Kiwaya KS-1 vs Martin Style 0

I am curious about your thoughts on the two Ukes, Ukecaster.
They both sound good to me, with the solid mahogany 40s uke being slightly louder and having more vibrantcy.
The KS-1 laminate sounded very good and balanced as well, especially strumming. I would be happy to have it if I were looking for another soprano. Thank you for taking the time to post a comparison.

Kiwaya Laminates are really amazing instruments, especially for the cheap-ish price

I am curious about your thoughts on the two Ukes, Ukecaster.

To my ears, the vintage Martin has richer low/mids, and more overtones, a more complex sound. The Kiwaya is slightly brighter, but no slouch, as far as great mahogany soprano tone. Low frets and action make it a breeze to play. We'll see if the laminate sound changes over time. Added note: the Kiwaya body is deeper than the vintage Martin: 5 mm deeper at the body bottom, and 7 mm deeper body at the heel. I'm sure that helps the laminate crank out some extra volume.

1.JPG

Last edited:
Many will say that laminates don't improve with age, but I like to differ (I like laminate instruments :))

Great video and comparison, thanks. What tune is that if you don't mind me asking?

Love the Kiwaya laminates. Knock many similarly priced solid wood instruments out of the park, and many that cost more too.

I have a Famous FS-1 (same as the KS-1) coming on my reviews page soon.

Love the Kiwaya laminates. Knock many similarly priced solid wood instruments out of the park, and many that cost more too.

I have a Famous FS-1 (same as the KS-1) coming on my reviews page soon.

Looking forward to that review!

Nice....But I think the martin wins without question.
honestly, have you guys ever herd a Ohana sk28 Nunes special edition soprano?
I have one and I am very impressed...its quite nice.

Nice....But I think the martin wins without question.
honestly, have you guys ever herd a Ohana sk28 Nunes special edition soprano?
I have one and I am very impressed...its quite nice.

I have one, sweetest uke I´ve ever played!

To my ears, the vintage Martin has richer low/mids, and more overtones, a more complex sound. The Kiwaya is slightly brighter, but no slouch, as far as great mahogany soprano tone. Low frets and action make it a breeze to play. We'll see if the laminate sound changes over time. Added note: the Kiwaya body is deeper than the vintage Martin: 5 mm deeper at the body bottom, and 7 mm deeper body at the heel. I'm sure that helps the laminate crank out some extra volume.

View attachment 107264

I currently own a KS-1 and had a couple vintage Martins in the past. I would agree completely with Ukaster's comparison of the two. The Martins definitely have a more complex, rich sound. Amazing instruments. No question the gold standard for vintage sopranos. The Kiwaya is amazing in a different way. It is bright and punchy, perfect for a soprano. I found it slightly easier to play than the Martins (I did not measure, but I believe the Kiwaya has a wider fretboard). It is near perfect. It sounds better than many solid wood sopranos without any of the maintenance concerns.

I currently own a KS-1 and had a couple vintage Martins in the past. I would agree completely with Ukaster's comparison of the two. The Martins definitely have a more complex, rich sound. Amazing instruments. No question the gold standard for vintage sopranos. The Kiwaya is amazing in a different way. It is bright and punchy, perfect for a soprano. I found it slightly easier to play than the Martins (I did not measure, but I believe the Kiwaya has a wider fretboard). It is near perfect. It sounds better than many solid wood sopranos without any of the maintenance concerns.

If one were to want solid wood, the Kiwaya KTS4 is a fabulous instrument. It has all the same playability benefits and great sound from the solid wood. I once had one and in a fit of insanity I sold it. :(

....I did not measure, but I believe the Kiwaya has a wider fretboard)

My KS-1 has a slightly wider nut, at 36.7 mm. My vintage Martin sopranos are 36.3 mm and 35.7 mm. I find that Kiwaya's slightly wider nut makes many fingerings a bit easier.

If one were to want solid wood, the Kiwaya KTS4 is a fabulous instrument. It has all the same playability benefits and great sound from the solid wood. I once had one and in a fit of insanity I sold it. :(

I have one coming from HMS later this week. Can't wait to play it.

Sort of confusing, with all this talk of how good martin Kiawya copies are for the money, lets say the
the Kiwaya KTS4 for $ 600 bucks......why is no one buying the as new 2011 Martin Style 2 real deal (and higher model) in the classifieds for $600?????.

Would you rather have a Kiwaya KTS4 copy than a real martin style 2 for 600 bucks??..

Last edited:
Just an FYI on strings for KS-1. Mine had some type of flourocarbons on there when I received it, probably the original strings, but not sure. They sounded pretty good, but I wanted to try some different strings. I had a slightly used set of Worth Browns, and tried them, it seemed to suck all the life out of the uke, good tone, but big volume drop, and generally uninspiring. They came off quick, and I installed a new set of Worth Clears. Wow! It's a cannon now, and not too bright either, just perfect, and even more similar to my vintage Martin.

I installed a new set of Worth Clears. Wow! It's a cannon now, and not too bright either, just perfect, and even more similar to my vintage Martin.

Ooh, time for a new video! ;)

Top Bottom