Shima Ukulele anyone?

Wow, didn't know this was a thing. Is this a relatively new venture?
What an exciting endeavour.

Good guy Jake.
Makes own brand of ukuleles. Price accessible to most :)

EDIT: Oh I mustn't... mustn't...mustn't... UAS bug getting me bad. Thanks for this

EDIT 2: Ok ok.. I crumbled and ordered one.. on the condition I'll never need to buy another ukulele again. And don't tell the wife.
I think I need to go on the UAS-Anonymous program again

Last edited:
It says laminated mahogany body. I assume that it means the top as well, since there is no other mention.

What is "Reconstituted Rosewood"? :confused:

how will you ever know if its just an Ohana or Kala with a new name on headstock.?
300 bucks for an all laminate. ? count me OUT. You can buy an allsolid wood Ohana
for that or a cordorba 30 series all solid on sale.

I was trying to sell an very nice all laminate Kala tenor exotic mahogany with pickup brand new here with case for $99.00 bucks shipped! and no one wanted it. I gave it away.

Last edited:
What is "Reconstituted Rosewood"? :confused:

It comes dehydrated and they add water.

Actually my guess would be that perhaps it is in some way recycled or formed like plywood (?)

Anyone getting the new Shima Ukulele? Designed by Jake Shimabukuro.

Not for $300 for a laminate soprano...you could get an Islander MS-4 for 1/3 that.

Kiwaya can make a great all laminate soprano for around $300, why not this one? If the build quality and sound is as good as the Kiwaya, I say go for it.

This is just so bad in every possible way. Jake needs to stick with playing and let his brother find another job. (That was harsh). But really, a $50 uke for $300? Trying to sell them by using a charity angle? Wide Neck? How wide? With Tenor Range? What exactly does that mean? Good grief.

On the contrary, laminate doesn't mean bad - and seeing how they are proud to admit it is laminate just might mean it's one of the good quality ones.

For example, people happily spend that amount of money on a Flea/Fluke or Kiwaya made of laminate. If this one is as well made and designed as described on the website - and from the photos it looks pretty pro - I'd say it's worth it.

In fact, the price is modest for something being endorsed by a celebrity like Jake. I think they genuinely wanted to bring a quality product to market that doesn't break the bank. If Jake was ambitious in a purely capitalist way, I'm sure his fame alone would have made people willing to pay a lot more for a uke that he personally approves of.

I'm just glad it's not some $5000+ custom.

And I guess it's a wide neck, long scale Soprano with about 18 frets. Not too hard to understand. Seems to be a scale a lot of us would appreciate playing.

Last edited:
The main problem with this roll out is the lack of detailed information. Unfortunately the website is lacking information, sound samples (you know there is no lack of talent there to be able put up some excellent videos), etc. This really surprises me.

All that said, until someone actually has a chance to see and play one it is anyone's guess where this ukulele fits between a Makala and a Kiwaya. If it is similar to the latter, there will be a much different response.

Personally I don't think Jake would peddle junk to make a quick buck. Considering his livelihood and his devoted fans, it would not be a positive endeavor.

John

why not buy an OHANA SK30L soprano with Tenor Neck all sold wood for $179.00 shipped from MIM on reverb instead of 300 bucks for a laminate.

Personally I would rather see a $2000 Jake special issue model made by Kamaka or Koaloha, similar like what Martin did for IZ.

Last edited:
Not for $300 for a laminate soprano
That was my first thought

Kiwaya can make a great all laminate soprano for around $300, why not this one?
That was my second thought

The main problem with this roll out is the lack of detailed information....until someone actually has a chance to see and play one it is anyone's guess where this ukulele fits between a Makala and a Kiwaya.
Third thought

And I guess it's a wide neck, long scale Soprano with about 18 frets.

Actually I didn't think of that. Nowhere does it give a scale length. I agree that would make it much more appealing to me at least.

More info required! Sound samples would be nice. A little more back story or specs would help.

How new is the listing? Did the website literally go up when this topic was made? Have not heard of a single soul owning one yet.
I may be one of the first..

Unfortunately I have to wait for international shipping to Australia

Last edited:
why not buy an OHANA SK30L soprano with Tenor Neck all sold wood for $179.00 shipped from MIM on reverb instead of 300 bucks for a laminate.

Personally I would rather see a $2000 Jake special issue model made by Kamaka or Koaloha, similar like what Martin did for Iz

1. Because the Shima uke has a cool Jake logo :p

2. Kamaka did do a Jake special edition in limited supply. It cost several thousands of dollars

Top Bottom