Paypal Friends and Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just add 3.5 % then the seller is happy, has my correct shipping address and im protected from loss. If im selling something for 500.00 you can pay cash ,usps money order or Pay pal 500 net to me..

Different world innit? I remember back in the late 90s when we first got onto ebay, we didn't have paypal, so international sent cash through the post, Uk sent cheque or postal order. Days of trust and no paypal fees. In 3 years of trading before paypal, I lost one deal which cost me $3, about £2 then....offset that against todays fees.....

I’m a fan of listing an instrument for the cost of the instrument, shipping, and any fees you would incur. I think all of us know what the lowest price we would accept would be...I had an offer turned down over a $25...which is okay!

I never want to sell on eBay again. Between listing fees, percent of sale, and PayPal fees, the resulting bids yielded a much lower price than I would have accepted on Craigslist or in the case of the Marketplace, UU.

Also...if you use a debit card, you could use Apple Pay Cash for free for payments. I paid for one of our ukulele club hats using this method.

When I've sold ukes on here before, I put in my post that I take PayPal friends and family payments or goods and services, but buyer pays the PayPal fees. Most of the time the buyers have chosen to just do friends and family but I do give the option for them to go either way.

When I've sold ukes on here before, I put in my post that I take PayPal friends and family payments or goods and services, but buyer pays the PayPal fees. Most of the time the buyers have chosen to just do friends and family but I do give the option for them to go either way.

If you are getting the benefits that come with using PayPal , then why do you want someone else to pay your fees?

Geez, it's not rocket science! If you want to use Paypal, just figure out how much you want to net, then add the Paypal fees, shipping charges, and the eBay fees (if using them). There's your selling price. If it's too high for a potential buyer, they can go elsewhere, and/or you can wait until an agreeable buyer comes along.

BTW, eBay fees are too high IMO. I buy there, but never sell there, and see many leaving ebay for Reverb (like Mim)

I belong to another forum (outdoor activity related) that has a For Sale forum. Paypal Friends & Family is not allowed. If you put that in your for sale ad the moderators will contact you to amend the post or remove the item for sale. I sold a lot of stuff over the years on that forum. Small items of $100 or less. 99% of my transactions went great. I did have a couple people try to get me to send the item to an address other than what was on their Paypal account. That can also be a scam. When I explained that I could only send the item to the Paypal address, they cancelled the sale. Not sure if they were legit or scammers??? I'm fine with regular Paypal, and paying the 3% fee myself. Not a big deal to me & keeps everybody safe & happy.

Last edited:
I have actually sent a few ukes before money was exchanged. I have also traded before and sent blindly through the mail. Using best judgment I have never been burned. Yes there are many ppl that I trust that well. It’s no longer an issue and it’s definitely not a math issue. Notice has been taken and listings have been revised.

Last edited:
PayPal has screwed me as a seller, and I will not give them any money. I terminated my PayPal credit and won’t accept PayPal payments. Here’s the story:
I sold a bike frame on eBay, sent it, and the buyer claimed it was defective. It was not. I said I would refund he money if he sent it back. PayPal took back the money from my account, and HE SENT BACK AN EMPTY BOX AND KEPT THE FRAME.
I spent hours providing evidence to PayPal, pictures, etc. They said I had no case.
Good luck as a seller with PayPal.......

I have had similar cases on Ebay; Paypal is definitely not fool proof. Buying something is easy; Much of the risk is on the seller as well that ppl don’t realize. I have had numerous buyers try to scam me on Ebay. When you have 1000+ in sales you see quite a bit! Some people may feel very different about these fees and this “buyers protection” if they were on the opposite end and could see how little it will do for them as a seller when they are in need.

PayPal has screwed me as a seller, and I will not give them any money. I terminated my PayPal credit and won’t accept PayPal payments. Here’s the story:
I sold a bike frame on eBay, sent it, and the buyer claimed it was defective. It was not. I said I would refund he money if he sent it back. PayPal took back the money from my account, and HE SENT BACK AN EMPTY BOX AND KEPT THE FRAME.
I spent hours providing evidence to PayPal, pictures, etc. They said I had no case.

I have sold over 50 instruments using PayPal without issue. I NEVER leave money in my PP account .

I have had similar cases on Ebay; Paypal is definitely not fool proof. Buying something is easy; Much of the risk is on the seller as well that ppl don’t realize. I have had numerous buyers try to scam me on Ebay. When you have 1000+ in sales you see quite a bit! Some people may feel very different about these fees and this “buyers protection” if they were on the opposite end and could see how little it will do for them as a seller when they are in need.

Then your answer is to not use the service, not to defraud them of their fee.

