Fluke strap experiments

UkingViking

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with different ways of putting a strap on a fluke without strap pins or adhesives.

I thought I would share my experience, in case someone is looking to stitch together something like it.

Basically the strap loops tightly around the body of the fluke just below the bridge, and has a small strap across the bottom of the fluke to prevent it from slipping up over the strings.

I posted pictures of one before, but this has some improvements:
I replaced the part of the loop behind the fluke with leather from an old belt, so it doesn't slip as easily (see picture 3)
I put in place a tightening elastic band on top of the uke so it doesn't get loose (see picture 4)
With these efforts the strap attaches pretty safely to the fluke.
Make sure to have the strap leave the loop far down the back side of the fluke, not from the top, otherwise it will turn fretboard up when used.

I also tried using a button to attach it to the headstock, see picture 5, but I am not sure this is a good idea. I will definately need to tigthen this button loop if I keep it that way.

FlukeStrap1.jpg FlukeStrap2.jpg FlukeStrap3.jpg FlukeStrap4.jpg FlukeStrap5.jpg

Thanks for the photos! I was at an uke event recently and saw several strap ideas for Magic Fluke Uke's, including one similar to yours. I did decide to go for the one that MF sells with the velcro on the back. Not a big fan of velcro but with the plastic back of the instrument I figured it would clean up ok if I needed to remove the veclro and adhesive. Your strap looks nicely made.:)

This is a new approach I had not seen yet.

Kudos to you Viking for coming up with an innovative and no-harm way to strap your Fluke.

There was a rather extensive thread a while back about putting a strap on Flukes and Fleas, which you can get to from the first post in the MFC megathread. Maybe some ideas therein can help if you need to tweak this further for your needs.

The MFC megathread is linked from my FAQ page, found in my forum signature below.

Very clever, Viking! I'm of a mind to stick a plastic 3M command hook on the back of mine, as I'm with mjh42 in thinking it won't hurt the material. But your idea should work for people who don't want adhesive on their uke. Perhaps even for ukes that are not Flukes or Fleas!

Thanks for sharing!

Very clever, Viking! I'm of a mind to stick a plastic 3M command hook on the back of mine, as I'm with mjh42 in thinking it won't hurt the material. But your idea should work for people who don't want adhesive on their uke. Perhaps even for ukes that are not Flukes or Fleas!

Thanks for sharing!

No issues with adhesives (at least for me) - SEE HERE:

"Fitting a strap to a Fluke"

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119062-Fitting-a-strap-to-a-Fluke

and also

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-anyone-changed-strings&p=1820246#post1820246

Booli, your Fluke/Flea resource thread is such a labor of love. Thank you!

Sure thing! Glad to help.

I mentioned how to get to these very same links from my FAQ page in a post above, but maybe that was not clear enough.

Nevertheless, UkingViking may really be on to something with this one, and I like how this is a newer iteration of a similar strap setup that he has created previously. :)

...UkingViking may really be on to something with this one, and I like how this is a newer iteration of a similar strap setup that he has created previously. :)

Necessity is the mother of invention! People are figuring out ukulele-holding devices that meet both their comfort needs and their desired level of ukulele security.

Are we not such a creative bunch, we uke-players?
:cheers:

Thanks for the positive response.

Att. Booli:
I remember the "Fitting a strap to a Fluke" - thread. My first attempt at a similar solution is posted post #21 in that thread. It also had the loop and the strap across the bottom to keep it from sliding over the strings, but it was all fabric and slipped off easily.
A made a few attemps with the leather-fabric-elastic combo in between. This latest one if pretty functional.
It is, however, also a lot of work to put together, so it probably won't go commercially. I am sure that adhesives works fine and is easier to work with, I just felt like making this.
Perhaps it would be less work if you dont stitch the floral pattern to the cotton strap by hand, but use something easier...

OMG! Thank you for this brilliant idea. I have the Magic Fluke Flea and have been struggling on sticking anything on my uke. Also wasn’t a fan of drilling a hole or the neck soundhole type lanyards or the uke leash type thing so based on the concept posted here, I made my own thing. Thanks! So happy ��

Attachments

• A434EE19-E2BC-4471-9771-F9772B999DD1.jpg
    A434EE19-E2BC-4471-9771-F9772B999DD1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 3B723032-30FD-49D9-A44E-B6A6EEAB3B27.jpg
    3B723032-30FD-49D9-A44E-B6A6EEAB3B27.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 38
  • 0487AD7B-9AAB-442D-A98A-C7AFE90908EF.jpg
    0487AD7B-9AAB-442D-A98A-C7AFE90908EF.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 3F6C9A65-3C93-45CC-AF82-D2002DB45568.jpg
    3F6C9A65-3C93-45CC-AF82-D2002DB45568.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice strap! I like the colours.

I am happy be an inspiration.
I can see that you had to add a button by the base of the neck to make the loop stick due the different shape, but better than a button on the base of the body. That would prevent it from standing.

Top Bottom