Ohana Cynthia Lin Signature

It is a brilliant market move on Ohana’s part. Cynthia has a pretty large following on YouTube, with an audience of many beginners who will looking for their first “serious” ukulele. If you like Cynthia Lin, this would be a great place for a beginner to go to as their second instrument.

It's pretty, probably sounds great. I might buy it for my daughter if the price is right, she would love it.

Last edited:
I recall seeing mention of this one on the NAMM thread as well.

Ukecaster - Thanks for bringing this one up and reminding me.

I agree with Choirguy, this seems like a great starter. I know a handful of folks offline that mentioned to me that they like Cynthia Lin better than some of the other well-known YT instructors.

I'm not one for bling, but the hibiscus inlay on the fretboard (state flower of Hawaii) looks very nicely done, and even modest to my eye, but still adds a tiny bit of flair.

I hope to try one of these and see how they are, and I too am eager for reviews from other UU members.

Seems like a nice thing that Ohana is making this with her involved.

She showed us this at her show last month at Hapa Restaurant in Gardena.
It looks great.
I like the strap button/plug in amp feature.

She was my first youtube teacher and I still like her a lot. She takes the instrument, and teaching, seriously. But her method of numbering the strings by calling the g string number one (the opposite of everyone else in the world) drives me batty, though I do understand her thinking. When I began I thought it should be that way, and I bet most beginners do, but having trained my mind the other way, it's hard to translate back to her way.

Back to the uke, it's pretty and I bet it is very nice.

Great marketing. My ukulele group uses her arrangements, and many are readiy to move up from their Kohala, Diamond Head etc. entry level ukes after a year of playing.

Curious about price also. When I saw it mentioned at NAMM I assumed it would be super expensive, didn't realise it was aimed at learners.

Cynthia posted a sign-up sheet for those interested in the CL model by Ohana.
Folks will get notified when they're available later this year (expected late May 2018). Price point for US is less than $200. I am looking forward to getting mine!! :)

I think it's really interesting that Cynthia and Jake S. have both brought out laminate ukes aimed at the beginner end of the market and on these pages Cynthia has got a lot of love for hers and Jake took a bit of a beating from a few members (not all). I wonder why the perception of what is essentially the same move is so different for these two artists?

Can't go wrong with an Ohana anyway, they're very hard to beat at their price point. I like the inlay!

I had to go back and look at comments on the Shima thread. The main concern was the price point for a tenor neck concert versus other similar products. People seemed to think that Jake’s involvement wasn’t worth an extra $125 versus a similar Ohana long neck soprano for $175.

Cynthia’s, I believe is a concert with some inlays coming in under $200. Obviously, Cynthia doesn’t have the appeal of Jake, but the price point seems to line up with the market better than the Shima.

But the thread also said that the Shimas are gone.

I don’t think Jake needs to be defended or attacked about it—but we should be able to talk value and the current pricing on the marketplace without offending anyone.

Ah, I didn't know the Cynthia pricing so I couldn't make those comparisons. I'm not sure who you think is offended? I just wondered about the differing reception these two similar things got, this is a place for discussion after all!

It is a brilliant market move on Ohana’s part. Cynthia has a pretty large following on YouTube, with an audience of many beginners who will looking for their first “serious” ukulele. If you like Cynthia Lin, this would be a great place for a beginner to go to as their second instrument.

yes - very good idea. She also does basic uke reviews.

Bril.
I think this will be great for a niche market: girls and women especially, who have learned to play an entry level sop, want a "prettier" instrument, are ready for some more room on the fingerboard, and don't have any interest in caring for a solid wood instrument. I have some neices who fit this demographic. I promised them an upgrade if they learned to play, ended up putting them into Kala laminates in hog or koa. This one would have been ideal.
And Cynthia is such an appealing sponsor...

Last edited:
My wife picked up one of these from the Cynthia Lin get together last night.
Cynthia put in to her hands, pretty cool.

The ukulele is quite nice and comes with Worth Browns, which we have never used.
The strings sound very good as does the ukulele.
Its also the first Ohana we have had, and judging from this example, it won't be the last.

I'm off the festival now.

Top Bottom