Problem with a bridge on a new fender - is it common?

Gretta

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Bought a fender venice for my daughter (14).
After 1,5 hours, the bridge unglued and flew away.

The shop will return money on Monday. And they suggested to order it again.

My daughter loved this uke, doesn't want anything else.

Is this a known problem with ukes?
I'm afraid it might happen again and not right after purchase.

Is it repairable? Deck wasn't really damaged.

Definitely not common, but that is on the low end of the market, so quality could be hit-or-miss. It could be repairable but for that price, may not be worth it.

Thank you for the answer!

It cost $80 with a discount and I didn't consider it low-end.
The problem is my daughter wants a black instrument (teenagers!), and there's nothing a little higher in price in that colour.

I guess, I'll have to take a risk and be ready to repair it if necessary.

Thanks again.

I'm not saying it's a bad uke. $80 isn't too bad from a local shop considering it is $60 online:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VeniceSopBlk--fender-venice-soprano-uke-black

actually, given your requirements, I'd say it was a good choice. You're right that higher priced models generally want to show off the wood, so getting it in black is kinda rare. And if I search for "black soprano ukulele" I see you could have done a lot, lot worse.

Do you have a clip on tuner? If not, I'd recommend one - or even a tuner app on your phone - to make sure you aren't trying to tune it way too high. Really string tension on a soprano shouldn't be very high, certainly not enough to rip a bridge off unless the bridge just wasn't properly glued down to start with or the strings were tuned way too high.

Wouldn't taking it back and getting it replaced be easier and quicker than finding somewhere to get it fixed, and then paying more for it than you already have? If the store doesn't have on in stock to replace it, and you can get a refund, Jim posted that one at Sweetwater. I'm always astounded by how fast Sweetwater is.

Last edited:
Wouldn't taking it back and getting it replaced be easier and quicker than finding somewhere to get it fixed, and then paying more for it than you already have?
I AM giving it back and getting another one. I meant in case it has the same problem (sorry, English is not my native language). If it happens several months after purchase, I might have trouble returning it. And they don't keep these ukes in stock - just $35 ($20 at Ali) chinese bright-coloured stuff.

As for sweetwater - I'm not in the US, the link doesn't even open. They don't send to my country (I don't blame them, considering how our post and customs work).

Do you have a clip on tuner? If not, I'd recommend one - or even a tuner app on your phone - to make sure you aren't trying to tune it way too high. Really string tension on a soprano shouldn't be very high, certainly not enough to rip a bridge off unless the bridge just wasn't properly glued down to start with or the strings were tuned way too high.
Yes, I have a good tuner with guitar clip. And my daughter has musical education (piano) and plays the guitar (a fender, too :)) - she knows how to tune a uke. I'm sure she coludn't have damaged it by tuning.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Might be worth considering on of the abs/ plastic ukuleles if it needs to be black. There are also a few imports listed on Amazon if you think you would be willing to have a go at tidying it up when it arrives ( e.g there is an 'andoer' on amazon.co.uk) - can't vouch for quality though.

Top Bottom