Large Hands....is Concert size doable?

Rider

Reaction score
Yeh, I know anything is doable LOL but just wondering if with ring size 12 fingers am I going to find it difficult to use a Concert size ukulele? I read that Tenor size takes a lot more pressure to make chords? So wondered if I would have a better learning experience with Concert size.... Then maybe later go with Tenor.

With the right strings and setup, a tenor does not need a lot more pressure to make chords. Only you can know which size is doable *for you*

Big dudes seem to be those most attracted to the itty-bitty ukes! Or maybe it just seems that way...

Unless you have access to zero music stores for hundreds of miles, making the effort to go and play any and every size you can get your hands on would be well worth your time. Even if you don't like the 'ukulele itself, you'll learn a lot about sizes in the first five seconds of holding it.

Last edited:
ubulele's advice about the nut is good. The best bet is to try the different sizes. I have a tenor and a concert and I don’t think tension is an issue personally.

In your position I would probably lean towards a tenor scale (tenor or long neck concert). But really, try it in person even if it is just to see how the scale feels.

(Just saw Hippy guy's post..good advice)

I prefer concert sized with wide nuts, second favorite is soprano sized, with large nuts.
My hands are large/extra large.
For D and E major cords I'll use Barre chords.
Ultimately go with what you are attracted to, the small
Ukuleles sound like what I heard when I was growing up.

Hi Rider,

Just posted in another thread following Ubulele, and I’m doing it again. First: be warned that if you like the instrument, UAS is bound to follow (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). I counted the other day because my wife was giving me some hassle over the number of instruments in our instrument room, and I was shocked to see that I currently own 24 ukuleles...26 if you count the two cheapos that I have for my six and nine year old. I have also sold or given away four more...so 30 instruments over the past two years, not counting the more than 150 ukuleles that I have purchased for my school (in waves).

I started off with sopranos because I wanted to see what ukulele was about for schools. My first purchase for myself was a Makala MK-CE [Concert], which I still own (and is currently strung with DR Multi-Color Strings so I can make ukulele tutorial videos). My purchases since then have been all over the map with everything from sopranissimo (Ohana’s new TT pineapple) to a cheap Lanikai Baritone that I found on eBay for $40 shipped (Gambler’s special).

All that said, the size that I find myself coming back to the most is Concert. I do think it is worth having a smaller scale (e.g. soprano or smaller) around, as you can travel with it easier, and practicing on the smaller frets builds dexterity that absolutely transfers to larger scales, too.

I should add that I wear men’s size L gloves, and have a ring size of 10.5 to 11 depending on the ring.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I am a 'large dude' with big hands.
And I get along fine with my sopranos! But obviously the
best advice would be to visit a good music store or local
ukulele group, and try out the various sizes for yourself.
You will get more enjoyment from playing the size you are
comfortable with, it's worth the time to try them all!

I always recommend concert scale for a first uke or beginner, it is such a good compromise, not too big, not too small, & takes a low G easily. :)

Big fellas can play sopraninos, & small people play guitars, it's what you get used to. ;)

Very large hands here - mainly play sopranos. But then I pick them carefully based on nut width / string spacing. As I do with any scale really.

I've got sopranos with as much sideways space (the bit that matters for fat fingers) as some tenors..

Size 11 ring finger here. Started out on a Concert, and now I play a Soprano as well. I get along fine.

I was watching a Ukulele Mike video and learned that Oscar Schmidt makes a wide neck tenor (Ou6W). They also make a signature model designed by Ukulele Mike but it costs a lot more than the OU6W, the one that I bought. I do have larger hands and was really fighting playing the standard D chord. No problem doing it on the OU6W tenor that cost me around $190. No regrets and it has a nice sound and looks good too. YMMV

Have you tried barring (I don't know how to spell that) just the three strings on, for example, D? Much easier than trying to mash all your fingers on there, and if you can do it, the width of the neck isn't very important. There's a YouTube video by, I think, Aldrine. Someone from HMS, anyway. It's supposedly an "advanced" fingerings, but I find it far easier than the other way.

Hi Rider,

Just posted in another thread following Ubulele, and I’m doing it again. First: be warned that if you like the instrument, UAS is bound to follow (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). I counted the other day because my wife was giving me some hassle over the number of instruments in our instrument room, and I was shocked to see that I currently own 24 ukuleles...26 if you count the two cheapos that I have for my six and nine year old. I have also sold or given away four more...so 30 instruments over the past two years, not counting the more than 150 ukuleles that I have purchased for my school (in waves).

I started off with sopranos because I wanted to see what ukulele was about for schools. My first purchase for myself was a Makala MK-CE [Concert], which I still own (and is currently strung with DR Multi-Color Strings so I can make ukulele tutorial videos). My purchases since then have been all over the map with everything from sopranissimo (Ohana’s new TT pineapple) to a cheap Lanikai Baritone that I found on eBay for $40 shipped (Gambler’s special).

All that said, the size that I find myself coming back to the most is Concert. I do think it is worth having a smaller scale (e.g. soprano or smaller) around, as you can travel with it easier, and practicing on the smaller frets builds dexterity that absolutely transfers to larger scales, too.

I should add that I wear men’s size L gloves, and have a ring size of 10.5 to 11 depending on the ring.

I am redeemed...thank you!!!

Top Bottom