Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohana Cynthia Lin Signature

I think it's really interesting that Cynthia and Jake S. have both brought out laminate ukes aimed at the beginner end of the market and on these pages Cynthia has got a lot of love for hers and Jake took a bit of a beating from a few members (not all). I wonder why the perception of what is essentially the same move is so different for these two artists?

Can't go wrong with an Ohana anyway, they're very hard to beat at their price point. I like the inlay!

I had to go back and look at comments on the Shima thread. The main concern was the price point for a tenor neck concert versus other similar products. People seemed to think that Jake’s involvement wasn’t worth an extra $125 versus a similar Ohana long neck soprano for $175.

Cynthia’s, I believe is a concert with some inlays coming in under $200. Obviously, Cynthia doesn’t have the appeal of Jake, but the price point seems to line up with the market better than the Shima.

But the thread also said that the Shimas are gone.

I don’t think Jake needs to be defended or attacked about it—but we should be able to talk value and the current pricing on the marketplace without offending anyone.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Ah, I didn't know the Cynthia pricing so I couldn't make those comparisons. I'm not sure who you think is offended? I just wondered about the differing reception these two similar things got, this is a place for discussion after all!

Unlike the majority of Ohana ukes, it has side fret markers. Good job, Cynthia!

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest, Aug. 24-26, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    It is a brilliant market move on Ohana’s part. Cynthia has a pretty large following on YouTube, with an audience of many beginners who will looking for their first “serious” ukulele. If you like Cynthia Lin, this would be a great place for a beginner to go to as their second instrument.
    yes - very good idea. She also does basic uke reviews.

Bril.
    I think this will be great for a niche market: girls and women especially, who have learned to play an entry level sop, want a "prettier" instrument, are ready for some more room on the fingerboard, and don't have any interest in caring for a solid wood instrument. I have some neices who fit this demographic. I promised them an upgrade if they learned to play, ended up putting them into Kala laminates in hog or koa. This one would have been ideal.
    And Cynthia is such an appealing sponsor...
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 04-13-2018 at 07:41 AM.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 20's or 30's?
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Koaloha KCM-00
    Kanile'a K1 Concert
    Kamaka 1969 Tiki Concert
    Larrivee UT40MHO spruce/hog Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    ...we should be able to talk value and the current pricing on the marketplace without offending anyone.
    Definitely! Offending people doesn't contribute anything. (I hate having to add words just to get to the minimum posting limit.)

Thread Information