Worried about plagiarism?

There is no issue here. You can buy Strat bodies and plans everywhere, and a zillion overseas copies of this iconic guitar have been made. No different than the fact that many builders have bought and worked off traditional plans for acoustic guitars and ukes at some point. This PRS Strat-ish guitar is a Strat style, but taken to a much higher level, and with significant differences in quality of parts, fit, and finish. Fender would do well to copy it and the level of workmanship.

There is no issue here.

I tend to agree. Its an ugly practice, but Strat knockoffs have been around for decades. The PRS guitars here aren't the worst offenders. You can tell the difference, and the instruments seem pretty nice. Fender even sells copies and puts the Stratocaster name on them. (There's your travesty)
There have been a couple of threads here on UU in the past exposing thieves who've made cheap, but obvious copies of KoAlohas and Moore Bettas. Now, the copies of Chuck Moore's instruments I found infuriating. I hope someone will search for that thread and post a link.

I have no issue either and surer, the PRS is going to have a higher build quality. The sad part is they felt they had to do it. When you look at the work someone like David Myka (mykaguitars.com) or Ryan Martian (often mispelled as Martin but is MARTIAN of magicwandguitars.com )you see there really is no need to flagrantly copy someone else's iconic ( and let's be clear her, this is an icon of design) work. A company of the stature of PRS should actually be better than this don't you think? This is lazy and cynical in my opinion and shows up real weaknesses in both Fender and PRS. Both could do much better. The great thing about this is Fenders's 'troll' response with it's roasted sunburst addy....

I also agree that you cannot improve on the Martin soprano design - to me, it is perfection. Their other iterations tho....

Plagiarism occurs when a writer duplicates another writer's language or ideas and then calls the work his or her own. If you steal someone else's song or story and call it your own, you are guilty of plagiarism.
If you copy someone else's design you are guilty of copyright infringement. If PRS is guilty of anything, it is copyright infringement, not plagiarism.

Mayer made em do it. He likes PRS guits and strats, probably just wanted a PRS, but with strat body. You don't think they just did it for the money?

Top Bottom