
Here I am in my backyard, under my deck. It's still windy here, but the temperature is considerably better today than it's been all week. It occurred to me I haven't done a Dwight Yoakam song in quite awhile, and this is one I've never done before, though I did play bass on it a few times in bands when it first came out.

Hi Seasonistas,

I have been a bit busy lately, but I managed to record something this week :)

No, I didn't have an camera crew to turn the camera and take me outside the frame - that was the wind. It didn't suit my clothes.

I have really enjoyed following this season.
I have the flu and couldn't take part even if this season were themed around laying in bed.
If I manage to get better and find my voice before Sunday then perhaps I will venture with a Uke out into this, though I am not sure how much my Uke would appreciate it:
View attachment 107267
(you can't see, but it is snowing a little)
But inspiration from myrnaukelele suggests that recording in the snow is, perhaps, easier than I may think.
Keep up the good work everyone.

I guess if you live in Alaska or Iceland you have to get used to that kind of weather.
Sorry to hear about the flu.
Sure hope you start feeling better soon.

Great idea for a season Pa. I took a trip out in my camper van and took my uke. Made a cup of tea and recorded a song. This little uke is louder than me and I felt I was struggling to be heard.

I tried to get out earlier in the week but kept getting chased by the rain. This is from a hill top in a park right behind our house. It’s a few km to get up to this spot, but the view of the San Francisco Bay is pretty incredible (SF is out of frame to the right and across the water). We like to go to this spot and sit when the weather is a little nicer. I apologize, I forgot the bandaids in my car.

Thanks Pa, I’ve never thought to play in our neighborhood and I was glad to bump up against the edges of my comfort zone a little. Kind of wish you were a week later though, we’re off for a vacation to Death Valley on Sunday.

Last edited:
Here's a song, I think this one is about Sitting on the Dock of the Bay at the San Francisco Bay area, I recently viewed an excellent ukulele version of this song , and as I was already lazily considering practicing this song at some time, I felt inspired to get Outside to do a song video for the Season.
The wind wasn't too bad but being a bay area it was everywhere, so there are times throughout when the wind is audible but it's mostly ok and I hope you enjoy it.
It's recorded locally, nearby at a local dock of the bay, actually at a small remnant part of an older dock of the bay.

Last edited:
A lovely song but a yucky day...

I hope Spring comes soon to Maryland!

Hello again, Brian ... one more, "La Pluie" (The Rain), which pretty much sums up the week's weather here; although, fortunately, it cleared up this afternoon when I recorded this. The backdrop is our barn, which dates from 1800-and-something and contains, amongst other things, animal pens, a cart and an awful lot of cobwebs.

A new song written especially for this Season.

The word "outside" in Liverpool (and in many other British cities) is a feared word, because it is usually issued by some guy twice your size wanting a fight with you (outside the pub) for something you've done or said, or simply because he doesn't like something about you.

I had thought that this "typical male behaviour" had been in terminal decline, but I see recently that it is alive and thriving, despite years of moves towards "metrosexuality".

It is a grave mistake to think that the social battles we fought as young people established a new progressive pattern forever. Sadly, subsequent generations can rebel into the opposite behaviour to that which you consider modern and civilised. How we can make permanent progress on social issues is a major headache we still have to figure out.

Anyway, that was the inspiration for this song - which I filmed on the old horse and cart track to the north out of my new home town of Vilanova i la Geltrú.

Top Bottom