Which Strings

Me Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I have searched within the board for information regarding strings. Usually discussion about a particular brand / model, but nothing recent regards current strings on the market.

I am new to ukulele so don't flame me for stupid questions. I am looking at 2nd hand entry level ukes and accept most being sold may need new strings. So we are not talking high end craftsman made ukes here. Just factory makes.

I have read Aquila Nylgut are popular but also some sites suggesting they are not bright enough. Any reason not to fit these and what are others using?

For the record I am looking at a used Samick (Greg Bennet UK70 ...concert) with veneer top. The other candidate is a Legend (solid spruce top) tenor. I do not think it is Lanikai Legend series, rather an old Aussie import brand.

So tell me about your strings?

I would encourage you to use the search function to see what has been said in the past. There are so many options that a concise conversation just isn’t possible.

A good starting point is Aquila SuperNylgut and Martin M600 Fluorocarbons. These are both inexpensive and available everywhere. Try one, then the other, and that will know whether you prefer a nylon/gut sound or a fluorocarbon sound. And then you can try other types of fluorocarbons...Worth, Living Waters, etc.

You have to find out what you like...strings are one of the most subjective aspects of the ukulele world.

I would encourage you to use the search function to see what has been said in the past. There are so many options that a concise conversation just isn’t possible.

A good starting point is Aquila SuperNylgut and Martin M600 Fluorocarbons. These are both inexpensive and available everywhere. Try one, then the other, and that will know whether you prefer a nylon/gut sound or a fluorocarbon sound. And then you can try other types of fluorocarbons...Worth, Living Waters, etc.

You have to find out what you like...strings are one of the most subjective aspects of the ukulele world.
That's the winner, and what I was going to post.
Lots of opinions on what people like. But keep in mind that even if you favor one type of string or another the individual ukulele may have its own preference.

What others said above is good advice.

There have been what seems like trillions of threads talking about strings here.

if you cannot find them, then maybe you need to modify your search method. Meaning, you can use Google to search the forum, and put something like this in the Google search box:

allintitle:strings site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com

subsitute any word or phrase after the "allintitle:"

this "allintitle:" gives you any page with your searched terms in the title, instead of anywhere on the page, otherwise you will spend the rest of your natural life looking for relevant results

also the "site:" forces google to only look at that specific web site and note that www.ukuleleunderground.com is a different site hosted there than forum.ukuleleunderground.com, I've seen people say that the Google thing does not work, when in fact they pointed it at the wrong domain.

The www... is a teaching and lessons site, and the forum... is this here where we are.

Also, one of the premiere and most well-like dedicated string vendors with very good prices has all of their ukulele strings shown here:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ukulele-strings-684/

I think Living Water strings would sound good on anything...:shaka:

Lol Aquila nylguts not bright enough? They're one of the brightest sounding strings.
They were designed with brightness in mind.
Just goes to show, you gotta take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

End of the day, strings are strings.
It's hard to find a "bad" brand of strings per se if you stick to reputable known brands.

I spent several years avoiding Aquilas, because they seemed so "generic" and everywhere, but now I'm back to using them.
They feel comfortable to play and give good projection on most ukes.
I suppose in my earlier years, what brand instrument I had. What wood it is. What size? Is it solid or laminate? What strings?
Things like this seemed to matter most.

However as the years go on, a good ukulele is a good ukulele. Good strings are good strings.
Those things matter less, as I - the performer - is the instrument

Long story short, just pick any well known brand of string.
Try out for yourself. It may take going through several different brands to find out what your personal tastes are.
And even one's personal taste evolves and changes over time.
There's no wrong choice. There's no "correct" selection based on what other people on the internet think. There is no unanimous, absolutely perfect string. You just need to try them out and feel and hear the difference for yourself and decide if you like it or not.

Can't go wrong with Aquilas. I also like D'addario Pro-Arte, for a tone that is the opposite of Aquilas (VERY mellow, fat and warm sounding).
Can't go wrong with Martin fluorocarbons, Fremont, Worth, Living Water.... and practically any other reputable brand. I also like using classical guitar strings and making my own ukulele sets with them (Savarez, Thomastik, Hannabach, etc)

Keep in mind the differences between nylon, nylgut and fluorocarbon.
I liked fluorocarbon once upon a time... but I don't really use them nowadays. Somehow, they feel a bit harder on the fingers or to be "too thin" for me to be tactile with them. This is just personal preference.

Last edited:
Honestly, strings are so inexpensive that it would be worth it buying a few packs and just trying them out. It’s really fun (IMO), and you learn a lot about what kind of sound you want out of your uke. You can’t just ask for the best set of strings because some people here prefer fishing line, other prefer Aquila Sugar. It’s all preference and something you should really take the time to explore.

Also, pay attention to the tonal qualities of the wood your uke is made of. I have a solid spruce top (bright and loud tone wood) tenor and found that I really like balancing it with warmer tone strings. Have fun!

I am just the opposite of Kissing, two posts above... fluorocarbons feel much less painful to my fingers, and the nylon types are too thick and hard for me! You really, really do have to try strings for yourself. And it is fun to do the research and order things from Strings By Mail (cheapest price on Worth Brown Lights I could find), or elsewhere.

Top Bottom