Banjo Mutes?

besley

Reaction score
My local uke club has gone banjo uke crazy. At last night's jam there were 13 people, and 6 banjo ukes! As you might imagine things got loud.

Which got me to thinking about mutes. Up to now I'd just been using some quilt batting in the open back of my Firefly. But I knew there were actual banjo mutes available, so I thought I'd try one. In particular, this one by Gold Tone.

1-front.jpg

Got it yesterday, and sent it back today. In use you slide it over the bridge of your banjo (or banjo uke) and from the comments it is well regarded - at least by banjo players. But getting it on the bridge of a banjo uke is a pain because the string tension is so much less that the bridge is invariably knocked out of place during installation. Which means you have to reposition the bridge and probably retune. And while it does reduce the volume, it also drastically changed the tone. Instead of a banjo, it now sounds like a cheap guitar.

Not worth it. Stick with the quilt batting (or old socks).

Thank you - good to know! Used towels/socks/t-shirts are cheaper too (and probably better smelling assuming you washed them recently)

I play a lot of banjo uke.

the best is

MOONGEL Dampening pods by Rtom

they are sticky clear gel pods that stick under the banjo head drum. they really work. and its cheap. find them on ebay...you can use one or more at at different locations to fine tune the sound you want.

Last edited:
Is this the product?

https://www.amazon.com/Moongel-RTOM-Resonance-Pads/dp/B00GXNZP80?th=1

Do they fall off/ need to re-wetted every time you use them? Or just stick them on, leave them and you're all set?

Thanks - this might be very useful indeed

the best is

they are sticky clear gel pods that stick under the banjo head drum. they really work. and its cheap. find them on ebay...you can use one or more at at different locations to fine tune the sound you want.

the best is

I second these Mike. Just got some recently , they are excellent.

I use socks for my banjos and banjoleles. If you slide them directly under the bridge, they have the greatest muting effect and you can slide them towards the heel for less muting. (I find that red ones work best.)

Alligator clips also seem to work well too. They stay put and don't slip off while you're playing the way clothespins do.

Mute#2.jpg mute.jpg

Top Bottom