• I mostly switch between two that are close in scale lenght

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • I play very different scale lenghts on a regular basis

Votes: 21 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UkingViking

Reaction score
We have a lot of threads on which size uke people prefer.
And judging by the signatures of a lot of ukers here, many have all sizes of ukes in their collection.

I am courious how much people actually divide their attention between the different uke sizes the own, as a contrary to fokusing on their favorite scale length.

I am going to ask how many scale lengths you regularly play.
For this polls intention:
The uke size is given by scale length, a super soprano counts as a concert, a super concert as a tenor etc. It is not about the sound, it is about how different stuff you train your fingers to do.
It is not enough to own a uke of a particular length and playing it on rare occassions here, you have to give it at least 1/3 of the love you give your favorite scale lenght before it counts.

So do you have one favorite you play 90% of the time?
Do you mostly play two neighbouring sizes, e.g. bari + tenor, tenor + concert, concert + soprano, soprano + sopranino?
Or do you spread our ukulele love wider than that?

I am probably 80% soprano, 10% sopranino, 5% concert, 5% tenor.

Fifty fifty concert and soprano. I had two concerts for the longest time, and I bought a soprano recently as a backup more than anything. But I've found that I play the soprano about the same amount as the concert. The one concert has a pickup and the soprano does not, so I tend not to busk or gig much with the soprano. That will change soon and then I will see if the amount of time I play it changes as well.

Speaking for myself, I mostly play concert, but mix it up with a Tenor. Since I strung my tenor with low G I dont play it as much as I used to, but before that it was definately to sizes I played much.

Mostly use my tenor scales, with the occasional concert scale, rarely my baritone, (I seem to have fallen out of love with that scale). ;)

(Don''t have anything smaller than long neck soprano.)

Own 4 ukuleles. 2 true concerts, 1 concert scale tenor, 1 soprano. As far as actual playing time I’d say 80% on the concert scale and 20% soprano. Tried a tenor and did not like the scale. Loved the sound though, so I sure love my “short neck” tenor.

I regularly play 1/3 each, soprano, concert and tenor. That being said, I usually switch them every month. I lead a monthly uke jam so when each month’s set is posted I rotate ukes.

Mostly concert. I only play my tenor when I need the longer scale length or when the extra space between the strings makes it easier to play.

Long-neck tenors 100% of the time. I do have a tenor guitar, a baritone ukulele, and a cigar box cigar, but they are novelties.

My sig says it all so far as MY preferences go.
But each to their own,and whatever you are
happy with!

Top Bottom