Strings for switching between high and low G

NoyBoy98

Reaction score
Hey all, was wondering if there was a good set of strings suitable for switching out the high/low G string. Since high/low G come in their own sets, I’m not sure if the CEA strings are made differently to go with whatever G you’re using.

I only have 1 uke and it would be a pain to have to switch out all 4 strings anytime I wanted to go between high/low G. Thanks all!

Personally, I think that'd be a pain in me arse.
Get another uke, keep one strung up lo G and the other hi g.
You'll be happier.

Yea, I’ve thought of that. Was thinking maybe a cheap Kmise or Vtab concert as a 2nd uke. I don’t mind switching strings for right now though.

To answer your question, no, you don't have to switch out all 4 strings. "Balance" between the strings can be an issue, but that's generally the case with low G anyway. Switching between high and low, the low will probably have to be wound to be closer in size to the unwound high G. You might need to try a few low G options to find one that works well with your chosen CEA set.

It's just the g string that's different between the two sets, assuming same manufacturer and style of string. High g and low g, but CEA Is CEA.

The CEA strings are the same, BUT every time you change your G string, it will take time (a few hours maybe?) for it to settle in. During that time, you will need to constantly play and retune that string. It's not as simple as simply switching the string and being good to go. Personally, I'd buy a cheap second uke to have both options available when I need them (I currently have ukes permanently tuned to both high G and low G).

Another option: a 5-string uke. Ohana makes them. It’s has two Gs. High and low. Or, as suggested, take your second uke and string one reentrant and the other linear.

Personally, I think that'd be a pain in me arse.
Get another uke, keep one strung up lo G and the other hi g.
You'll be happier.

Perfect solution. Buy the time you go through Amazon picking out strings and then pay to get them shipped, installed, tuned, etc., you might as well buy a nice Kamaka low-G and be done with it. :)

Yea, I’ve thought of that. Was thinking maybe a cheap Kmise or Vtab concert as a 2nd uke. I don’t mind switching strings for right now though.

Cheap ukes can be hit or miss. You'll find that you won't want to play the cheap one, so it will be a waste of money. Read the reviews on Got a Ukulele, and you will see some some good and some bad reviews for the cheapies.

Cheap ukes can be hit or miss. You'll find that you won't want to play the cheap one, so it will be a waste of money. Read the reviews on Got a Ukulele, and you will see some some good and some bad reviews for the cheapies.

Oh trust me, I’ve gone through my fair share of his reviews and all very helpful. It’s how I found out about Vtab (his brand of the year for 2017). Kmise considerations come from other user experiences here on this board.

Having 2 different ukes is the solution. (this is also one way that UAS starts off)

Repeatedly changing/alternating the G string on the same uke is a recipe for disappointment. Nobody does this unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Others have commented elsewhere on UU about the technical aspects of this, which I cannot explain myself right now.

You can get a new Makala MK-C concert uke for like $62, or new Makala MK-T tenor uke for $75 almost everywhere and will give you a much better result, as well as the ability to try them back-to back with one uke in hi-G and one uke in low-g...

Wound low G strings will sound better and fit better at the nut. They will also break quite easily. I’d be surprised it it lasted through the second swap.

As others have stated:

-It's not very practical to keep switching between low-G and high-G on the same uke often.
In fact, it may accelerate wear and tear on the instrument a bit.

-Probably better to either settle on one tuning long term (provided you are able to find a clear preference) or have 2 ukes tuned differently.
My personal solution to this is have a Soprano tuned in high-G and have a Tenor (or Concert) tuned in low-G.
For some reason, this duo seems appropriate, like that's how the ukuleles are meant to be tuned.

-Inexpensive ukes doesn't necessarily mean bad quality. If you know what you're looking for, and perhaps have some skill (or interest) in doing basic setups, you can find excellent value and enjoyment in cheaper ukes.

To answer your question, no, you don't have to switch out all 4 strings. "Balance" between the strings can be an issue, but that's generally the case with low G anyway. Switching between high and low, the low will probably have to be wound to be closer in size to the unwound high G. You might need to try a few low G options to find one that works well with your chosen CEA set.

I have a dumb question. What do you mean by "balance"? Do you mean the tone quality will sound mismatched? The ukulele may need realignment or will have tuning problems? Or something else?

Guitar player here, with a really dumb question: What is the purpose of the high G string? I just can't figure out what earthly use it is to have a high string where the bass string is supposed to be. I'm sure that's a guitar-centric perspective, but I just can't make any sense of it.

Top Bottom