Box-less shipping

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Looks like a decent case is included, so it might not be that risky. Of course, will the seller at least cover the shrink wrap with paper?

True a good hard case would probably handle the rigors of the USPS system. However the uke might be subject to extreme temperature/humidity without the insulation a box with padding would provide. Not a fan of this short cut.

Thirteen hundred transactions with 100% satisfaction. One would assume that they know what they are doing.

Thirteen hundred transactions with 100% satisfaction. One would assume that they know what they are doing.

are these folks a Ukulele/Guitar dealer or a pawn shop? the no return policy makes my wonder if this is a good idea....

This was a decent case.... until it was sent unboxed
case.jpg case2.jpg

The seller in the advertisement is located in Ohio, only about 450 miles from New York City. The advertisement says the item wont post to Australia so its probably only available to buyer in continental USA, most of whom live within an easy 8 - 10 hour drive in a truck or a short trip in an aeroplane (or car if you want to pick it up yourself). So I think it is going to be fairly safe in a case that is offered with the sale.
The seller also looks like a larger business that has 1323 successful eBay sales and is a power seller, it also seems to have a lot of success on other internet based selling platforms. If something goes wrong, you could actually drive to the shop to get it sorted out if you really wanted to, but it looks like the seller knows a few things about shipping fragile items around the USA, and is doing it all the time.
If you want to buy the ukulele, set up to place a winning bid before the auction closes.
It would be nice if other UU members could stop posting comments like this with links to competing selling platforms and the unnecessarily negative comments. Part of the fun of collecting ukuleles is finding the advertisements and plotting to get the lowest price and trying to limit competing bids by being quiet about finding the items. Posts with a link like we see in this post, ruins the fun for many collectors and just increases the number of potential bidders. The seller in this case is perfectly able to do its own marketing. Buyers looking for a Kamoa uke are perfectly able to find the ad on eBay. They don't need to use UU to find buyers or sellers.
If you come across a juicy advertisement, no-one will think you are cool if you spread it all over the internet. They will think you are trying to influence the sale in your own favour or they will see you as an idiot. When there is a continual stream of links and narky comments, they will think there is definite trend to influence sales. Let everyone have a chance to do their own research and keep it to yourself, unless they have something to swap with you for the information. If you are not involved in a sale which involves real money, mind your own business. In the event that you detect something illegal or unethical, report it to the relevant authorities who can deal with it and follow their directions.

I didn't think my post was "unnecessarily negative" I was simply commenting on the original title of Boxless Shipping - and the risks of such.
However, I do agree to an extent about influencing sales, though I don't believe there was any such intention in this case.

This was a decent case.... until it was sent unboxed
View attachment 107341 View attachment 107342

Sad to say that that is what I have come to expect of package and postal services. As and when I sell anything that is posted I spend a lot of time boxing and bubble wrapping it, I do that because I believe it is necessary and expect others to do the same for me or, in the case of damage, pay for repairs / refund losses.

I must be reading the original post quite differently to Bill, I had thought it was all about good shipping practice. There is a point about spoiling the market for a Uke and I feel sure that the OP had no such intent - and probably hasn’t changed it much if at all. However I do hate it too when someone comes along and spoils the market for a Uke: something I was interested in doubled in price virtually overnight and whilst that’s nice for sellers it’s the opposite for buyers.

Last edited:
NSFW & Yee-Ha!!!

'boxless shipping' to me is like going horseback riding on mountain trails,

and literally 'butt-naked' save for wearing 'ass-less chaps'
Giddy up ya stupid mule ! :deadhorse:

Yeah Bill, it's a vast uke-wing conspiracy to influence sales, and as the OP I must be thought of as uncool, and an idiot. Geez. :rolleyes:

Yeah Bill, it's a vast uke-wing conspiracy to influence sales, and as the OP I must be thought of as uncool, and an idiot. Geez. :rolleyes:

Hey brother, dont beat yourself up too much.

The 'world' will have plenty of opportunities to do that for you. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

Kamoa ukuleles are out if Kauai. I've been to their store in Kapaa. From what I understand, the shop is where Larry's used to be. They are imported ukuleles. My guess is the pre-owned ones were brought back by from a vacation to Ohio. The eBay seller is a pawn shop. Just look at the other items for sale.

John

That's a cool looking Kamoa! I have several friends with Kamoas, they don't get much attention around here on UU. They're nice solid wood imports through a store on Kauai. My friend has that case it's pretty solid, I wouldn't have a problem with their shipping method. That beat up case shown above is cheap plastic and styrofoam.

The seller in the advertisement is located in Ohio, only about 450 miles from New York City. The advertisement says the item wont post to Australia so its probably only available to buyer in continental USA, most of whom live within an easy 8 - 10 hour drive in a truck or a short trip in an aeroplane (or car if you want to pick it up yourself).

I'm not following you here. Most Americans don't live an easy 8-10 hour drive (plus, really? 10 hours each way is easy?) from Ohio, nor even a "short" airplane trip from there. And that's not even considering Alaska or Hawaii. And either option would cost far more than postage.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Midwest and Eastern Seaboard do comprise the bulk of the US population. Either way, neither of these options makes much sense to me.

I didn't think the OP was trying to influence anyone's sales, much less trying to improve his own, he was just sharing something unusual. And he certainly didn't seem malicious.

Last edited:
I think the case is the key here. Provided the case isn't damaged by rough handling, the uke should arrive in good condition. They've probably done this before. I would expect a lower shipping cost, though. Still, I just mailed a Flea, and that cost $18 for postage alone.

Top Bottom