KoAlana - by KoAloha

Prices are not unclear, as I mentioned, these prices are from an e-mail I received directly from Koaloha themselves.

I saw that before (thanks for posting the info) but that was back in March, things could have changed. Also dealers may be selling them at lower prices than manufacturer's price tags (I am seeing lower prices for the same models on Mim's store compared to KoAloha's official site). And there has been no mention of prices on KoAloha channels - that's what I meant by unclear. But it will most likely be in the ballpark of what you posted.

One of the things I have seen from KoAloha is a relentless pursuit to try new things while holding true to their original designs. They clearly understand that a good percentage of the population isn’t going to pay $500 (Opio) or $1000 (KoAloha) for a ukulele—no matter how good they sound. So the backwards design to a $200 (or less) ukulele makes sense—as does the company’s continued work with other woods in their designs (Full Mahogany and Mango this year, Spruce in the Opio line).

From appearance alone, the new KoAlanas (versus the last laminate models) are a great improvement and will likely be a nice option versus similarly priced Kala, Ohana, and Lanikai models. Some of those other brands are getting into solid wood configurations at that price point—but most are high end laminates.

If you like KoAloha but want a model that requires less attention to climate, the new KoAlana looks like the answer.

Has online seen mention of a Baritone?

From what I remember, Papa KoAloha has mentioned in the past that he wanted to introduce a baritone to their Hawaiian line of ukes, but that he never got around to do the design. I wouldn't get my hopes up that we see such a model any time soon. If they will make one, it would probably first be introduced in their Hawaiian line.

KoAloha abandoned the KoAlana line for a brief period of time. It was a complete flop, TWICE. They were notoriously bad instruments. KoAloha started from scratch to develop the Opio. There are no KoAlanas that are near the equivalent of the Opio instruments. KoAlana is simply a cheap ukulele made in Asia for KoAloha. The Opio line was very meticulously developed by KoAloha experts themselves. They traveled back and forth to Thailand for years to get it right. I have no experience with the current KoAlanas, but I assume they are better than the previous ones were. Be forewarned though, they are not even intended to be on par with Opio.
I am compelled to commend them for the work they did. KoAloha is the example that proves the old adage "you get what you pay for".

Please excuse the thread necro, but I don’t believe this to be correct. The first Koalana line was cheap and made in a Chinese factory. The first set of Uke’s they developed at their own Thai factory were not the Opio’s, but the precursor to the Opio, which were the Koalanas (not to be confused with the Chinese ones). These were constructed exactly as the Koalohas were constructed, but out of Sapele. They sounded fantastic, but regretfully had cracking issues as the factory wasn’t climate Controlled. The comments above that you attributed to the Opio concerning sending their people to Thailand. The Koalanas I speak of were made in the Thai factory using the same equipment and procedures as the Koalohas, and they were being supervised by the Hawaiian staff that they sent. This info was advertised back when the Sapele Koalanas were being sold. Too bad most of them were returned due to cracking.
I think the Opio’s were produced after they solved the factory climate control issues. Anyone who remembers, correct any inaccuracies I may have posted.

This link says it all from their original sales: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLeb-O478nk

Last edited:
Top Bottom