Aquila Sugar compares to Flurocarbon strings (Video)

Lapyang

Reaction score
I finally got a hold of a set of Aquila Sugar Strings. I planned to put in on my new Fred Shields Soprano. However, I realized I ordered a concert set instead of soprano. According to mimmo, it is OK to put the concert on soprano. Anyway, my Fred Shields Soprano has a 14 inch scale length, so concert strings might not be a bad idea.

The uke came originally with "fishing lines", according to Mr. Shields. To me, the sound and feel resemble closest to Worth light tension clear strings.

The Aquila Sugar strings are of thicker gauges. Bright, crisps and loud with long sustain. To my ears, volume is at least 20% louder than FC strings. The sugar gave me a "flurocarbon strings on steroid" feel. It did squeak quite a bit on dry fingers. I put on hand lotion and the squeaks went away. I also felt higher tension on my fingers with the sugar.

I am usually a FC strings guy but I like the sugar strings. In fact I like it a lot. I will order a few more sets and try them on my other Ukes.

This one is the original FC strings.

This one is the Aquila Sugar.

Thank you Joseph for the comparison.
The Sugar sounds much louder.
Fred Shields said Martin is best suited for his uke. His 'fishing lines' are base on Martin strings.
I must give this Sugar a try. High tension is good, you can control the volume better when plunking.
Your new 'OVAL' looks very comfortable to play especially the notes near the body. Castle in the Sky, uh??

The Aquila Sugar strings are of thicker gauges. Bright, crisps and loud with long sustain. To my ears, volume is at least 20% louder than FC strings. The sugar gave me a "flurocarbon strings on steroid" feel. It did squeak quite a bit on dry fingers. I put on hand lotion and the squeaks went away. I also felt higher tension on my fingers with the sugar.

I am usually a FC strings guy but I like the sugar strings. In fact I like it a lot. I will order a few more sets and try them on my other Ukes.

I would imagine that there might be a little less tension if you were to try soprano strings. As long as they feel comfortable, I would not worry.

The Sugar strings seem to sound a bit fuller with more body.

I would imagine that there might be a little less tension if you were to try soprano strings. As long as they feel comfortable, I would not worry.

The Sugar strings seem to sound a bit fuller with more body.

Yes. I have ordered a Soprano set to switch out later. I have a few concerts to try out this concert string set.

Thank you. This is one of the first songs I learned when I started playing ukulele 2 years ago.

Actually, watching your video has inspired me to try to figure out an instrumental version by ear. I've made it to the end of the first verse and I'm about to attempt the bridge. I'm really enjoying the challenge. Thank you.

Actually, watching your video has inspired me to try to figure out an instrumental version by ear. I've made it to the end of the first verse and I'm about to attempt the bridge. I'm really enjoying the challenge. Thank you.

Power to you! It always amaze me when people can do that.
When I first learned the song, I basically searched through YouTube and pieced together 2-3 versions that has chords I could do. I wished I remember whose arrangements I used, so I can give them credits.

Thanks for the videos. It gives me nice idea what to expect from the Sugar strings, which I intend to try sometime soon.

I'm curious how well they stay in tune? I put Aquila Super Nylguts on the Kalnile'a (the one I acquired from you :) ), and while I like them, they tend to constantly go out of tune (the thicker the string, the more its tuning strays), whereas the FC strings that were originally on it were very stable. With the Sugars being thicker, I wonder if they have the same issue.

Thanks for the videos. It gives me nice idea what to expect from the Sugar strings, which I intend to try sometime soon.

I'm curious how well they stay in tune? I put Aquila Super Nylguts on the Kalnile'a (the one I acquired from you :) ), and while I like them, they tend to constantly go out of tune (the thicker the string, the more its tuning strays), whereas the FC strings that were originally on it were very stable. With the Sugars being thicker, I wonder if they have the same issue.

Once the Sugars are stretched they stay in tune great. Nothing like the Nylgut's.

Power to you! It always amaze me when people can do that.
When I first learned the song, I basically searched through YouTube and pieced together 2-3 versions that has chords I could do. I wished I remember whose arrangements I used, so I can give them credits.

I admit that after my initial attempt, I referred to my chords that I use when I sing it, so it's not like I was completely unaided. Plus I had the advantage of seeing and hearing you do it first (although I've gone a bit beyond that snippet now.

I think they are Kiyoshi Kobayashi Ghibli studio arrangement :). Not sure about the second song. Is it my neighbor Totoro?

I think they are Kiyoshi Kobayashi Ghibli studio arrangement :). Not sure about the second song. Is it my neighbor Totoro?

The second song was a Hong Kong pop song from the 80's. The translated name should be "Love is that Sweet".

Top Bottom