Great thread! I have learned a lot. Bought a lot off eBay, but never sold anything. I have heard the horror stories and give sellers a pretty long leash. It has to be very obvious that something intentional was done for me to leave negative feedback.

Based on the information above, I would think it would be prudent for UU to no longer allow friends and family payments in listings. It would seem to open up the site to potential repercussions (fines?) if PayPal felt that is was being condoned or encouraged by UU. Not my call, but looks like a no-brainer to me. Tough enough running this site without that in the background.

John

I have a friend with a similar story with motor bike parts he was selling. The buyer claimed the product was not correct and got his money back from paypal but never returned the item. Paypal didn't care. Buyer got his stuff free. Paypal in not 100% safe for either party. Let your conscience be your guide. I tend to not purchase from someone new to a forum. Selling to a first time poster I may insist on friends and family. On this site I have had several good transactions but have also backed out of a purchase when things didn't feel right. I sold a uke to someone here that if I remember correctly was done as F&F and was crushed by USPS. USPS insurance covered the cost of the uke.

On the same note I have trusted people with sending their check at the same time as I sent them the item. I like believe I live in a world where most of the people I deal with are honest. At least with the ski, motorcycle and music sites I join. Again let your conscience be your guide. At least until the time I get screwed and never trust anyone on craig's list.

Last edited:
Then your answer is to not use the service, not to defraud them of their fee.

How do you defraud paypal of their fee? They get their fee friends & family or not.

Lots of the discussion seems to be about trust issues and/or ethical buyers and sellers.

This is tangential to the point of official rules of PayPal, and how the service is meant to operate.

Whether you love or hate PayPal, is up to you, but if you want to use the service to your best advantage, and have leverage in case of any mishap, your best chance is to play by their rules and not to cheat the system.

It's up to you what you want to talk about, but this topic is already turning into churn and friction, of who's right and who's wrong, and it's not about the OPINION of anyone here, it's about compliance with the 'Terms Of Service' of PayPal, which we all ticked the box 'I Agree' when creating and account.

Even if you did not read the document, you are bound to it since you agreed to it.

As other's have said, if you do not like their terms, then do not use the service. Nobody has a gun to your head.

PayPal offers a service that eases friction to transfer money, and for lots and lots of people this is worth their fees, which again you can figure out in 2-clicks after going here without doing any math:

http://thefeecalculator.com/

Wining about a legal contract you already accepted, and trying to cheat the system are different issues and if that's what this thread is to become, I am going to have to leave this discussion.

If you want to debate the merits of PayPal and fight their policies, might I suggest that such conversation for planning the rebellion could be better served elsewhere.

There are also a few web sites to share horror stories with others that want to share them, such as

I am not a moderator, nor do I have any authority, but I am humbly begging you to please stay on topic here.

How do you defraud paypal of their fee? They get their fee friends & family or not.

There are no fees when using friends and family, which is why so many sellers prefer it.

Lots of the discussion seems to be about trust issues and/or ethical buyers and sellers.

This is tangential to the point of official rules of PayPal, and how the service is meant to operate.

Whether you love or hate PayPal, is up to you, but if you want to use the service to your best advantage, and have leverage in case of any mishap, your best chance is to play by their rules and not to cheat the system.

It's up to you what you want to talk about, but this topic is already turning into churn and friction, of who's right and who's wrong, and it's not about the OPINION of anyone here, it's about compliance with the 'Terms Of Service' of PayPal, which we all ticked the box 'I Agree' when creating and account.

Even if you did not read the document, you are bound to it since you agreed to it.

As other's have said, if you do not like their terms, then do not use the service. Nobody has a gun to your head.

PayPal offers a service that eases friction to transfer money, and for lots and lots of people this is worth their fees, which again you can figure out in 2-clicks after going here without doing any math:

http://thefeecalculator.com/

Wining about a legal contract you already accepted, and trying to cheat the system are different issues and if that's what this thread is to become, I am going to have to leave this discussion.

If you want to debate the merits of PayPal and fight their policies, might I suggest that such conversation for planning the rebellion could be better served elsewhere.

There are also a few web sites to share horror stories with others that want to share them, such as

I am not a moderator, nor do I have any authority, but I am humbly begging you to please stay on topic here.

The whole thread has been on topic, and is something that I am delighted has been brought up. In my opinion the topic has been debated in the right spirit, as adults are supposed to do.

The whole thread has been on topic, and is something that I am delighted has been brought up. In my opinion the topic has been debated in the right spirit, as adults are supposed to do.

Dennis, thanks for your reply.

Maybe, then it is me that has gone astray?

If so, I apologize as this was never my intent.

Please carry on. \m/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom