NUD: I'iwi Torrefied Spruce/Figured Walnut Tenor

good_uke_boy

Reaction score
I've been mesmerized by the reviews and tone of Charles Fukuba's ukuleles, as presented both here on UU and on theukulelesite (HMS). (@Down_Up_Dave: I'm thinkin' about the NUD for your I'iwi. :)) So, when this spruce/walnut instrument popped up on theukulelesite, I was quick to pull the trigger.

I'm very pleased with this uke's tone. I expected that after seeing Corey's video demo on HMS. But I'm especially happy with this instrument's playability. It's light and very comfortable to play. And the build quality is excellent.

I know I've got a long way to go as a player, but here's a quick video sample. Thanks, UU!

O-oh, that does sound very tempting indeed. Congratulations, what a wonderful ukulele in every aspect!

This one has a very sweet tune to it. The spruce looks like cedar. A bit darker than I thought. I’iwi has great craftsmanship! Quite a looker. You certainly grabbed this one fast!
You have quite a collection. What’s next on your list?
Congratulations on the new addition! Keep them coming so I can watch with envy! ;)
Somewhere over the rainbow is a great song choice! Bravo!
Thank you for alerting me or I would have missed!

What’s next on your list?

I've got one more in the works. A custom Hive that's been in the works for well over a year, and that probably is many months from completion.

After that one arrives, I'll be done. I promise.

I've got one more in the works. A custom Hive that's been in the works for well over a year, and that probably is many months from completion.

After that one arrives, I'll be done. I promise.

Our famous last word. This is as bad as saying I am starting a diet! You end up eating more! :D. It’s only March, my friend ! Ha ha

Congrats on the new uke!
Nice job on the song, I've tried two different versions of it and I suck at it!

Thanks very much everyone! And thanks to Charles Fukuba for making such a sweet instrument.

Congrats, @good_uke_boy. Charles does build a very nice looking and sounding uke! I find them very comfortable to hold, too.

Look forward to welcoming you to the Bee Hive when yours arrives! ;-)

Sweet sounding uke, enjoyed your playing, well done. To really bring out the warmth in tone consider trying B or Bb tuning. I prefer playing a mango I’iwi in B tuning.

Congratulations Kevin on getting that I'iwi, I am glad I had some influence on you making the decision to buy one. As I have stated here before my I'iwi is one of three instruments I will never sell. As you say the playability and craftmanship are as good as the sound. Yours sounds fabulous, great balance of highs and lows. You play very well and really made this instrument sing.

@Ukulele Eddie, @Doc_J, @DownUpDave: Thanks very much! I'm really enjoying this instrument. And I think I'll give Bb or B tuning a try.

@Lapyang: Thanks. Please know this is not my version. The arrangement is by Mark Nelson, from his book "Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele," page 52. https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Fingerstyle-Solos-Ukulele/dp/0786687215 . I'm sure you can tell -- I'm still learning!

Top Bottom