Season 317 - Outside

I almost forgot I did this one just before the sun went down. Good thing I did.
The water isn't coming after at 1 pm. It's coming at 1 am :/
I'm just waiting to turn it on.

thanks for hosting this week Brian.
one from a local nature reserve near our house
played in sympathy for our friends in northern climes.

There are so many great songs about railways that I could have picked, but I went with one of the basics, one of the ones you can sing around the campfire and everyone knows it.

Living in a Third World country, I know that on the periphery of this city life, there are people who don't have access to basic things like bathrooms. Unfortunately, the peripheries are also the best places to go and do things like play the ukulele. Just be glad that YouTube videos don't have a "share odor" feature because this would make you wanna barf.

The Starplate lyric and chord generator

Cabin fever strikes and a rip in the space time continuum allows me
to demonstrate how the Universe can deliver lyrics and chords through
the Starplate geodesic dome... NEARLY... there was something wrong
with the frequencies, and the nano technology settings... namely something
was not in tune.

The community where I live is lucky enough to have a community-owned hydroelectric grid which provides clean, cheap energy. However, during summer storms, we occasionally experience power cuts. Happily, Paul McCartney wrote a song to help us out. It's still very cold out, but the wind has died down a bit.

So my wife and I went out of state today to pick a new car for her, she's been wheeling and dealing with various car sales people and middlemen for a few weeks now, she's a shark when it comes to that kind of a thing. I was going to record a different song today, but on the way back this one popped into my head, which I figured fit quite nicely on this uncomfortably cold and windy day. I listened to it on CD a few times, then stopped and practiced it very briefly, then hit record, this is the third take. I was having a lot of issues keeping the uke in tune due to the cold, and this is slapped together quick, so it's kinda rough.

one of my favourite Martin Sexton songs
live from the golden road

Just in case you think I'm posting my own vids and ignoring yours - I'm on my phone today and it doesn't easily take me to your YouTube vid. I' m loving what's coming in and will comment when I get home this evening. Keep them coming.

Last edited:
Tried to sneak this one in before it both got dark and we experienced another deluge.
One of my kids asked about it...funny little song. I guess this one I am supposed to know (as evidenced by the eye roll when I said otherwise)

Ok, I made it onto the balcony, but it's another grey day.Things were going OK until I realised that I was half way through, and I hadn't pushed record.
Jeff St John had a few hits back in the late 60s ,early 70s, this being the first one. Jeff was born with spina bifida and spent much of his life in a wheelchair, and passed away earlier this month.

There are a few photos from my balcony and the local area at the end of the recording for those that are interested. I'm not smart enough to integrate them.

I remembered a song that has some lines about being outside. Steve Forbert is a great song writer. I've always really liked that line about "fade like magazines." I did this once before, in some season long past, but this time I did it on the baritone so I could sing it in a more comfortable key. The part I whistled is a piano riff in the original.

Tractor tyre in the background. Camera set up in the back of my car with the hatchback open.

We're having a major blizzard today. It's been snowing for hours. So of course I had to sing this song. It was actually written in 1945 during a heat wave in July in California. I recorded it in my garden. It will look entirely different in just a couple months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom